Options

Self check-in at the airport

CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Who's flippin' idea was that? >:(

Is it only at Edinburgh? and only Easyjet?

What happened to their hologram people at security as well? Must have been tossed out with the move to the other side of the terminal

Comments

• Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What happened to their hologram people at security as well? Must have been tossed out with the move to the other side of the terminal

Must admit, we needed help at the Easyjet check in at Edinburgh. Totally confusing, and we still had to stand in another queue after checking in to hand in our luggage! It was absolute chaos - even the easyjet staff were getting confused when there was more than two people in a party.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No - but what's the problem? Is it better or worse than checking in online?
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    I can't see the point in checking in online or self check-in unless you're travelling with nothing but hand luggage. The cynical part of me suspects they want you to check in online then get stuck in a massive traffic jam on the way to the airport so you miss your flight.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We used online check in on a recent holiday with Thomas Cook. Entered the check in area, massive queue but we were ushered to another desk and had the luggage dropped off in 1 minute flat. The other people in the queue looked furious.:D

The return journey however was a nightmare. 90 minutes standing in a queue despite already being checked in and a guy sitting on another check in desk for "priority boarding" touting for us all to pay £20 to jump the queue.

He had 2 paying passengers in all the time we stood there.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see the point in checking in online or self check-in unless you're travelling with nothing but hand luggage. The cynical part of me suspects they want you to check in online then get stuck in a massive traffic jam on the way to the airport so you miss your flight.

If it's a non-refundable ticket then it's kinda academic whether you checked in or not.
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    All airports/airlines do it these days, Heathrow is the same. In fact the new terminal 2 at Heathrow makes it mandatory to self check in and you will be physically stopped from proceeding to a normal desk until you've done it. Only if the machine refuses to work (which they do around 20% of the time) and it's verified not to be working by a member of staff will they let you go to a normal desk. Edinburgh Airport stayed away from it for so long (I used to work in the airport until a few years ago and there were barely any kiosks) and ran a lot more smoothly before they made the move to self check in kiosks. Now it's a nightmare.

At the end of the day it's all about money. The airline/airport pay nothing to that machine. It matters not one jot that the passengers have to queue twice and the whole process takes longer, cost is the bottom line.

It's terribly sad. Out of all the automation we see in daily life I think airports are still one place which work a lot smoother with more actual people and less machines, at least on the passenger facing side of things. An experienced check in agent can check in a family of 4 including their bags in under 1 minute (I know, it used to be my job). On a machine it takes 5 or 6 minutes and that's before you've even joined the line to drop your bag.
  • Options
    KellerKeller Posts: 5,970
    Forum Member
    It's been around for over 10 years and at airports across the world. It works best for frequent flyers, the business passenger in particular tends to fly with only hand luggage and simply needs to print their boarding card and head straight to the gate. A family of four with three checked bags and four cabin bags are probably better off going to the normal check in desk and letting the agent check them in but everyone else should find the kiosk easier.

Online check in is great too, you can check in, select your seat and print your boarding card at home the night before and arrive at the airport in your own time. Mobile check in is growing in popularity, most major airlines now have an app that allow you to do everything needed and without the need to print anything and carry around all that paperwork.
    Blofeld wrote: »
    All airports/airlines do it these days, Heathrow is the same. In fact the new terminal 2 at Heathrow makes it mandatory to self check in and you will be physically stopped from proceeding to a normal desk until you've done it. Only if the machine refuses to work (which they do around 20% of the time) and it's verified not to be working by a member of staff will they let you go to a normal desk. Edinburgh Airport stayed away from it for so long (I used to work in the airport until a few years ago and there were barely any kiosks) and ran a lot more smoothly before they made the move to self check in kiosks. Now it's a nightmare.
    Not at my airline. Passengers are more than welcome to check in at the desk with an agent selecting seats and tagging luggage, we never force passengers to use the kiosk or need proof that it's not working before checking them in. We're one of the largest carriers at Heathrow's Terminal 2.
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    Keller wrote: »
    Not at my airline. Passengers are more than welcome to check in at the desk with an agent selecting seats and tagging luggage, we never force passengers to use the kiosk or need proof that it's not working before checking them in. We're one of the largest carriers at Heathrow's Terminal 2.

I wish the airline I work for was like that. Also in T2, we have to send people to the kiosk first and check in agents have been told to send them back to the kiosk should anyone try and bypass it (business class excluded). If it doesn't work the kiosk supervisor will send them to a dedicated desk for people who couldn't get the kiosk to work. Some of the time the kiosk itself even tells people to go to a desk after making them go through the whole process only for it to fail at the end. I used to sit and time passengers checking in on the kiosks vs a desk. Never once was it faster on the kiosk. It could be down the software in use, but I just think the majority of travellers, who aren't frequent, would rather have that human interaction and someone else do it for them. I think it should be optional, sadly the powers that be disagree.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I flew with Easyjet from Geneva in 2006 and they only had machines, the staff at desks were only there for baggage drops. But they still couldn't allow the check in (even if you had to come back for the bag drop) until 2 hours before the flight.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I flew over to Mallorca in the summer I was only taking hand luggage with me and flying Ryanair meant self check in. Birmingham have recently (I say "recently I think they've been there a good few years!) installed a scanner which scans your ticket/receipt just like a barcode in a shop, this I assume is you "checking in"?

I personally don't have a problem with it. I was through and into departures within 30 minutes of being in the airport.
  • Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    No - but what's the problem? Is it better or worse than checking in online?

ah, I think I haven't explained it properly.. I check in online, that's brilliant- I meant checking in my hold luggage when at the airport.

I felt the same about self checkouts for ages. This seems a whole different kettle of fish though.

I don't like change :blush:
  • Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    I use them when I fly from Southampton; I think it's mandatory now. They're foolproof really, my only worry was that I hadn't attached the luggage tag properly. At Edinburgh on the easyJet desks, they had people standing around to make sure you weren't trying to peel off the backing from the tag. When you still need to utilise so much staff to help folk it kinda defeats the purpose.
  • Options
    jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I flew Belfast - Amsterdam and back this last week , had hand baggage only and it was brilliant , checked in on line and just showed my boarding pass both in Belfast and Schipol and went straight through to security and onto flight. No hassle at all
  • Options
    ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've generally found the self check-in machines to work fine for me.

However, though automatic machines when coming back to the UK at Manchester airport have never worked for me once.