Eurosport UK Speedway GP coverage.

NormandyMaryNormandyMary Posts: 865
Forum Member
✭✭
Nowhere near as good as Sky's in previous years although we still have Kelvin and his mate doing the race commentary. My real gripe is with the bloke doing the fill in bits between races. He is plain awful. He um's and er's, doesn't know the rider's names or which colour helmet they are wearing for each race, and talks a load of drivel. I do hope he gets replaced very soon. Perhaps Eurosport will splash the cash and get someone who knows what they are talking about.

Comments

• codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Poor guy, I've only been following and covering the world of Speedway for just over a year now and I know how he feels, there's a hell of a lot of information and precise rules that need to be learnt before you can get your head around the sport....

That said, I think that year's worth of experience is more than the guy doing the links at Eurosport. I think he's their World Series By Renault expert for some reason draughted in to cover the speedway links.

Oh well, I can't be too critical toward him, it's a hard job and I imagine he has a lot less information than those he's broadcasting to, always a tricky prospect!
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowhere near as good as Sky's in previous years although we still have Kelvin and his mate doing the race commentary. My real gripe is with the bloke doing the fill in bits between races. He is plain awful. He um's and er's, doesn't know the rider's names or which colour helmet they are wearing for each race, and talks a load of drivel. I do hope he gets replaced very soon. Perhaps Eurosport will splash the cash and get someone who knows what they are talking about.

Oh come on, is that guy who do the summaries your only gripe. Apart from that how is it "nowhere near as good" what else is there? Considering Sky had been covering this for years they would naturally had it more polished, this is the first time Eurosport have attempted speedway at short notice too, so I think that minor gripe can be forgiven in the first year.

It was Eurosport or nothing, could you honestly see the BBC, ITV or c4 or 5 covering this, so I am just very happy I can see this GP series on Eurosport.

This was great racing tonight and I enjoyed watching it.
  • rmc57rmc57 Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's mystifying how some can say that Eurosport's 'coverage' of the speedway is so much better or worse than Sky's since the vast majority of it is sourced from the same provider, the tournament organisers, Benfield Sports International (BSI).

Up to last year Sky took BSI's production and added studio interviews and links, but apart from Keith Heuwen's pieces with the panel it was all BSI.

This year Sky have not renewed the deal so Eurosport now take BSI's production, just adding a brief summary of the previous four heats periodically with an out of vision presenter who can't even pronounce the names of the riders.

The vast majority of the programme, including the main commentary and interview team is identical. Since Eurosport don't bother with studio presentation they use more of the BSI production but that's all. The camera work and commentary team is totally unchanged!

All Eurosport do is add the summaries.