Agency/Landlord won't carry out repairs

TottzTottz Posts: 74
Forum Member
Hello all

I've been staying at a privately rented property for about 4 months and and theres repairs which haven't been carried out. The major issue we have is that there are crevices/holes which allow Rats to come into the bathroom and kitchen. We had the exterminators round 2 months ago and they discovered a dead decaying rat, which was causing a terrible smell. The exterminators also discovered the holes beneath the bath tub as well as below the sink in our kitchen. Me and the other housemates have sent numerous emails and made phone calls to the agency. However they just keep giving us false promises and excuses as to when the works will be carried out. The smell is absolutely awful and is even more noticeable in this hot weather.

I'm just seriously pissed off as I try to be a good tenant and keep the property clean and pay my rent on time.

What organisations can approach to get help to get these repairs carried out??? I live within the Newham borough. Can the council carry out the works on behalf of the agency as I feel rats are a potential health risk.

I'd appreciate any advice given. thanx :(

Comments

• Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This might help:

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/repairs_and_bad_conditions/repairs_in_private_lets

The website will explain it better than I can but I think you can at least ask the council to order them to repair it by a certain date, if they don't do it themselves. I think environmental health would be interested.

Off the top of my head I don't know what else to recommend, but I hope you manage to get it sorted. Sounds awful to have to live with. :/

Eta: On a look through of that website withholding the rent isn't a good idea, but you might be able deduct repairs from it. Think the council is going to be first port of call though if the landlord continues to be useless. (Think it's slightly different up here in in Scotland as I'm sure you're allowed to do that).
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Contact shelter. They'll be able to give you solid advice about how to deal with the agency/landlord.

Their website seems to suggest you can contact the council yourself to deal with vermin problems: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/repairs_and_bad_conditions/common_problems/pests_and_vermin

Good luck!
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    I will be honest with you, you can get intouch with your local council about these things, BUT you can end up dammed if you do and dammed if you dont, it is very common for landlords to give notice for the tenants to leave, and then just put new tenants in without even doing the work. Tenants being given notice because they have asked for repairs to be done is very common
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simply failing to pay the rent is never a good idea, however there is such a thing as a rent strike. It will cost you some money, as you need to establish a trust account with a lawyer. You then pay the rent into this account instead of to the landlord. The money is held in trust until the repairs are completed. Might be worth talking to a lawyer about anyway. I wish you good luck - dealing with this kind of thing is always a pain! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Plug the holes up with wire/steel wool for now and bill your landlord for the hardware. Definitely contact Shelter/CAB.
  • SunnierSunnier Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awful problem,most councils deal with this for free,..

***Rats: How can the council help?
    If you live in Newham and you have rats in your home our service is free. We will visit your home to find out the size and cause of the problem.

When we visit we will need to know:

where you have seen the rats or the signs of them you have found
    if you or your neighbours have seen rats outside or seen holes in the garden
    of any recent problems with drains in the area
    if there are building works or roadworks nearby.

We will treat the problem, normally by leaving bait which rats like. We will explain what we have done and what you can do to help control the problem in the future.***

Pest Control Service
    Town Hall Annex – First Floor
    330–354 Barking Road
    East Ham
    London
    E6 2RT

020 8430 4133

~ ~ Above is from Newham Council site,they can also be emailed....Good Luck!