Options

John Randall MP standing down

Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,405
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As you may know, John Randall, MP for Uxbridge, has just announced that he is standing down as an MP at next year's General Election. He has been an MP since a by-election in 1997, called because his predecessor died just a week after that year's General Election. I remember him in his victory speech being quite humble at having won, as he knew the Conservatives' fortune were still at a low point.

Now that he is standing down, this could be a good seat for Boris Johnson to apply to be their PPC. Then, if John has plenty of time on his hands, he could seek the Conservative nomination for London Mayor, thus eventually swapping jobs with Boris! In practice this is unlikely to happen though, as London seems tipped to elect a Labour Mayor again in 2016.

Comments

• Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,863
    Forum Member
    Good! Maybe he is feeling a bit sheepish for demanding Andrew Mitchel got sacked that time?! Apparently he said to David Cameron that either Mitchel gets sacked or he himself would resign! Cameron should have told him he was sacked making demands like that in that way! >:(
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm.....my guess is that he is not going voluntarily.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Boris has said he's staying as mayor until 2016, so which seats are vacant for the 2015 election aren't that relevant.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    Boris has said he's staying as mayor until 2016, so which seats are vacant for the 2015 election aren't that relevant.

Sir George Young is also standing down in 2015. His north hampshire seat is very safe and in an affluent area not too dissimilar to Boris' old seat at Henley. If anywhere: That's where I'd have expected him to go if he were standing in 2015.

That's not Boris' plan. He'll see out his time as London Mayor. Then when the Conservatives are in opposition or in danger of becoming the opposition he'll put himself forward as the saviour of the party.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Uxbridge would suit Boris as he campaigns on an anti Heathrow expansion ticket.
    Plus there's the A40, so he could nip up and down it between home and constituency, thus saving on all those expenses for a second home.
  • Options
    ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Randall used to be my MP - he always said he would not keep standing as he has so many other interests (especially rugby). A really decent chap and I wish him well.

Uxbridge is a pretty safe Conservative seat and yes, geographically it would suit Boris.
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    It's safe but I recall the Labour guy who went against his predecessor got pretty close (conservative 700 vote majority), labour put up some career politician to go against Randall and got done.
  • Options
    Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    It's safe but I recall the Labour guy who went against his predecessor got pretty close (conservative 700 vote majority), labour put up some career politician to go against Randall and got done.

It may be an opportunity for Labour to float one of their Red Princes into if the majority is sub 2000.
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    No chance, a well thought of local might get closer, but they couldn't win Uxbridge when they had the 97 landslide so Bob Hope now.
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, Boris has indeed now been chosen as the PPC for Uxbridge and South Ruislip, as was widely tipped. Coming on the evening when Ian "Nevvah nevvah nevvah!" Paisley had just died, and the ongoing Scottish referendum drama, meant his selection got less coverage than we might have expected.