Options

All Scottish dogs to be micro chipped

Comments

• Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had our pup microchipped the same time she was spayed, as advised by the vet, who told us it was soon going to be compulsory here in England. For some reason, it was done free of charge; some organisation or other had paid for it on everyone's behalf. I wouldn't have had it done if I hadn't been told we had to, as we're not going to lose our dog. In the unlikely event that she ran off, she would be wearing a tag with our details on it.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When mine have their annual check up (and all responsible owners should be doing that) the vet checks for the microchip if the dog doesn't have one he wants to know why not. I think it will be fairly easy to enforce if all vets are diligent.
    I would go further and say all dogs and cats should have a "passport" that goes with them from birth to death, detailing all vaccinations, microchip details any major illnesses, allergies etc. Then is worse even happens and a dog needs a new home the new owner will know if the dog needs special diet or long term medical help. Would assist new vets too they could see what the dog has had previously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    We had our pup microchipped the same time she was spayed, as advised by the vet, who told us it was soon going to be compulsory here in England. For some reason, it was done free of charge; some organisation or other had paid for it on everyone's behalf. I wouldn't have had it done if I hadn't been told we had to, as we're not going to lose our dog. In the unlikely event that she ran off, she would be wearing a tag with our details on it.

If some one stole your dog they could take a collar off.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    The law isn't just being applied to Scotland - it comes into force in England and wales the same day! Cameron didn't want to annouce it in England in case it affects the voting!"

Seeing as it was announced in 2013 how on earth would it affect voting
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    My dog is well trained, I had her microchipped when she had her vaccinations, it might have been a package but it wasn't that expensive. If youre going to own a dog be a responsible dog owner, I have a mini Schnauzer that touch wood wouldn't hurt anyone, but she is still a dog and dogs can turn so no one can say "my Mastiffs a teddy bear and wouldn't hurt a fly"...heard it so many times and Im not going to be so smug. Also take out decent pet insurance and have the right environment for a dog, not toddlers/babies
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't understand why anyone would think this is a bad thing.

Our cat is a house cat whose only outside adventure is onto the mat outside our back door if the weather is nice and he is microchipped just in case.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    If some one stole your dog they could take a collar off.

If someone stole the dog, the chances are they would not take it to the vet any time soon, so the microchip would not allow it to be located.

Another thing, we had our cats microchipped, yet when one of them went missing, we were never informed that it was at the vet's. We only found out when we started ringing around and eventually thought of ringing the vet. That kinda made me think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather dogs were banned

Where's the rolling eye smilie when you need it?
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »

Poor Bentley. I'm involved in sighthound rescue and have been following his story from the first urgent appeal in the sighthound groups. Horrific. :(

My dog and cats are chipped. My cat was hit by a van a few months ago, luckily the driver behind stopped and took her to the vets who scanned her and called me within 20 minutes of the accident. She'd just had her dinner and gone out, I probably wouldn't have got worried and started looking for her till the morning. Although I aim to get them in at night it's not unknown for them to go walkabout in the woods on a nice night.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Given the amount of dogs being stolen on a weekly basis, viz;

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/perth-kinross/it-s-horrendous-highland-perthshire-gamekeeper-s-plea-after-thieves-kill-golden-lab-puppies-1.737087

is it really "responsible" to not take steps to protect your dog? After all, folks fit burglar alarms, car alarms etc., to protect inanimate objects.

If somebody's keeping their dog in a manner which means it is likely to be stolen and they're okay with the idea of their dog being stolen and hoping it'll be returned because it's chipped then good for them.

Personally, I look after my dogs in a manner means that it'd be almost impossible to steal them, not that any of them are especially worth stealing anyway, so that isn't a good reason to chip them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    If somebody's keeping their dog in a manner which means it is likely to be stolen and they're okay with the idea of their dog being stolen and hoping it'll be returned because it's chipped then good for them.

Personally, I look after my dogs in a manner means that it'd be almost impossible to steal them, not that any of them are especially worth stealing anyway, so that isn't a good reason to chip them.

You just never know last year despite mine being on leads a man tried to take my Chihuahua from me we had quite a tussle with the lead but luckily I got her trained to never allow anyone to ick her up so she put up a fight too. I like to think keeping them on leads never allowing them access to the garden unsupervised is enough to keep them safe but you just never know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You just never know last year despite mine being on leads a man tried to take my Chihuahua from me we had quite a tussle with the lead but luckily I got her trained to never allow anyone to ick her up so she put up a fight too. I like to think keeping them on leads never allowing them access to the garden unsupervised is enough to keep them safe but you just never know.

And neither do you know if being chipped would prove to be remotely useful in such a scenario.
  • Options
    NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »

If someone is going to steal a dog, or use a dog for fighting they could just cut the chip out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Namira wrote: »
    If someone is going to steal a dog, or use a dog for fighting they could just cut the chip out.

Yeah, cos there'd be the risk a pitbull might break a tooth on it. :blush:
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    And I'll be wanting to sue the owners of any dog that bites me, and a chip is an easy method of being able to locate the owners. The simple fact is that there are too many irresponsible dog owners around. So, in other words, dogs should be licenced, just like cars.

In reality how would this work?

Dog bites you.Owners are not around.
    You pick up the dog or put a lead on it to take it to a place where they can read the chip, bearing in mind this is a dog that just bit you so is probably not the friendliest of animals?
    You phone the police to say a dog bit you and wait for them to arrive and they take the dog to the vets, assuming the dog will still be hanging around 30 minutes later?

Assuming that (1) a dog has bit you and (2) the owners are not around, this sounds to me like irresponsible dog ownership and these are exactly the people who won't be chipping their dogs.

It's a pointless exercise and I won't be doing it to my dog.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    They need to take steps to reduce the number of dogs and cats that end up in animal shelters because of irresponsible owners who can just abandon them. Owners need to be made more accountable, chipping them is just one of many things that should be done.
    Responsible owners don't abandon their dogs, irresponsible owners do.
    Irresponsible dog owners don't get their dogs micro-chipped.

Remind me again of the point of responsible dog owners getting their dogs chipped?
    If you care about your pet and there's the very slightest chance however small that it could go missing for whatever reason then get it chipped.
    Alternatively, if there's no chance whatsoever that your dog will go missing, don't waster time, effort and money on getting them chipped.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In reality how would this work?

Dog bites you.Owners are not around.
    You pick up the dog or put a lead on it to take it to a place where they can read the chip, bearing in mind this is a dog that just bit you so is probably not the friendliest of animals?
    You phone the police to say a dog bit you and wait for them to arrive and they take the dog to the vets, assuming the dog will still be hanging around 30 minutes later?

Assuming that (1) a dog has bit you and (2) the owners are not around, this sounds to me like irresponsible dog ownership and these are exactly the people who won't be chipping their dogs.

It's a pointless exercise and I won't be doing it to my dog.

And, of course, the other (more unpleasant, IMO) aspect of this is that it involves inflicting pain & suffering and the apparently elevated risk of cancer on an animal just so that some people can achieve this misguided feeling of security that it will, somehow, reduce dog attacks and be good PR for the politicians that demand it.

Sorry, I won't be sticking a glass capsule in my dogs' necks just to make Nicola (Mary-doll) Sturgeon look good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Responsible owners don't abandon their dogs, irresponsible owners do.
    Irresponsible dog owners don't get their dogs micro-chipped.

Remind me again of the point of responsible dog owners getting their dogs chipped?

Alternatively, if there's no chance whatsoever that your dog will go missing, don't waster time, effort and money on getting them chipped.

Responsible owners often have to rehome their dogs in many cases it's the only responsible thing to do.
    Not chipping is going to put your dog in danger, I don't know the penalties but if you ignore the law they could eventually take your dog away from you I would guess. No responsible owner would like that to happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And, of course, the other (more unpleasant, IMO) aspect of this is that it involves inflicting pain & suffering and the apparently elevated risk of cancer on an animal just so that some people can achieve this misguided feeling of security that it will, somehow, reduce dog attacks and be good PR for the politicians that demand it.

Sorry, I won't be sticking a glass capsule in my dogs' necks just to make Nicola (Mary-doll) Sturgeon look good.

All my animals have been chipped since it first came out only one had a problem the chip migrated to his shoulder, it was done by a learner chipper so may not have been put in properly. None of the others ever had a problem and I prefer to know they have them than risk them not having them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All my animals have been chipped since it first came out only one had a problem the chip migrated to his shoulder, it was done by a learner chipper so may not have been put in properly. None of the others ever had a problem and I prefer to know they have them than risk them not having them.

I prefer not to inflict unnecessary pain or discomfort on my dogs rather than worry about hypothetical risks which have never previously concerned me.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a good idea. The whining here about it from the best dog owners in the world hasn't convinced me otherwise yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    It is a good idea. The whining here about it from the best dog owners in the world hasn't convinced me otherwise yet.

Nobody's trying to convince you of anything.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I prefer not to inflict unnecessary pain or discomfort on my dogs rather than worry about hypothetical risks which have never previously concerned me.

You could say the same thing about insurance, surely? Why go through the discomfort of paying money every month for something that's really unlikely to happen?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    You could say the same thing about insurance, surely? Why go through the discomfort of paying money every month for something that's really unlikely to happen?

Freedom of choice? You *do* have to have car insurance whereas you don't have to have life or pet insurance. It's a question of risk vs reward.

If you don't have car insurance you run the risk of points and a large fine so it's a fairly simple choice to make, plus it's well enforced.
    If you don't have life insurance, you may (not) live to rue the day you chose not to pay for it, but it's your choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not chipping is going to put your dog in danger,
    I prefer to know they have them than risk them not having them.

The sales pitch has worked rather well with you!! Pray tell, what 'danger' do you speak of and what are these perceived risks?