Options

Do periods affect female performance ?

benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Heather Watson tennis player blamed " girl problems " for a lack lustre performance at the Australian tennis Open .

Is this something that has been swept under the carpet for too long as a taboo subject ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/30926244

Good and interesting discussion on the subject.

Also is it still a subject that still horrifies males ?

Comments

• Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    Well I don't know how sportswomen do it, to be honest. They have my utmost admiration.

When I'm riding the cotton pony I can barely get out of bed. :(
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im very clumsy and shaky when I have my period and a bit before. Im also very tired.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought she would be more aggressive in hitting the ball. As a man and speaking on behalf of my people, it is a subject that still horrifies us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she would be more aggressive in hitting the ball.

She was not specific but severe stomach cramps are utterly debilitating. Or at least they were for me.

Also bloating is horrible.

Brave and honest to admit female periods horrify you.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I don't know how sportswomen do it, to be honest. They have my utmost admiration.

When I'm riding the cotton pony I can barely get out of bed. :(

Why aren't you out rollerblading or kayaking or playing with 3 golden retrievers whilst wearing white trousers?
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    I thought she would be more aggressive in hitting the ball. As a man and speaking on behalf of my people, it is a subject that still horrifies us.

Oh..... Very brave, from behind a keyboard :D
  • Options
    trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    surely you can do anything , including parachuting and roller skating if those old bodyform adverts are anything to go by :)

alltogethernow ,,,,,,,,, whoooooaaahhhhhh bodddddyforrrmmmm , bodyform for yoooouuuuu
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dosent taking steriods stop periods. i cant help think that how quite a few sportswomen handle it....
  • Options
    lee_sharplee_sharp Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's why women pilots should only fly when they're not on the blob.........
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm always highly surprised that female athletes have periods, for three reasons
    1. You need to have a certain threshold level of fat on your body to be able to sustain a pregnancy. That's why having no periods is a common symptom in anorexic women. And an awful lot of female athletes are lean and muscular, so I would have thought a lot of them would drop below the limit of how much fat you have to be in possession of to sustain your menstrual cycle.
    2. I'd be permanently on the pill/patch/injection/implant or other period stopping device at all times if I was an athlete, to avoid the bleurgh feelings and mood swings and general fuss and faff of periods. And also to avoid getting pregnant. Which would be not what you want when you are a keen competitor who has a full schedule of competitions and no intention of taking retirement from top flight competition to have a family. .
    3. If you are an international competitor who has periods and you spend your time flitting around the world, that wreaks havoc with your cycle anyway. That'd be rubbish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    I'm always highly surprised that female athletes have periods, for three reasons
    1. You need to have a certain threshold level of fat on your body to be able to sustain a pregnancy. That's why having no periods is a common symptom in anorexic women. And an awful lot of female athletes are lean and muscular, so I would have thought a lot of them would drop below the limit of how much fat you have to be in possession of to sustain your menstrual cycle.
    2. I'd be permanently on the pill/patch/injection/implant or other period stopping device at all times if I was an athlete, to avoid the bleurgh feelings and mood swings and general fuss and faff of periods. And also to avoid getting pregnant. Which would be not what you want when you are a keen competitor who has a full schedule of competitions and no intention of taking retirement from top flight competition to have a family. .
    3. If you are an international competitor who has periods and you spend your time flitting around the world, that wreaks havoc with your cycle anyway. That'd be rubbish.

In the article I posted Paula Radcliffe said that she used the pill to time her periods.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lee_sharp wrote: »
    That's why women pilots should only fly when they're not on the blob.........

Interesting , surely finding a solution to the problem rather than stopping women pursuing their career is the way forward for those women who do suffer badly ? It has been suggested that it's certain Victorian male attitudes such as this has quelled discussion on the subject and continues to make it taboo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    trayhop123 wrote: »
    surely you can do anything , including parachuting and roller skating if those old bodyform adverts are anything to go by :)

Even if you couldn't rollerskate before? :)
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    In the article I posted Paula Radcliffe said that she used the pill to time her periods.

Vindicated. Hurrah for me. :D
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a man and speaking on behalf of my people, it is a subject that still horrifies us.

If you're classing all men as your people you're sadly deluded. What's horrifying about it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Women get periods, but it's men who actually suffer with them.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    2. I'd be permanently on the pill/patch/injection/implant or other period stopping device at all times if I was an athlete, to avoid the bleurgh feelings and mood swings and general fuss and faff of periods. And also to avoid getting pregnant. Which would be not what you want when you are a keen competitor who has a full schedule of competitions and no intention of taking retirement from top flight competition to have a family.

That's assume of course that hormonal methods work for them. It can be very unpredictable. Some women take the pill/injection etc, don't bleed at all unless they stop taking it and have no side effects. Some however have horrible side effects and bleed almost non stop. It would make sense if you're a female athlete but unfortunately it doesn't suit everyone.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this much, when the decorators are in I tread lightly.
  • Options
    lee_sharplee_sharp Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Interesting , surely finding a solution to the problem rather than stopping women pursuing their career is the way forward for those women who do suffer badly ? It has been suggested that it's certain Victorian male attitudes such as this has quelled discussion on the subject and continues to make it taboo.

Blimey. :o
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    I know my driving changed in the run up to that time...
  • Options
    jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sean Cotton must be having a life long period on Corrie and its always affected his performance
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A six-month course of the pill usually does the trick. Actors do this as well. Of course, this trick doesn't work for some.

In spite of being on the pill, one actor experienced debilitating stomach cramps. She had been experiencing minor cramps all night and morning, but that moment? It was just Bam! Made her collapse and curl up in a foetal position. The pain was so extreme that it soaked her costume and make-up in sweat within at least fifteen minutes.

She couldn't be pulled out because she was the leading lady, and the producers couldn't afford to stop the filming. It was sorted when a local doctor gave her an injection of powerful painkiller. She was fine some minutes later. This made me realise how some leading actors became addicted to prescription drugs.
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Wasn't it the extreme wing of the feminist lobby that decreed that the subject was taboo with regard to how it effected women's behavior and performance.
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    killjoy wrote: »
    Wasn't it the extreme wing of the feminist lobby that decreed that the subject was taboo with regard to how it effected women's behavior and performance.

The ones with extreme wings are by far the best!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »

Who knows not a wing I've walked myself :)