Options

How long to spend viewing a house?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
Forum Member
✭✭
I have a few viewings for houses I want to rent coming up on Saturday. My question is, how long is "acceptable" to spend looking around? I don't want to spend ages (these are still other people's homes) but at the same time I don't want to rush and overlook things...when you were last renting/buying how long did you spend viewing properties? And did you go back for more than one viewing before coming to a decision?

Comments

• Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enough time as is needed to get a feel for the place and to check out whatever you want/need to check out? And go back as many times as is needed, really...

For rental places I tended to only need one viewing per move and took lots of reference photos. Purchasing is another matter.
  • Options
    tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're looking to buy, you need to visit several times, preferably at different times of day to get a feel for traffic and noise, and also in different weather. A windy rainy day can show up drafts or leaks that a bright sunny still day won't.
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've moved three times and I tend to rush viewings where I don't get a good vibe (such as the landlord being drunk or demanding more money when they realise I have a husband!) but for properties I'm interested in, it can be half an hour to an hour depending how much I get chatting to the landlord. Sometimes the L/L will let you view multiple times depending on how many people are viewing so you can see what it's like at night etc.

When we came to view our current flat, I absolutely hated it. There was no furniture, we're single glazed on a main street and the walls were manky from past student tenants. Mr Kivi convinced me otherwise because it was cheap, dead central and the L/L was happy to paint the place and give us our keys a few days early. I'm very glad that my first impression was wrong and I gave it a chance. I love it here :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a good idea to make two visits, particularly if buying.

If the initial impression makes a positive impact on you, it's easy to overlook other issues that might point to spending more money than you bargained for later on.

Paintwork, wallpaper and carpets are easy to change, but making a property bigger is far more expensive, so don’t get drawn in by new carpets, curtains, etc, because they are relatively cheap to replace. Estate Agents often advise people to reduce furniture to make the property seem bigger, so think about how much storage you will need, and how much space will be require to accommodate it, e.g. wardrobes, chest of drawers, etc.

Also, recommend making one of the visits an evening one - even if you don't go in, but just sit in your car for ten minutes to take in what goes on re kids playing out, parking issues, boy racers roaring around, etc, and other small things that can be quite annoying if a problem. Most areas are quiet during the day when people are at work and kids are at school, but sometimes things change a lot in the evenings.

If buying, I would make sure you get a good surveyor to fully vet the property - paying the extra can be a bind when there are so many expenses attached to buying a house, but a comprehensive survey can often pay for itself by getting the price reduced to allow for any necessary work.
  • Options
    scott789sscott789s Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was house hunting there a few properties I knew the instant I walked through the door they were not for me. Often had to fake interest and string out the viewing rather than just walk out after 10 seconds.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Renting's a lot different to buying. When renting you want to take a good look around to make sure that everything that is the landlord's responsibility to maintain and supply is in working order. You also need to take time to assess the overall condition of installed fittings and fixtures and especially to ensure that the gas safety certificate is up to date, that the boiler is serviced annually and that the electrics and the fuse box are safe.

You should also ask for a copy of the tenancy agreement and check out all, and I mean all, the clauses to make sure that you understand what the landlord requires of you and that everything is legal. If you have any concerns about the agreement or any aspect of the property's condition then you should bring these to the attention of the landlord BEFORE you sign up. If there's anything that needs doing then you will obviously want to view again to make sure the work has been done to your satisfaction and up to standard.

Have a look at Shelter's website to help you with these matters: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/private_renting
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    For renting I would spend as long as you need to spend to check all is working.

I would spend time, flushing toilets, turning on the shower, opening and closing doors, etc

My friend failed to do that and when she moved in she found that the toilet door didn't close properly as it was damaged, and the landlord tried to blame her for it!!
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When buying my last house. It took three viewings before the offer, as well as driving by at certain times to check out the neighbourhood.

Even then I got the keys for a private viewing before exchange.

When spending so much money, you cannot afford to mess it up
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am only renting, so I think that makes it much less risk. I still do want to be careful though - but I'd be a bit hesitant about messing with the shower etc when people are still living there! Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    I am only renting, so I think that makes it much less risk. I still do want to be careful though - but I'd be a bit hesitant about messing with the shower etc when people are still living there! Thanks for the advice.

So what?? They aren't going to be there much longer and you will never see them again!

Its up to you, but personally I would ensure that everything is in working order first as it harder to get something sorted after you've moved in, whereas you can stipulate certain changes before you move in,
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 visit will be enough if its what you don't want. As many as you like if you are interested.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just moved house. I started looking end of May last year, and everything was either too dear, wrong area, too much work needed, or I was outbid. Then I saw this house online one Tuesday evening. I got a viewing for 4.00pm the following Thursday. Although it was mid September, it was plenty light enough to see the house was ok from the outside ( so important ). The owner showed me round, and then I went quickly round by myself. I was allowed to open wardrobes and cupboards to see inside, and they answered all my questions in great depth. It was about 40 minutes altogether, but I knew it was the one for me within the first 5 minutes ! After four months of looking it was not only the best house I'd seen, but the best décor, location and the cheapest one I'd viewed. Went straight out to the car, put in a note of interest and offer by phone. It went to closure at noon the following day, and I got a call from my solicitor to say it was mine ! Three days to sell a house - 6 people after it but I got it - amazing !
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    go with a checklist
    fusebox look reasonably up to date?
    Boiler up to date?
    Floorboards not bouncy when walked upon
    Roof and guttering look reasonable
    local noise...check at a few times of day/night
    travellers living in the next field meaning your shed is 24x7 at risk etc
    so many things, if anything seems not right make a note of it so you can remember and get it sorted
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When viewing my last rental property, I failed to realise the significance of all the smellies the current tenant had lying around, however, 4 months after moving in little mould patches began appearing and a strong smell of damp and mould. Anything material that touched an outside wall turned green and furry within 4 weeks and my wooden furniture in every room started going green.

It is worth investing in a damp detector you just press it against the wall. Look in cupboards, have a close look in bathrooms and make sure all door close properly, you are looking at the structure and fittings, not the current tenants property. Good luck and consider taking a friend to occupy the tenant/landlord whilst you have mouch in cupboards and behind doors.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=damp+detector+uk&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&gws_rd=cr&ei=UNgLU5vjCsrT7Abtx4DYBg#channel=fflb&q=damp+detector+uk&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&tbm=shop&spd=11881607938300747569
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends how much you like the place if you go in the door and instantly hate the place then its pointless wasting anymore time looking at it. If you like the place then spend a good amount of time going round each room and outside during the day. If you like a place go back at night and check of the area to see if it is safe.

If you want to rent somewhere make sure you inspect the place with the letting agent or landlord ensure any damage or faults are noted and corrected before you move in.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'd stop worrying about having a stopwatch shoved into your face, and start worrying about the actual property you are viewing!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as you feel comfortable. It's a big decision so you shouldn't feel hurried.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    For renting I used to go and have a look at places, spending no more than about 10 minutes in each place to get an idea about size, condition and location. Any I thought were suitable my now wife would then come and have a quick look to make sure she was ok with it. So I'd have my second look then.

Have only brought once and we went once and spend 15-20 minutes there and both knew when we left that we wanted it. Then around a week later we arranged another viewing, but I was unwell so wife went alone, she was round there about an hour chatting to the couple and having tea etc.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most viewings take 10 - 15 minutes. You might find the agent has scheduled someone 10 minutes after you so they might get a bit edgy if you look around for ages. We've been house hunting for a rental this month and I can tell within about two minutes if it's going to be a yes or a no.

My advice is to take a notepad and write everything down, positive and negative. If you see a lot of places you will get confused over which was the one with the difficult parking, which one had the damp in the corner, which one had a nice kitchen but tiny living room...