Options

Paul McCartney & Wings Rockshow Blu-ray

MarshallFishMarshallFish Posts: 94
Forum Member
Last week, the Paul McCartney and Wings Blu-ray/DVD "Rockshow", concert footage from 1976, was released. It had been out of print officially since 1981 or so. It's an interesting film, that shows the group during their one and only U.S. tour. Obviously, they performed in the UK in late 1979, before Sir Paul's January 1980 "incident" in Japan.

Anyone have any thoughts on the new "Rockshow" Blu-ray/DVD? Some have complained there's been some audio problems with the newly reissued "Rockshow", but I haven't noticed that. I have noticed that some of the shots are a little grainy or fuzzy at times, due to the original lighting. Still, it's a fun release to watch.

Marshall

Here's my review of the Rockshow Blu-ray:
http://marshfish.hubpages.com/hub/Paul-McCartney-and-Wings-Rockshow

Comments

• Options
    stevejk75stevejk75 Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got it on day of release from amazon.Waited for years for it on bluray and dvd.I still have the original release on Betamax.
    Wings was in my opinion much better than todays live band.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    im sicking of hearing people slag off mccartney and suggest that he cannot sing.
    well if they took a few minutes out of their lives to watch this they would soon realise that mccartney is possibly one of the greatest singers that has ever lived.
    dont judge him on his 71year old vocals of todat,judge him from his prime and 'rockshow' is the finest example of him at his peak.no wonder 'wings' was the biggest selling act of the 1970s in america........all that and not one mention of 'the beatles' from me
  • Options
    MarshallFishMarshallFish Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    rumandlime wrote: »
    im sicking of hearing people slag off mccartney and suggest that he cannot sing.
    well if they took a few minutes out of their lives to watch this they would soon realise that mccartney is possibly one of the greatest singers that has ever lived.
    dont judge him on his 71year old vocals of todat,judge him from his prime and 'rockshow' is the finest example of him at his peak.no wonder 'wings' was the biggest selling act of the 1970s in america........all that and not one mention of 'the beatles' from me
    I agree with you rumandlime. His vocals were really strong in the Rockshow Blu-ray/DVD, and he's always been, to me, one of the best singers in rock.

Marshall
  • Options
    radrad Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Despite being a Beatles fan for many years, I've only recently started listening to his Wings material. I've not yet seen the DVD of Rockshow. However I did watch his recent performance on the 'Colbert Report' on YouTube. Given the criticism he had received for his vocals recently, he was sounding really good. I wish he would bring his current tour to the UK as I've never seen him live.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member

Sometime over the last few years this idea has taken root that Paul McCartney couldn't ever sing. It's very strange and I have no idea what these people are listening to. Just because his voice has gone at 71 it appears that means he couldn't sing at 28.
    I think his peak was 71 and the Ram album, it's a vocal masterclass.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think his voice has gone now either.

It's not as strong as it was, and it cant be expected to be.

His performance at the charity show in NY just before Xmas was very good, as is every concert recording I've seen in recent years.

Judging him on things like the Olympics is not really fair, because the sound set up for tv in those events does not give an accurate picture.