Options

IOS 8 so slow

fixermanfixerman Posts: 1,329
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I installed IOS 8 on our two iPads, a 3 and an air, and am very disappointed with the results. Everything is now so slow. Internet and apps are so slow to respond. Anybody else having problems? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    It's not just you, this seems to be a universal issue. I updated to IOS8 on my ipad 2 and it is now running terribly. It hangs, freezes, locks up, drains the battery etc etc etc. Absolutely shocking that apple release these updates that knacker everyone's devices up.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    My 2 iPad Airs are both fine.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    It's not just you, this seems to be a universal issue. I updated to IOS8 on my ipad 2 and it is now running terribly. It hangs, freezes, locks up, drains the battery etc etc etc. Absolutely shocking that apple release these updates that knacker everyone's devices up.

It's not universal - it actually seems very much luck of the draw for some reason. It makes me wonder if different batches of hardware are affected.

Apple recently ran a free battery replacement program for some iPhones due to a defective production run on some models, so I guess it's not unreasonable to think that similar has happened with certain models of tablet and/or phone.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Apple made it easier for themselves in that they have a total control over hardware configurations used, so it should not be a problem to test them all.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't have to update iOS if you don't want to. In fact, you are much better waiting for them to get the bugs out.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is possible to download the file for ios 7.1.2 and downgrade back to that. It's not an official download, and they say it's not guaranteed, but I've just done it on my iPad 2 and it's back to normal running again. This is the website I used.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    You don't have to update iOS if you don't want to. In fact, you are much better waiting for them to get the bugs out.
    I can never understand the rush to update.
  • Options
    AnjomoAnjomo Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I can never understand the rush to update.
    http://www.zdnet.com/ios-8-fixes-dozens-of-security-flaws-7000033800/ is one reason.

Having said that, my Ipad air needed an erase of all apps and settings followed by a restore from a backup before the Ipad battery would charge and IOS8 would run properly, so overall I'm not impressed at all.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Anjomo wrote: »
    http://www.zdnet.com/ios-8-fixes-dozens-of-security-flaws-7000033800/ is one reason.

Having said that, my Ipad air needed an erase of all apps and settings followed by a restore from a backup before the Ipad battery would charge and IOS8 would run properly, so overall I'm not impressed at all.

The problem is all Apple do is create NEW security flaws. They'd be better off stopping this willy waving nonsense and fix iOS7.
  • Options
    acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Def slower on ios than it was on ios7 when it comes to my iPad 4. My ipad 3 im not updating, will keep it on ios7
  • Options
    fixermanfixerman Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bit the bullet and reset the two iPads to factory condition and then set them both up as "new" . They are still slow and now when I Try to sign in to any of my many forums, after I have typed the first two letters of my username safari freezes and I cannot go any further.

My next tablet may well be an Android.>:(
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    I updated my iPad 2 to iOS 8 and found Safari to be awful. I have just updated to 8.02 and Safari is not one bit better. It is just so slow.

What the hell were Apple thinking releasing such a bug ridden OS. I genuinely think they are losing their touch. Whether it's arrogance or incompetence I know not. One thing that is certain is that I will check out the opposition next time around. One of my close relatives has got a Samsung 10" Tab 3 and absolutely loves it. They had an iPad before that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Not had any problems with ios8 on my iPad2 or the update yesterday, all done OTA.
    All apps running as well as they ever have.
    I do not use the Safari browser, I use iCab, so much better.
    But gave Safari a good go with many different sites and sme youtube and BBC iPlayer video in Safari and had no problems.
    Might be worth sorting your cache or even check that you do not have too many apps running background refresh.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    I updated my iPad 2 to iOS 8 and found Safari to be awful. I have just updated to 8.02 and Safari is not one bit better. It is just so slow.

What the hell were Apple thinking releasing such a bug ridden OS. I genuinely think they are losing their touch. Whether it's arrogance or incompetence I know not. One thing that is certain is that I will check out the opposition next time around. One of my close relatives has got a Samsung 10" Tab 3 and absolutely loves it. They had an iPad before that.

The ipad 2 is 3 1/2 years old which Apple have provided an os update for. You would be very hard pushed to get that service from anyone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    The ipad 2 is 3 1/2 years old which Apple have provided an os update for. You would be very hard pushed to get that service from anyone else.

Windows XP is 14 years old and was until recently still being supported - what's your point?

If the OS is to much for older hardware then Apple should be honest with it's customers. However, I'm not sure telling customers who are shelling out over £400 for one of their products that it's shelf life is very limited and is something Apple would contemplate doing.

As it happens, I have now done a clean install and whilst it's much improved, Safari is still very laggy. Chrome on the other hand is now like a spritely 12 year old, so I guess the moral of this story is to use Android on your Apple device for a better experience. :D
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows XP is 14 years old and was until recently still being supported - what's your point?

If the OS is to much for older hardware then Apple should be honest with it's customers. However, I'm not sure telling customers who are shelling out over £400 for one of their products that it's shelf life is very limited and is something Apple would contemplate doing.

As it happens, I have now done a clean install and whilst it's much improved, Safari is still very laggy. Chrome on the other hand is now like a spritely 12 year old, so I guess the moral of this story is to use Android on your Apple device for a better experience. :D

How would its shelf life be limited? We still have an iPad 1 that works fine. It didn't stop working.
  • Options
    QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im sure iOS 8 will be fine by 8.1 to took until iOS 7.1 before i was happy with it on my iPad 2.
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    It is possible to download the file for ios 7.1.2 and downgrade back to that. It's not an official download, and they say it's not guaranteed, but I've just done it on my iPad 2 and it's back to normal running again. This is the website I used.

Apple are no longer signing iOS 7.x for devices which support iOS 8.x, so this will no longer work.
  • Options
    iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I downgraded my iPad Mini w/Retina Display back to 7.1.2 just before Apple stopped signing the firmware.

It felt far too poor in performance when the update was pushed out the other week; I'm not sure if I want to go around restoring it back to factory defaults and then downloading and installing iOS 8!
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fixerman wrote: »
    I bit the bullet and reset the two iPads to factory condition and then set them both up as "new" . They are still slow and now when I Try to sign in to any of my many forums, after I have typed the first two letters of my username safari freezes and I cannot go any further.

My next tablet may well be an Android.>:(

I've just updated my iPad Air to 8.02.... a lot of apps have crashed!>:(
    I do think considering how much we pay Apple, they could get an iOS update right the first time.
    Have you seen the Samsung Galaxy S Tab, fixerman? It's FAB!!!
    I'm thinking of migrating... have already swapped iPhone5 for HTC One M8:)
  • Options
    acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    I've just updated my iPad Air to 8.02.... a lot of apps have crashed!>:(
    I do think considering how much we pay Apple, they could get an iOS update right the first time.
    Have you seen the Samsung Galaxy S Tab, fixerman? It's FAB!!!
    I'm thinking of migrating... have already swapped iPhone5 for HTC One M8:)

Why update it? Did you not do any research prior?
  • Options
    AnjomoAnjomo Posts: 284
    Forum Member

Fair comment, but if the iPad pops up an "update available message" it's not an unreasonable course of action to press the OK button and expect things to just work.

I bought mine with the thought that I would never have to research anymore. How wrong I was.>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    How would its shelf life be limited? We still have an iPad 1 that works fine. It didn't stop working.

You were the one stating the consumer should consider themselves fortunate that Apple were providing updates on a 3 1/2 year old machine not me.
  • Options
    Forum Member

But don't Apple claim - "it just works" :blush:
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But don't Apple claim - "it just works" :blush:

PR baby, PR. They can bullshit with the best of them. Their quality control has always been bad, but this is dire.