Is it possible to move out of home, get a good job and stay out? Need life advice!

marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I really dislike living at home. I live with my father and, although we get along, I just feel trapped at times. It's hard to bring girls back as we live in the middle of nowhere, in a small village.

I have just turned 25 this month and I don't feel independent. I know people will say I'm too old to be living at home, but financial and health reasons have kind of set me back.

Don't get me wrong, my dad is 67 and he's had health problems in the past, so I do worry about him. But I can't stay home because of this, I need to move out.

I have no qualms about going abroad by myself, so I'm independent in that sense, but I just feel I need to learn more about the real world. I could live on my own easy, as I know how to fend for my self, but it's just having the finances to do so. Around here it is quite pricey to move out on my own, but I just like my own space.

Also, I have no higher/degree level education, so finding a job that will pay well is not easy. I work in a restaurant kitchen at the moment and I just feel bored and disinterested with the job now. I spoke to a guy I used to go college with today at gym and he's planning to go med school. I felt really jealous as I wish I knew what I wanted to do. I am very indecisive about my current ideas for a career, it's frustrating. And being 25 I feel lots of pressure to get my career started ASAP.

I feel kind of dissalusioned, because It feels like I have no direction at all. Anyone know how I'm feeling? Been there before?

Comments

• AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The world is your oyster, Marc. Stop treading water. Travel, it's easy. You're not married, no kids, get that backpack on and go see the world.
  • marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnitaS wrote: »
    The world is your oyster, Marc. Stop treading water. Travel, it's easy. You're not married, no kids, get that backpack on and go see the world.

This is the thing, I would it for sure, but I really want to sort a career out. I feel that travelling would be my way of escaping things that I need to address. But believe me, I would love to travel. I would love to write travel blogs and record vlogs of my experiences.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FFS just how many threads saying exactly the same thing do you have to start over the course of a month?
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marc_p88 wrote: »
    This is the thing, I would it for sure, but I really want to sort a career out. I feel that travelling would be my way of escaping things that I need to address. But believe me, I would love to travel. I would love to write travel blogs and record vlogs of my experiences.

So do it!! Career later. Don't mess about, just go.
  • Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How cliche
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    FFS just how many threads saying exactly the same thing do you have to start over the course of a month?

I know, it's just the way my psyche works. I think I'm looking for the perfect answer, even though I doubt I'll receive it.
  • Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, it's just the way my psyche works. I think I'm looking for the perfect answer, even though I doubt I'll receive it.

The answer is within you
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How cliche

Why cliche? I'm sure there are many people who are interested in different aspects of travel than I am. There's most likely others that don't have interest in countries or places that I have interest in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The answer is within you

I know it's in me, but I have no idea how to unlock it. I feel frustrated that I don't know it yet.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work in a restaurant kitchen at the moment and I just feel bored and disinterested with the job
    Travelling might be good for you, have you been to France? I feel today is a French day today due to various reasons:D Bonjour Marc:D
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of people have no real idea of what they want to do and just fall into a career.

My advice would be to try different things. Travel, for sure. Maybe get involved in a volunteer programme. Do different types of work. See if anything sparks your interest.

You are very young with a long working life ahead. You don't need to set your career in concrete right now.

Studying is a great way to broaden your horizons but don't do it unless you have a genuine interest in the subject.

There's nothing cliched about travelling and writing about it. Don't be derailed by other people's cynicism. There's a great big world out there. The only regrets you will have is if you are still where you are at 34!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of people have no real idea of what they want to do and just fall into a career.

My advice would be to try different things. Travel, for sure. Maybe get involved in a volunteer programme. Do different types of work. See if anything sparks your interest.

You are very young with a long working life ahead. You don't need to set your career in concrete right now.

Studying is a great way to broaden your horizons but don't do it unless you have a genuine interest in the subject.

There's nothing cliched about travelling and writing about it. Don't be derailed by other people's cynicism. There's a great big world out there. The only regrets you will have is if you are still where you are at 34!

No way I want to be in this situation at 34! I will definitely feel like I've failed in life if that happens. I am motivated to change, it's just having the direction. At the moment, I don't know which direction to take.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because you have a god job does not mean you will be happy, and it does not mean you will be able to move out. It may be different for you, but in London I have both and still cannot move out due to the cost.

If I were you I would save some money to go travelling, and then sort out your career when you come back, your only 25, I know people that have go uni at 30 and started a whole new career successfully.

Before 30 do what you want when you want. At the end of the day lots of people say you need to save for a house, but by the time your 30 house prices will be beyond many people under 35.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    You can move out of the house and muddle things on your own, it may be a bit tough and put a strain in your pocket but you get to try out new things. Plan your course of action thoroughly to maximize your time and money.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go and do one of those schemes for people to work in Canada for a year or whatever it is.

Or go to uni or do a night class in something sensible that you'll get a job out of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Go and do one of those schemes for people to work in Canada for a year or whatever it is.

Or go to uni or do a night class in something sensible that you'll get a job out of.

My local college sent me a letter today to invite me in for interview for access to health studies course on wednesday, but I'm still being indecisive. Arrgghh! Hate being indecisive.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My local college sent me a letter today to invite me in for interview for access to health studies course on wednesday, but I'm still being indecisive. Arrgghh! Hate being indecisive.

Go for it. Best thing I've ever done, that.
  • Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I I know people will say I'm too old to be living at home, but financial and health reasons have kind of set me back.

How many times have you asked this question now? People didn't say you were too old to be living at home last time you posted this question. Do you not read your posts? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people confuse 'having no direction' for 'having had your dreams ritually derided by others'.

How to Find Direction
    Try this. But really give yourself over to the notion.

Imagine you've won the Lottery. You're financially set for life. You have all the physical possessions you've ever wanted or could ever need. You want for nothing. You've been everywhere you want to visit & are married to the woman of your dreams. Your family are set for life too. You are completely content. You want to nothing. The novelty of your situation has now faded.

Now, what are you going to do tomorrow to give your day purpose. When you get up, what & who are you showering & getting dressed for? When you leave the house & drive thru the gates... Where are you going? Who or what is going to benefit from you being there?

THAT.

The answer, however ludicrous & scary - no matter how much you've always told yourself that it is impossible & will never happen - and how uncomfortable it currently makes you... is the answer. Decide to do THAT and then go after it. Never let go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know how you feel. I live with my fiancé but job wise I am unsettled. Thing is no one here can tell you what you care about. If you really want to leave home, apply for any job anywhere and move into a house share. It'll be relatively inexpensive if done right and you'll meet new people. Please stop using indecisiveness as your excuse - you're stopping yourself making any positive changes. Stop pressurising yourself over a career - these take YEARS to build and there is no point thinking about one til you're ready to dedicate yourself to its pursuit.

An Access course is a fab opportunity but you have to work HARD - you don't sound ready. Forget indecisiveness, as above, take some time to consider what you really care about and value. When you know this, you'll find your career path. Until you know, just keep living and please stop focusing on the same bloody questions - you will drive yourself mad!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know how you feel. I live with my fiancé but job wise I am unsettled. Thing is no one here can tell you what you care about. If you really want to leave home, apply for any job anywhere and move into a house share. It'll be relatively inexpensive if done right and you'll meet new people. Please stop using indecisiveness as your excuse - you're stopping yourself making any positive changes. Stop pressurising yourself over a career - these take YEARS to build and there is no point thinking about one til you're ready to dedicate yourself to its pursuit.

An Access course is a fab opportunity but you have to work HARD - you don't sound ready. Forget indecisiveness, as above, take some time to consider what you really care about and value. When you know this, you'll find your career path. Until you know, just keep living and please stop focusing on the same bloody questions - you will drive yourself mad!

I will be honest, I don't feel ready for an access course as stil not sure what to do, but I just want to move out and become independent. I am supposed to go for an interview Friday for interview with local college for access course, but I'm so undecided. I just don't feel I'll get a good job without a degree. I am willing to work hard, but it seems most employers look for a degree. Trust me, I'd work 3 jobs if I had to, but right now I just feel like I need a degree. The thing is, I still suffer from this indecisiveness and it p*sses me off!

Btw, thanks for the advice and you're right, I shouldn't blame indecisiveness, but I don't want to go back into education if im not 100% certain about a subject.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sh'boobie wrote: »
    A lot of people confuse 'having no direction' for 'having had your dreams ritually derided by others'.

How to Find Direction
    Try this. But really give yourself over to the notion.

Imagine you've won the Lottery. You're financially set for life. You have all the physical possessions you've ever wanted or could ever need. You want for nothing. You've been everywhere you want to visit & are married to the woman of your dreams. Your family are set for life too. You are completely content. You want to nothing. The novelty of your situation has now faded.

Now, what are you going to do tomorrow to give your day purpose. When you get up, what & who are you showering & getting dressed for? When you leave the house & drive thru the gates... Where are you going? Who or what is going to benefit from you being there?

THAT.

The answer, however ludicrous & scary - no matter how much you've always told yourself that it is impossible & will never happen - and how uncomfortable it currently makes you... is the answer. Decide to do THAT and then go after it. Never let go.

Hmm, interesting view on things. Thanks! I guess I need to really think clearly about things and then decide on something. I just hate not having a clear idea, that's what bothers me the most. I know someone who Is 32 and isn't motivated and doesn't want to change, still lives with parents, no job, and has zero ambition. I do not want to end up like that at 32, I actually want to achieve something in life and be successful.

Unless you're an entrepreneur, it's difficult to actually get a good job without a degree it seems. I don't know, maybe that's what's been instilled into young people, that it's the only way to succeed. I know having a degree is useful, but having no idea of what degree to study, is even worse.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    living on your own and supporting yourself is bloody hard work. Some months we just about get by and there is two of us on a decent wages. My car has just given up and decided to die on me so I am now having to look at getting a new one, so I am probably going to have to get it on finance as I don't have the money to buy one outright and I need a car, it is just not practical not having one. The cat has to go to the vet for her annual boosters on Saturday and I am really hoping there is nothing else that needs doing. We are also saving for a wedding and neither of us are getting pay rises any time soon. We don't really have a social life any more. The scary thing is that we will need to move in a couple of years and things are going to be just as bad if not worse than they are now.

If I had known 7 years ago what it would be like now I would have saved up more money when I still lived with my parents and had the chance to. So if I were you OP I would use this time to save and save so that when you do eventually move out you have money.
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aha! I thought I recognised the user in his London thread.

Oh dear indeed.