Options

Do you hate cold callers on the phone or at your door?

TragicDoggieTragicDoggie Posts: 590
Forum Member
✭✭
If you do and you have a UK address why not sign the online petition below.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/52542

The petition closes on the 11th of July 2014 and in my opinion needs a bit of a numbers kick at the moment.

Comments

• Options
    Val WoodgateVal Woodgate Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    We had one trying to get us to pay a large amount to get all cold callers stopped!
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I don't get many around these days, as most of them have been shot.

Result.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Signed.
    I detest them. I have to answer my 'phone because my mum is unwell and am regularly dealing with all kinds of health professionals calling me, sometimes from unknown numbers, and these can be important. I have a rather cheeky answerphone message that hopefully deters them from trying again when I am out. I don't get many door-to-door ones to the house but they just get short shrift as I point to the sign on my door telling them 'No....'

I understand that many of them are just doing a job and probably don't get paid enough to take some of the abuse they'll inevitably get. I don't get abusive with them but just put the 'phone down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being on the first floor I don't get many door cold callers but on the phone I do. It's usually the same 3/4 numbers over and over again who do not understand "I am not interested"
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still hoping for a 'hot' caller.
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/No-Junk-Mail-Letterbox-Sticker-No-Cold-Callers-Front-Door-Decal-Sign-BRYC-/321159879313?pt=UK_Home_HomeDecor_Accessories&hash=item4ac69eda91

Simple, and it does work.

Stuck this on the old front door, guess what.... Jehovahs, salesmen, utilities, charidee clipboarders...non existent ever since. They still drop bags off but I don't mind that.

As for the phone, I just put the phone down, lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a university student trying to get a few bob over a summer break 2 years back, I did work for a cold-calling company.

You'd be surprised how nice a large % of people are on the phone. It was perhaps only 1 in 15 people that would should an expletive down the phone.

Edit: Don't get me wrong though, it was a horrendous job. Most people only lasted 2 weeks in the job and underperforming employees were often shouted out at every opportunity. I do remember this when I receive cold calls from people who were once me!
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do find cold callers an invasion of my privacy. However I am never overly rude to them and just tell the caller I'm not interested and promptly put the phone down or shut the door.
  • Options
    ursula321ursula321 Posts: 1,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its usually an answerphone message these days. I just hang up as soon as I hear it. If it is a person on the phone I do the same as soon as I know what they are calling for. Do they really get any buisness? I don't know anybody that would take them up on any offers.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont have a problem with limited cold calls. If sky, bt call up with an offer you normally tell them your not interested they leave you alone for a bit.

However recently I have had one company trying to call me non stop. They call day and night hour by hour. They either ask for people not at the address or trying to get me to do a survey. They are clearly just trying to get my details and no requests to leave me alone work. In the end I have been forced just not to answer the phone in the hope they will give up.

So I agree with the idea but what do you expect the government to do about it ? The company in question calling me are based in India. So how would you actually stop them calling us ?
  • Options
    ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    We used to get so many sales calls there was always that pause at the beginning of the call, so I took the landline , as for the door everyone I know uses the back door so I don't answer the front. And the dogs incsessant barking would scare them off anyway,
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    I'm still hoping for a 'hot' caller.

I've had a few at the door. To my shame I once gave some money to a very attractive young woman who claimed to be raising money for charity. Apparently this is a known scam - we also had a lad claiming to be raising money for kids to train at a London Premier League ground, but I'd already heard of that scam and sent him away empty-handed.
  • Options
    Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just put the phone down from one of the numerous PPI companies. Unlike the others, this one put me through to the company I used to have a mortgage with who confirmed what I already knew - I am not due for a refund. At least that will give me fuel to get the others off my back in the future.

EDIT
    Must go and re-register on TPS. Forgot to when I moved a couple of months ago.
  • Options
    shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to simply hang up, but we now get so many, often several a day and always at awkward times like tea time, that I have started to become a bit rude, especially when they ask me how I am, then inform me that I've had an accident or had a mortgage mis-sold.
    We also get a few purporting to be from MIcrosoft, who are clearly scam merchants. I try to string them along for a while if I have the time.
  • Options
    lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate cold callers.

I often just ignore them when they knock at my door. Some continue to knock or wave at me if they see me through the window, but when I don't respond at all most give up after a few minutes.

We used to have a lot where I used to live so this was a necessary step. I would have gone to the door and been polite but I got bored of the tactic of over talking me or trying to hit me with the hard sell despite me saying 'no thank you'. The ignore method worked wonders and my address soon got left alone. Cheaper than a sticker too :D

Where I live now isn't plagued by cold callers thankfully.

As for phone calls, I politely say no thanks and hang up.
  • Options
    julie_tredgoldjulie_tredgold Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cold callers can be very annoying , one put his foot in my door and was quite aggressive

Cold callers who are middle aged men who carry gardening tools and want to make some money in summer doing gardens I feel quite sorry for them all they want to do is earn money and pay their bills , this is a sign of the times . Some of them do a good job and are decent people
    Those who call from foreign countries annoy me the most , their English is usually bad and refuse to say where they got my number . I recently moved house and refuse to get a land line because of cold callers
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did both when I was younger, when too young to do bar work.. Paid for my driving lessons. Most people were surprisingly OK with it as long as you're not too pushy. I think it might be different now though, as it's far more common. Back in the day only double glazing and other home improvement companies used to do it.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have switched off my land line now. Despite having TPS it became relentless and intolerable. I also have a camera above my front door. If I don't recognise the caller I don't answer it. The sad part of this, however annoying, is it's a job for many. What's the alternative? Yes I'm a hypocrite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cold callers can be very annoying , one put his foot in my door and was quite aggressive
    I would react accordingly to this and use reasonable force to defend myself and remove the person from my property. I can assure you if they'd tried this at my house they wouldn't try it again :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    I have switched off my land line now. Despite having TPS it became relentless and intolerable. I also have a camera above my front door. If I don't recognise the caller I don't answer it. The sad part of this, however annoying, is it's a job for many. What's the alternative? Yes I'm a hypocrite.

I do similar with the landline. I never use it. In fact if BT didn't insist on us having one for our fibre optic broadband I wouldn't have one at all. Nobody except cold callers call me on it and I get free outgoing calls on my mobile. The handset sits on silent, gathering dust.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Then coming to your house should be illegal

Phone, annoying

I just say sorry and hang up
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,900
    Forum Member
    Had a guy buzz my door last week. Didn't pick up exactly what he said at first as the microphone wasn't very good but I got the gist of it that he was from a local window company. I politely asked if he was aware this was a No Cold Calling zone.
    "I'm not cold calling."
    "Did I invite you to press my door buzzer?"
    "No."
    "Then you are cold calling."
    "No I'm not."

:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lalaland wrote: »
    I do similar with the landline. I never use it. In fact if BT didn't insist on us having one for our fibre optic broadband I wouldn't have one at all. Nobody except cold callers call me on it and I get free outgoing calls on my mobile. The handset sits on silent, gathering dust.

Yes we have a land line for that reason. It infuriates me that we have the rental to pay for the damned thing. They must have suffered because of cold callers. So many are now from call centres in other countries too and TPS doesn't block those.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »

Yes, I switched mine off over a year ago, because almost every call was a nuisance one. I do still use it, but only for the odd outbound call. But I really only keep it because of my broadband.

My mobile No gets given out to no-one except those who know me, and a few trusted tradesmen. .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Yes, I switched mine off over a year ago, because almost every call was a nuisance one. I do still use it, but only for the odd outbound call. But I really only keep it because of my broadband.

My mobile No gets given out to no-one except those who know me, and a few trusted tradesmen. .

Two weeks ago I had a cold caller on my mobile for three days in a row. A flaming recorded message each time. None since but what happens if that's the new invasion? Also where did they get my number from?