Jill or Kara

13»

Comments

• ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    Jill for me.

Jill just danced. Get on with it and dance your socks off. Dance with elan. Dance for fun. Dance and then go to the pub and have a laugh.

Kara is just a tad 'nice' and precious and fragile. Jill would outdance you at a party (you'd think) and not give a damn. I loved Jill.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jill for me.

Jill just danced. Get on with it and dance your socks off. Dance with elan. Dance for fun. Dance and then go to the pub and have a laugh.

Kara is just a tad 'nice' and precious and fragile. Jill would outdance you at a party (you'd think) and not give a damn. I loved Jill.

Just for you
    http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Y9YW60SHGqs&vq=small#t=39
    ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    it's just personal choice though isn't it

for me kara is the best I've seen - I love her style, love artem and his choreography, love their partnership

I loved Alesha but that was about performance - her technique in the latin was a bit suspect

and Jill was fabulous but still not as graceful as Kara i don't think (although her paso remains my favourite ever dance)

I liked Rachel a lot but she was a bit robotic
  • Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    justmise wrote: »

And no standing ovation :confused: which every dance good or bad seems to get this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    Barney06 wrote: »
    And no standing ovation :confused: which every dance good or bad seems to get this year.

she only got one 10 for that paso (from Arlene)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she only got one 10 for that paso (from Arlene)

I think some of the tens of recent times are an over-score. However the emphasis also seems to have shifted from pure technical scoring to now including some allowance for entertainment value:confused:
  • babyboomer10babyboomer10 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    In the semi final & final, Denise actually outscored Jill adding up the 5 or 6 dances. Jill was the hot favourite because she was good from the beginning and Denise went from OK to brilliant. It was Jill's jive that won the audience vote but Denise Lewis's quickstep is as good as any there has been. Her Samba was tops too, and it is not a dance that many celebs shine at.

That said, Kara is the best woman ever, with Denise in 2nd place.

I actually prefer to watch Kara than some of the pros - because the pro dancers are so good, they have to go to extremes to show what they are capable of, whereas Kara's dances are toned down from the pro level and show her true ability.
    Forum Member
    Strictly is BBC's most popular program with by far the highest viewing figures so why would they risk potentially damaging their flagship program, if such a move were to be rejected by the mainstream viewer? (8 - 10 million on average)

Aside from any rights that minority groups may possess regarding equal representation, would same sex dancing not be better trialled as a show in its own right rather than trying to piggy back on someone else's success? Then it can be judged on its own merit and audience reaction fairly measured.

After the novelty of the first couple of shows I predict the viewing figures would be somewhere south of a million, unless there were a bevy of beauties shimmying together down the dancefloor to get the male population interested.

If it really is likely to be popular and capable of standing on its own feet then I am surprised a commercial station hasn't tried it since they live and die by ratings and advertising revenues.
    Forum Member
    Not sure how the above arrived in this long dead thread. Should refer to same sex dance proposals
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    personally Jill Halfpenny

amazing dancer, lovely lady

She is the best female celeb, to date, that Strictly has had
  • Gobby mooGobby moo Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Alesha
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kara had the phwoar factor.
    Rachel always looked like a replicant. Talked like one too.
  • tawnytawny Posts: 1,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jill every time - no contest
  • MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alesha is the best ever female IMO.
    Then Jill, then Kara.
  • RichwoodRichwood Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barney06 wrote: »
    Hard to pick between the two as the best female contestant on Strictly, would just give it to Jill at the moment but things could change if Kara gets to the final as she so deserves to.

For me neither, Natalie Gumede every time. Yes, a ringer, but with Artem's choreography and her dancing and acting skills the performances were frequently spellbinding. Glad she got the final so we could see as much of her as possible but also glad she didn't win, this show's for learners.
  • DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think, at the time, I was fully behind Kara in her series, she was by far the best dancer, whereas with Jill I would have been just as happy if Denise would have won. The thing is though, you have to look at them in completely different ways. As much as it has the same name, the show in 2004 is in no ways the same show as in 2011. For Jill to get 40 for that Jive meant that she was faultless. Kara probably should have had a 40 for her Rumba (Craig was chatting out of his derriere about her foot coming off the ground.) but it didn't mean quite as much. But, then again, Kara is the only celeb who can hold a candle to Jill, and never scored under 30...

Basically, put the two of them in a group dance, and it will be the best thing Strictly has have done!
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richwood wrote: »
    For me neither, Natalie Gumede every time. Yes, a ringer, but with Artem's choreography and her dancing and acting skills the performances were frequently spellbinding. Glad she got the final so we could see as much of her as possible but also glad she didn't win, this show's for learners.

It's funny you should say that in a thread about Kara and Jill because both of them were clear ringers too. Jill according someone from the ballroom world on here even competed in ballroom competitions when she was a junior and was considering a career in dance.......for all Natalie's experience which the media kept using as a stick to beat her with as far as I know she never danced competitively in ballroom. Do you think Kara and Jill shouldn't have won because they were ringers?

And sorry the show never has and I suspect never will be a show for beginners - Kara and Jill and various other contestants that have taken part over the years prove that. Yes I like to see the true beginners and the middlers but I'd rather have ringers on the show than fake 'novices' who just by coincidence when they start the show find out they have a talent for dance and believe me I think there have been quite a few of these in the past. I really liked Natalie - I don't care if she was a ringer, to me she was one of the few highlights in what was a very disappointing series.
  • RichwoodRichwood Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    It's funny you should say that in a thread about Kara and Jill because both of them were clear ringers too. Jill according someone from the ballroom world on here even competed in ballroom competitions when she was a junior and was considering a career in dance.......for all Natalie's experience which the media kept using as a stick to beat her with as far as I know she never danced competitively in ballroom. Do you think Kara and Jill shouldn't have won because they were ringers?

And sorry the show never has and I suspect never will be a show for beginners - Kara and Jill and various other contestants that have taken part over the years prove that. Yes I like to see the true beginners and the middlers but I'd rather have ringers on the show than fake 'novices' who just by coincidence when they start the show find out they have a talent for dance and believe me I think there have been quite a few of these in the past. I really liked Natalie - I don't care if she was a ringer, to me she was one of the few highlights in what was a very disappointing series.

Wrote my first piece on this subject in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep and felt bored ! Went a bit off piste. Returning to the original theme - Kara or Jill - too close to call, both great dancers. I suppose I enjoyed Kara more due to Artem's choreography - please, please can we have him back next year ?

As regards ringers, OK, Kara and Jill both were ; I guess the best outcome when you have such people is that they do well on the show and last a long time so that we can enjoy them, but don't actually win.
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richwood wrote: »
    Wrote my first piece on this subject in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep and felt bored ! Went a bit off piste. Returning to the original theme - Kara or Jill - too close to call, both great dancers. I suppose I enjoyed Kara more due to Artem's choreography - please, please can we have him back next year ?

As regards ringers, OK, Kara and Jill both were ; I guess the best outcome when you have such people is that they do well on the show and last a long time so that we can enjoy them, but don't actually win.

I didn't watch the first three series so missed Jill's year but have seen some of her dances on youtube and I can see why she won - she always seems like a nice person in interviews too.

Kara was just lovely in everyway - I also liked Matt that year but I was happy enough to see Kara take the trophy - she was such a beautiful dancer and seems like a really nice person too.

I don't mind ringers winning - as long as I like them as people and they put on good entertainment for me then I'd rather a ringer won than a less dancer/annoying personality.
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jill and Kara were both great in different ways, contasting in dancing as well as personality. Personally for me with Kara, she actually moved me, which takes ALOT. I found Jill fun and she filled you with enthusiasm for dance by watching her, but Kara filled me with a real love for watching dance everytime I saw her and that contrast of effect is why Kara wins for me. In a way I think I'd put Abbey (last year) over Alesha (which I'm sure some won't understand), but Abbey on occasions did move (and impress and surprise) me too (though prob not to same extent as Kara) while Alesha rarely did (even though I'd applaud her efforts and nice enough routines).

No one else made me love watching Ballroom dancing (and watching Strictly) as much as Kara did, and if and when she is topped by another future celeb participant, then I will really welcome it because to get even better than kara would be truly great viewing.
    Forum Member
    If Charity is on trial, how come the proscution can put her on the stand and question her first, with the defence lawyer then reduced to cross examining her?

???how did this get in here instead of the E|mmerdale trial thread???
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    allgrownup wrote: »
    Oooooh a female rate, how long before the slanging matches start! :p

Kara is heading towards the top for me but will judge after the series is completed.

My all time favourite is actually Zoe Ball. :p If you think there is hate on the boards now or last year you should have seen her series. The hatred has since only been matched or surpassed by La Snowdon who I think was a very good ballroom dancer by the way.

Minor slanging match eruption. Rachel was too much of a bot for me, Alesha too messy in her Latin, Ali too much princessy. I love Jill but was also very very fond of Denise and that is why Zoe edges it for me as I really was all out fan of her as opposed to being fan of both Denise and Jill in series 2. Oh and Louisa woz robbed by introducing the dance off to get the Bunton in to the semi's. I is still a jellus hatah!

Kara is close to becoming the closest thing we've had to a pro on this show though, so I do rate her very highly.

I agree with most of that. Alesha is incredibly overrated. Natalie was probably the best dancer, but not many of her dances stood out for me. I loved Zoe.