Options

Benedict Cumberbatch apologises after calling black actors coloured

Comments

• Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    the black minority

I find your terminology somewhat outmoded, to put it politely. The correct term is 'people of colour'. You should learn to use it.

I also find it offensive and insidious that you allude to white people as a 'culture' rather than a race or even a people.
  • Options
    Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should we just refer to race as white and non white? :confused: When I was growing up 'coloured' was the polite term, 'black' sounded harsh and rude, like something a not very nice character from the tv show 'Roots" would use.

Snap,it was exactly the same when I was growing up,and I do know a few months ago I'd used the word not even thinking as I still personal,y find it more accurate and less of an offensive tone than black,but I was also told off and told it was politically incorrect..,it's madness :(
  • Options
    Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    re "could you not just say 'that guy' instead of using any adjectives"

Adjectives are necessary to distinguish between things/people. If somebody asks what someone looks like, should you just ignore the obvious in case the term you use might offend somebody?
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Oh, the moral outrage: http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Entertainment+&+Arts/Film/Film+Stars/Film+Stars+A-Z/Benedict+Cumberbatch#natnn

A minor faux-pas perhaps, but is it really all that bad? It's surely no different from the ridiculous term, "people of colour", which the pc watchdog seems to approve of for some reason.

I remember the term first being used because describing people as black was seen as offensive. It's not as if "coloured actors" is an offensive term and is even more accurate, as it encompasses many races who don't consider themselves to be black anyway. It would have been different if he had referred to them as "the coloureds"; a term used with deliberate malice by American rednecks.

I actually find it quite offensive that he has felt such a need to crawl to some of these commentators, when it was perfectly clear to anyone with even the slightest bit of common sense that there was absolutely no intention to cause offence. They should have just regarded it as slightly quaint and then forgotten about it.
    I agree.

I'm reading so many public media apologies these days, it's becoming tedious :(

I think people get mixed up with someone actually clearly insulting somebody else, and with someone saying something to the general public that some people may not like.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find your terminology somewhat outmoded, to put it politely. The correct term is 'people of colour'. You should learn to use it.

I also find it offensive and insidious that you allude to white people as a 'culture' rather than a race or even a people.

Until about 10 years down the line when another term is recommended/advised.
  • Options
    Visitor QVisitor Q Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have never heard anyone in the UK, in everyday life or in the media, use the terms "people of colour" or "person of colour", unless they are quoting from an American source or are themselves American.

I couldn't honestly say what the "correct" term is now, but it certainly isn't that.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I don't think there is actually a "correct term" to use as you put it.

I think, calling people black, coloured or even the cringing "people of colour" is really up to the person concerned.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Visitor Q wrote: »
    I have never heard anyone in the UK, in everyday life or in the media, use the terms "people of colour"

Heard David Oyelowo say it just last night on BBC London news.
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Yes - The current politically acceptable terms are 'people of colour' and 'people not of colour', which essentially segregates all white people from the rest of the entire human race, and mixes all people who aren't full-blown Caucasian into one ethnic group.

"Non-white" is offensive, apparently. "People not of colour" is not, apparently.

So is white not a colour anymore?! FFS!
  • Options
    Visitor QVisitor Q Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heard David Oyelowo say it just last night on BBC London news.

He's obviously picked it up living and working primarily in America fior the last few years.
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that best expression that someone can use without hurting anyones feelings are Sam has dark complexion,and his best friend got fair complexion
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    re "could you not just say 'that guy' instead of using any adjectives"

Adjectives are necessary to distinguish between things/people. If somebody asks what someone looks like, should you just ignore the obvious in case the term you use might offend somebody?
    Or you become like David Dimbleby on Question Time.

Two men, both with dark hair, both wearing blue jumpers, both wearing glasses. Main difference that would immediately distingush one from the other is that one is white and one is black.
    He'll jump through hoops not to mention colour/race.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think my older daughter who is 12 and half Chinese has got this thing about right. When doing some sort of daft questionnaire thing with her friends, they were asked to describe their enthnic origin and she told me she put superior.
  • Options
    PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safi74 wrote: »
    So is white not a colour anymore?! FFS!

I'm sort of pinkish white so I guess that makes me a 'person of colour' :confused:
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Some people are just begging to be offended so they can show how morally superior they are - a++holes more like. He was being supportive of black/asian people and clearly didn't mean to offend.
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member

I am deeply offended by what that poster said and expect an apology forthwith.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think my older daughter who is 12 and half Chinese has got this thing about right. When doing some sort of daft questionnaire thing with her friends, they were asked to describe their enthnic origin and she told me she put superior.

:D:D:D that is wonderful well done to her
  • Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member

Love it!!!

I was so surprise that someone like Ben would say such an old fashion expression. It seems quite ridiculous that a highly educated man, in his mid-thirties would use such a daft expression.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love it!!!

I was so surprise that someone like Ben would say such an old fashion expression. It seems quite ridiculous that a highly educated man, in his mid-thirties would use such a daft expression.:confused:

What exactly is the matter with 'coloured'?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Some people are just begging to be offended so they can show how morally superior they are - a++holes more like. He was being supportive of black/asian people and clearly didn't mean to offend.

I fully agree. Some say that 'person of colour' is the right term to use, but that will likely be classed as offensive in 10 years time.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love it!!!

Me too. When I was very young it was the word used by white Brits, but not for the last 50 years. However, I think it's sad that so much attention has been given to one word and so little to the actual content of what he was saying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We Germans use both words, black/schwarz and colour/farbig.

The kicker is, schwarz sounds more harsh to our ears, so we tend to say this word if we talk negative about people of colour. Farbig sounds absolutely neutral for us, even postive we associate farbig with the rainbow for example, black is dark, it's bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off topic for this post but thought I mention it
    What is silly is about nursery rhyme Baa baa black sheep.
    Some silly billy thought it was offensive and now have to say baa baa coloured sheep too
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baa,_Baa,_Black_Sheep tells you about meaning behind it all
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Off topic for this post but thought I mention it
    What is silly is about nursery rhyme Baa baa black sheep.
    Some silly billy thought it was offensive and now have to say baa baa coloured sheep too
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baa,_Baa,_Black_Sheep tells you about meaning behind it all
    Well.......if I'm ever in a situation where I'm singing the nursery rhyme Baa Baa Black Sheep ( possibly to my nephew....) on principle I will refuse to say "coloured sheep".....

Or were you joking?

Would people really say "coloured sheep"?
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Or you become like David Dimbleby on Question Time.

Two men, both with dark hair, both wearing blue jumpers, both wearing glasses. Main difference that would immediately distingush one from the other is that one is white and one is black.
    He'll jump through hoops not to mention colour/race.

I'm pretty sure I saw a show with a recurring sketch on this theme, can't remember which one it was though.