What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I've just started Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote. Alongside Beryl Bainbridge, Capote is my favourite author and he's not let me down yet.

I was two thirds of the way through The Scent of Dried Roses by Tim Lott. Fabulous book but mighty depressing and I just don't have the right headspace to plough on, at the moment.

My to-read list is an absolute tower at the moment with some sizeable beasts such as Oscar & Lucinda and The Magus in the midst. I've put myself on a book buying ban but there's a few hidden gems I've stumbled across on Goodreads that I want to get before I forget.
  • Fink-NottleFink-Nottle Posts: 60,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Bloch's biography of Jeremy Thorpe.
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started 'Dead Gone' by Luca Veste.
  • Kay_ElKay_El Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Just finished MJ Arlidge's Eeny Meeny

Just started Belinda Bauer's Rubbernecker
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_C wrote: »
    A new audiobook, The Glamour by Christopher Priest, read by Barnaby Edwards.
    Richard Grey is in a nursing home recovering from injuries caused by a car bomb. He has no memory of the months leading up to the bomb, nor of the days/weeks afterwards. He is hoping that visits from a former girlfriend (who he does not remember) will help him piece together his missing months.

This was first published in 1984 and feels quaint with references to video recording replacing film in his job as a news cameraman, pay phones instead of mobiles and no computers. I'm not entirely keen on the narration on this one.

I'm part way through reading The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman.

Our heoine, Irene, works for a Library, which harvests fiction from different realities. She's sent to an alternative London to retrieve a dangerous book. It turns out that it's already been stolen. Magic and chaos abound.

I liked the opening chapter but am finding it irritating and rather juvenile now, possibly YA fiction?

Thanks for posting Sue. I'm an audiobook fan as well, and always enjoy your posts. Your comments (both about print and audio books) often help me choose new titles to add to my reading/listening list. Notes about narration etc are so helpful when choosing audiobooks. :)

I've now finished 'The Perfect Mother', which was a decent 'family drama' type read, and am halfway through the audio version of 'The Dying Hours', both written and read by Mark Billingham. I'd call it neither the best nor the worst of the Thorne novels, and pretty much the usual fare: some nice banter and quips in the dialogue, a bit of Thorne's domestic life, and plenty of Thorne ignoring the rules in pursuit of a killer (regardless of the fact that he's back in uniform, no longer actually a murder cop). Worth a read/listen if you are a fan of Thorne/Hendricks and the gang. I rather like Mark Billingham as a narrator too - he's low-key without being dull.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,980
    Forum Member
    I've recently started "Daughter" by Jane Shemilt
  • RyJaRyJa Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just finished a book called Sisters of Treason. A book about the Grey Sisters (Lady Jane, Lady Katherine and Lady Mary) - it is excellent. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I was sad to finish it!!!
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Sleepyhead - Mark Billingham
    Another one of these world weary, flawed detective, in the Tom Thorne series, on the hunt for a serial killer. I quite liked the humour in this, and I did sklp a couple of grusome bits, but an enjoyable read, and a twist at the end.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    luckylila wrote: »
    Thanks for posting Sue. I'm an audiobook fan as well, and always enjoy your posts. Your comments (both about print and audio books) often help me choose new titles to add to my reading/listening list. Notes about narration etc are so helpful when choosing audiobooks. :)

I've now finished 'The Perfect Mother', which was a decent 'family drama' type read, and am halfway through the audio version of 'The Dying Hours', both written and read by Mark Billingham. I'd call it neither the best nor the worst of the Thorne novels, and pretty much the usual fare: some nice banter and quips in the dialogue, a bit of Thorne's domestic life, and plenty of Thorne ignoring the rules in pursuit of a killer (regardless of the fact that he's back in uniform, no longer actually a murder cop). Worth a read/listen if you are a fan of Thorne/Hendricks and the gang. I rather like Mark Billingham as a narrator too - he's low-key without being dull.

Ooh Thanks! I like writing about the books that I've read/ listened to, it's good to spend a bit of time thinking about the last book before jumping in to the next one.
  • Cat-Cat- Posts: 7,612
    Forum Member
    RyJa wrote: »
    I've just finished a book called Sisters of Treason. A book about the Grey Sisters (Lady Jane, Lady Katherine and Lady Mary) - it is excellent. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I was sad to finish it!!!

Sounds good. I'm always on the look out for good historical fiction books.
  • Cat-Cat- Posts: 7,612
    Forum Member
    Reading Karen Rose - Closer Than You Think

I'm only 21% into this book, but already it's annoying me with the contrite love angle. Perhaps I've just become jaded because of all the other recommendations I've put here.

She's a great author and I've read many of her books. But just annoyed now for some reason after reading the aforementioned books that were somewhat far more thrilling. That said, I've got 79% still to go.............but if it's more of this trite love stuff, I'll be stuffing it down the sofa..............or deleting it alla Kindle style. :blush:
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Winter Frost by RD Wingfield. I am liking my detective novels at the moment (just bought the first Morse book)
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caedmon's Song by Peter Robinson.
    Usually the author writes a series of books featuring a policeman, Inspector Banks, this book is a stand-alone mystery/thriller not featuring Banks, regarding a young student who is attacked and wakes up remembering nothing, running parallel is the story of another woman who sets off to Whitby to kill someone. Not bad so far.
  • tv_lover_06tv_lover_06 Posts: 6,278
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    I've recently started "Daughter" by Jane Shemilt

Hi All,

New to this section but keen to get back into reading again :)

I recently read this book ^^ and really enjoyed it. Some of it I found a little slow but there were nice twists in places and overall I really liked the book.

I found another by Laura Elliott too called "Stolen Child". On the back it said if you liked Daughter you'd like this too. I've yet to start but stupidly I read some reviews on the book already (no spoilers) and sadly it doesn't seem to be as I imagined. That being said, I read reviews of daughter afterwards and I didn't agree with a lot of them so it's probably best to form my own opinions ;-)
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Andy Marr's 'History of Modern Britain' The curse of the 99p impukse buy on Kindle. Decent enough guide. If, like me, you are only too familiar with the narrative since the 2nd World War .. avoid. However if you're not and would like your recent British history neatly presented .. you can't go wrong. His 'My Trade' on journalism is highly recommended.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Karen Joy Fowler's 'We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves'. Beautifully written full of humour and err.. monkey buisness
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished David Mitchell's 'Thinking About it Only Makes it Worse'. An anthology of his columns for 'The Guardian'. He writes well with well constructed commentary but of course as we all know he's just not that funny!
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dymafi wrote: »
    Finished Karen Joy Fowler's 'We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves'. Beautifully written full of humour and err.. monkey buisness

I read that last year - loved it - my second fave book last year, only beaten by 11.22.63 by Stephen King which was an epic!
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All,

I recently read this book ^^ and really enjoyed it. Some of it I found a little slow but there were nice twists in places and overall I really liked the book.

I found another by Laura Elliott too called "Stolen Child". On the back it said if you liked Daughter you'd like this too. I've yet to start but stupidly I read some reviews on the book already (no spoilers) and sadly it doesn't seem to be as I imagined. That being said, I read reviews of daughter afterwards and I didn't agree with a lot of them so it's probably best to form my own opinions ;-)

I am the opposite - recently read 'Stolen Child' but not yet read 'Daughter! I enjoyed Stolen Child though, if that helps, I'd say it's worth a read. :)
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,980
    Forum Member
    Hi All,

Hi TV Lover :) I don't visit this section very often either. I can usually be found in the music section.

I go through stages of reading a lot and then not reading for a while. I recently finished "The Perks Of Being A Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky for the second time. I love that book and I really liked the film too. It wouldn't surprise me if "Daughter" is adapted for film soon.
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    About to start Jeffrey Archer's Mightier Than The Sword (Clifton Chronicles).
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished today The Devil in the Marshalsea.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    I'm onto The Rose Petal beach, Dorothy Koomson
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Jonathan Harvey - The Girl Who Just Appeared
  • YellowFishYellowFish Posts: 4,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the minute i am reading Insurgent which is the second novel in the Divergent series ^.^