Options

Frankie doing the Samba

Comments

• Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it is any consolation to Frankie fans, being on first gives a longer voting slot depending on how they open the voting.
  • Options
    peppy5peppy5 Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vicky talked about taking up dresses on last night's It Takes Two and people have extrapolated that will probably mean Caroline's American Smooth dress. It probably makes sense as a choice from the judges as the slip did result in problems and they commented on how much better it could be.

Ah thanks. Will wait and see but would love to see that again.
  • Options
    Ellie_Ellie_ Posts: 1,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was great to begin with with a couple of blips due to lack of rehearsal time. Definitely better than Pixie's which had praise heaped upon it.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Frankie hated the Samba, so why make her redo it in the final, even if it is to show 'improvement'? (which I think is a load of rubbish anyway - who actually watches the judge's choice and thinks "ooh yes I think I'll vote for him/her because they straightened their legs more this time round"?).

So I dislike the idea of having a judge's pick, allows for manipulation. Just let the couples choose their favourite two dances. The final should be about showcasing each couple at their best and their happiest.
  • Options
    dmolyneaux@virgdmolyneaux@virg Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone remember who used the great big Donkey as a prop, seen a tweet by Scd prop boys saying it was coming out for the final. Maybe wrong but poss one of judges choices .
  • Options
    Ellie1967Ellie1967 Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone remember who used the great big Donkey as a prop, seen a tweet by Scd prop boys saying it was coming out for the final. Maybe wrong but poss one of judges choices .

I've just double checked and it was standing to the right of the stage during F & K's samba, wearing a sombrero.
  • Options
    dmolyneaux@virgdmolyneaux@virg Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie1967 wrote: »
    I've just double checked and it was standing to the right of the stage during F & K's samba, wearing a sombrero.

Ah thanks, makes sense then .
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peppy5 wrote: »
    There wasn't any clue given though about what Caroline was dancing as judges' choice?

No clue at all. She was wearing a black top and what looked like black leggings.
  • Options
    TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    -Sid- wrote: »
    But Frankie hated the Samba, so why make her redo it in the final, even if it is to show 'improvement'? (which I think is a load of rubbish anyway - who actually watches the judge's choice and thinks "ooh yes I think I'll vote for him/her because they straightened their legs more this time round"?).

So I dislike the idea of having a judge's pick, allows for manipulation. Just let the couples choose their favourite two dances. The final should be about showcasing each couple at their best and their happiest.

Agreed 100%.

Some will disagree, but I don't like the idea of making someone do a dance they struggled with again - especially when others will no doubt get a dance they excelled at first time. I don't particularly want Frankie to win, I find her too underwhelming, but this does smack of trying to disadvantage her. :(
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the public could vote from all the couples' routines the one they want to see again? That way it'd be fair on everybody.
  • Options
    bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    judges seemed to have been hard on Frankie technique wise last few weeks picking smallest thing yet last week they chose to ignore Caroline's errors in the foxtrot and poor headkline and hold -so does not surprise me they have given her the dance she was upset with
  • Options
    Cal ChristopherCal Christopher Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    I think they should do their favourite dance, a showdance and the one dance they haven't done (In this case Frankie would dance the American Smooth).
  • Options
    robbleonarobbleona Posts: 6,261
    Forum Member
    Austenfan wrote: »
    BBC news this morning, Frankie rehearsing the Samba! That must be the judges pick for her surprised to be honest.

they were dancing to 'la bamba'.....was that the samba?? Bloody hell...what happened to the tango and 'defying gravity'???? defying logic, MORE LIKE!!! :confused:
  • Options
    robbleonarobbleona Posts: 6,261
    Forum Member
    Ellie1967 wrote: »

oh great...caroline and simon REALLY need all the help they can get don't they?? :confused:
    They get to do the charleston and AT .... frankie is lumbered with a samba and paso from week 5!!
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robbleona wrote: »
    oh great...caroline and simon REALLY need all the help they can get don't they?? :confused:
    They get to do the charleston and AT .... frankie is lumbered with a samba and paso from week 5!!

The Paso's fine. But that should probably have been the judge's choice and then Frankie could have reprised her Argentine Tango or even her Wicked Tango (as there's a longer break between the first two dances and the third I think? So time to make her up).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robbleona wrote: »

How is Frankie lumbered? They chose the Paso themselves. All the couples are likely to have a dance they can improve upon by 6+ marks. At least this way the viewers can actually see an improvement, or not, as the case may be. The semi-final dances are not picked because they are too fresh.

Last year Abbey had the Waltz from week 1.
  • Options
    londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted. I read the post wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Monaogg wrote: »
    If it is any consolation to Frankie fans, being on first gives a longer voting slot depending on how they open the voting.

Yep, I wouldn't say being first in the final was a drawback at all, quite the opposite in fact.
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tejas wrote: »
    Agreed 100%.

Some will disagree, but I don't like the idea of making someone do a dance they struggled with again - especially when others will no doubt get a dance they excelled at first time. I don't particularly want Frankie to win, I find her too underwhelming, but this does smack of trying to disadvantage her. :(

Agreed. I think they should pick one dance and the audience should pick another. The judges choice is often quite bizarre. I know it's good to improve on a routine, but picking a dance someone hated doesn't seem fair at all!
  • Options
    babyboomer10babyboomer10 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    If I wanted to put a celeb at a disadvantage I would pick a rumba for a man & samba for a woman.

Irrespective how well you perform, to the voting millions at home (rather than all the DS experts) the samba doesn't come over as well as quicksteps, AS, AT, charlestons, salsas etc.

Looks like Frankie is starting with 1 hand tied behind her back.

So they can't unfairly influence the competition the judges should either be made to pick 1 from something like the 4 highest marked dances or the celebs should be allowed a single veto on the choice
  • Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still don't buy that she is doing the samba. If she is doing the paso as her choice then it be madness if she wasn't doing a ballroom one as the judges choice.

Even if they want to show improvement, I doubt they would pick a dance that the celeb is known to have disliked intensely.

Personally I would rather we go back to the good old days when each celeb got to do a ballroom and a latin dance of their own choosing (plus the show dance of course)
  • Options
    babyboomer10babyboomer10 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Then again .....

I have just watched Frankie's Samba on Youtube and she looked magnificent. It added lots of sex appeal to her natural beauty and it should really get the party started on Saturday night.

If men could be persuaded to vote instead of mainly women & kids she would be well on the way,

Mind you Frankie will have competition for any male vote going around - for their chosen dance Kristina has gone for the uber sexy purple piece of gossamer masquerading as a dress which shows her & Simon off brilliantly.
  • Options
    Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bendymixer wrote: »
    judges seemed to have been hard on Frankie technique wise last few weeks picking smallest thing yet last week they chose to ignore Caroline's errors in the foxtrot and poor headkline and hold -so does not surprise me they have given her the dance she was upset with

I struggle to understand why they have completely ignored - or been blind - to Carolines lack or technique from the start, week after week. They could not have missed the appalling errors in that Foxtrot last week. Its almost as though they know she is popular and want someone popular in the final, to help boost the ratings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jennifer_F wrote: »
    I struggle to understand why they have completely ignored - or been blind - to Carolines lack or technique from the start, week after week. They could not have missed the appalling errors in that Foxtrot last week. Its almost as though they know she is popular and want someone popular in the final, to help boost the ratings.
    Despite the flaws Caroline sells the dance. One thing Frankie can be a bit tentative about. The reduced chutzpa from Frankie makes the technicalities show up.

Gay abandon beats precision when it comes to entertainment value.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jennifer_F wrote: »

Perhaps she's so far ahead in the voting that they are spinning it a bit, to make her look worthy of winning?