Cuckoo - sitcom on BBC3

Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,968
Forum Member
A new sitcom on BBC3 of which I don't know when it's starting.

But, looks interesting: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2012/cuckoo.html

Comments

• Hot ButterflyHot Butterfly Posts: 2,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Very interesting. I def shall watch it and hopefully it will be as good as that other cross-Atlantic show Episodes which I love. Thanks for the mention.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I'm planning to watch it to see if Andy Samberg is any good (I was slightly surprised when I heard he was doing something British given his stint on SNL), but Greg Davies was good on the Inbetweeners, though does his role not sound slightly similar on both shows?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was a thread about an old sitcom but then remembered that was called The Cuckoo Waltz. Anyone remember it? Diane Keen, Lewis Collins and David Roper,
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,968
    Forum Member
    Only one actor that I know who is starring in this is Tyger Drew-Honey. TBF I'm not sure how it's going to turn out.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    preview, sounds as though you have to wait until the last scene...

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/r97rs/cuckoo--series-1---1-the-homecoming

K
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Hooray! Sexy Tyger! Squeeeee!!!
    Forum Member
    johnloony wrote: »
    Hooray! Sexy Tyger! Squeeeee!!!

You are aware he's like 12, right?
  • comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a good cast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member

He's 17.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not doing anything for me at the moment
  • comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not many laughs is there?
    Forum Member
    He's 17.

Because that makes it less pervy of course....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    comedy89 wrote: »
    Not many laughs is there?

No............
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Hmmm....bit slow off the mark...but can see improvement
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Because that makes it less pervy of course....

You should lokk at thread for ITV's Leaving :eek:
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing that will save this show will be if Greg Davies gets to beat the living shit out of that smarmy, annoying little shitbag.

I expect his character is meant to be the bad guy but he is the only one I like.

Was Helen Baxendale always so wooden?
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed it!Baxendale was iffy though wasn't she?

Tyger Drew Honey has lost too much weight though :( he doesn't look very well.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    preview, sounds as though you have to wait until the last scene...

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/r97rs/cuckoo--series-1---1-the-homecoming

K
    yes I agree, the show did take on an extra dimension at the end.

Over all I enjoyed it, I think they need to develop Rachel a little bit more.

Helen Baxendale, most wonder what she has to do to get away from the name "Rachel"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I quite liked it. Not great, but watchable. I can see this going either way, but it does have promise to go somewhere funny in the next few episodes. Not on level with some of the great UK comedies for me but it is showing promise.

Greg Davies was amusing in this, I've only seen him in Inbetweeners before and I loved him in that. His character is no match for Mr. Gilbert however. Andy Samberg pulled off his character pretty well too. My main problem is that Cuckoo could develop into a pretty annoying character. Would rate it a 7/10 on the basis of the first episode. It had its moments.
    Forum Member

You are aware he's like 16, right?
    Forum Member
    The whole thing was rather unsteady and uneven. We need to see a few more episodes to see how it settles in.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greg Davies is carrying this. Cuckoo and the daughter are annoying in the extreme and this far outweighs the laughs.

Apparently BBC4’s budget is being so savagely cut that they’ll no longer be able to make any drama or comedy and yet it seems there’s an inexhaustible supply of cash for BBC3 to pump out medicore comedy series such as this.
    Forum Member
    johnloony wrote: »
    You are aware he's like 16, right?

Yes, I am. Somebody's already said it....
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Apparently BBC4’s budget is being so savagely cut that they’ll no longer be able to make any drama or comedy and yet it seems there’s an inexhaustible supply of cash for BBC3 to pump out medicore comedy series such as this.
    You missed a few things:
    a) A reliable source
    b) BBC3's budget has been cut heavily as well
    c) They'll do what they've always done and co-produce. I can think of 1 comedy and 1 drama from BBC4 (and no co-producers) in recent years, hardly a glowing record.
    d) BBC3 gets more viewers, sure that's a crude way of working it, but that's how TV works. Even the BBC.
    e) The types of shows BBC3 makes are more expensive (than the majority of BBC4's) so it's always going to need a larger budget
    f) A lot of recent shows (inc. Pramface) have been pre-brought by Hulu to help finance them.
    g) The point were you're subjective opinion ruled the world

and on a side note, one of the biggest upcoming stars in the US is on this show, could they really pass on it? Same with Jack Whitehall's Bad Education. There was never a chance in hell they'd have said no, especially after his success in Fresh Meat. BBCW will almost certainly be able to make back a large portion of it's budget simply in US sales...
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You missed a few things:
    a) A reliable source

Do your own research.
    b) BBC3's budget has been cut heavily as well

Not to the extent BBC4 has.
    c) They'll do what they've always done and co-produce. I can think of 1 comedy and 1 drama from BBC4 (and no co-producers) in recent years, hardly a glowing record.

Think harder.
    d) BBC3 gets more viewers, sure that's a crude way of working it, but that's how TV works. Even the BBC.

Ratings are a factor but not the be all and end all. They’re not ITV.
    e) The types of shows BBC3 makes are more expensive (than the majority of BBC4's) so it's always going to need a larger budget

Nonsensical statement. They all cut their cloth to what’s been available. BBC4 managed to send Mark Gatiss to the moon in one of their dramas so it’s not like they couldn’t use the budget BBC3 has unfairly been given all these years to entertain the chavs and the yoof. Does Snog, Marry, Avoid cost millions per ep to make? No? Thought not.
    f) A lot of recent shows (inc. Pramface) have been pre-brought by Hulu to help finance them.

So? Standard practice throughout the industry.
    g) The point were you're subjective opinion ruled the world

Glad you see it that way. At least we agree on something.
    ..and on a side note, one of the biggest upcoming stars in the US is on this show, could they really pass on it?

I don’t have enough fingers and toes on which to count the number of ex-SNLers that have failed to fulfill their hype. I doubt this lacklustre sitcom will help propel him to Adam Sandler levels of stardom.

Pretty shit-hot with the facts aren’t you?