BBC/Sky Golf Coverage 2014

Comments

• davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And of course, as I said earlier, it would not be helped by the fact that VM customers like me, who would prefer to watch the Sky coverage, were forced to the BBC for HD coverage. Just short sighted by Sky.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Sports 4 reach and share figures show a healthy increase on the regular golf watchers/viewing for The Masters this year. The channel's share increased five fold.

W/E April 6, 1.895m 0.1%

W/E April 13, Masters week, 2.978m 0.5%

W/E April 20, 1.345m 0.1%
  • redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of a bump for the '5th major' starting on sky tonight

Wonder if we get Master Monty for this or the great one is only used for the majors
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Commentary on-site this year? Harmon in the comm-box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great having Wayne Riley on the course. Apart from his brilliant 3D on course commentary in Medinah for the 2012 Ryder Cup, I don't think he's done any Stateside work for Sky.
  • BoozyuziBoozyuzi Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have a missed something - is Ewen Murray commentating this week ? I think I've only heard Riley, Roe & McGinlay tonight.

Edit, Ewen's turned up. Does he commentate on the Golf Channel as well ?
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    US Open is on SS4.

(Per SPI - schedule out for R1 and R2 only)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anybody let me know what the Sky team is please for the US open?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Frank Nobilo work for any US broadcasters at The Open or does he come over solely for the BBC??
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC direction abysmal. Seen about about the same seven golfers in the morning lots - and about same 6 this afternoon, seeing every bloody shot of Ernie Els who is well out of contention.

ESPN US are worse. Watched it for half an hour - when Alliss was in the box. There were 3/4 ad-breaks about 15 shots seen in total and lots of scenery shots with pish inane talk. Much of which Alliss had talked endlessly on the BBC coverage earlier on the 'good old days'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Per Sky September highlights document:

The entire Ryder Cup will be on SS4.

Consistent with Sky's golf policy throughout the year - including their coverage of the US Masters, US Open and US PGA Championship.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Really liking the BBC Open 2014 Leaderboard stream with the inset feed.
    Nice to just flip the stream and see it.
    The official open scoreboard online is just awful.
    But, only when its working, was down a lot yesterday online and bbc sport app and has only just appeared live now for today.
    The BBC website live reporting page coverage is very bad mind, so much preferred the old live sportsday format, it seems to be so slow now and lacking with updates.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC did put the Radio 5 Live commentary of the Ryder Cup on the BBC Red Button last year because we were doing well.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Per Sky September highlights document:

The entire Ryder Cup will be on SS4.

Consistent with Sky's golf policy throughout the year - including their coverage of the US Masters, US Open and US PGA Championship.
    And it's been announced this morning that SS4 will change its name to "Sky Sports Ryder Cup" for the duration.

http://www1.skysports.com/golf/news/26733/9387614/sky-sports-ryder-cup-the-only-place-to-see-exclusive-live-coverage-of-golfs-biggest-event
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://pgatour.cbssports.com/live/
    extra holes for this weeks events...not blocked either...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would it be in Sky's contract that they have got to show the featured group under the red button or would it be a decision sky have made themselves?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would it be in Sky's contract that they have got to show the featured group under the red button or would it be a decision sky have made themselves?

The contract must give them the option of showing it - but whether they are obliged to I don't know.

Or do you mean could Sky show it on the "main" SS4? Don't know - but they probably wouldn't want to given the large amount of time needed to fill between shots - which is just a static caption for much of the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any news on Critchley?

I watched every minute last night when Rory was on course and no sign at all of Bruce.

Watched a fair amount of R1 and R2 and he didn't appear at any point - though wasn't watching continuously so I thought there was a small chance I may have just missed him.

So is he there? If not (and if he's not unwell) then looks as if Sky may finally be phasing him out.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may be of interest to you mlt11 from yesterday:

Sky Sports 1
    17:00 - Live Football League: 291k (2.3%)

Sky Sports 4
    16:00 - Live PGA Championship: 310k (2.2%)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Sky Sports 4
    16:00 - Live PGA Championship: 310k (2.2%)

Thanks.

The PGA Championship was an 8 hour programme (actually 8.5 hours as it over-ran to 12.30am) - with 4 hours of coverage before Rory McIlroy began his round at 8pm.

So do you have a peak for the programme? Would have thought it may have peaked at around 500k - or even a bit more?
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks.

The PGA championship was an 8 hour programme (actually 8.5 hours as it over-ran to 12.30am) - with 4 hours of coverage before Rory McIlroy teed-off at 8pm.

So do you have a peak for the programme? would have thought it may have peaked at around 500k - or even a bit more?

Sadly not I'm afraid, but I suspect it was around 500k, probably higher given that the 310k covers the eight hours.

It won't make any difference due to the very long length, but the 310k is from 16:00 to 00:00 - doesn't account for any overrun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Sadly not I'm afraid, but I suspect it was around 500k, probably higher given that the 310k covers the eight hours.

It won't make any difference due to the very long length, but the 310k is from 16:00 to 00:00 - doesn't account for any overrun.

Ok - thanks a lot.

Will be interesting to see the figures for the final round tonight - should in theory be a bit higher.
  • Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any news on Critchley?

I watched every minute last night when Rory was on course and no sign at all of Bruce.

Watched a fair amount of R1 and R2 and he didn't appear at any point - though wasn't watching continuously so I thought there was a small chance I may have just missed him.

So is he there? If not (and if he's not unwell) then looks as if Sky may finally be phasing him out.

Not sure if it's a travel thing, he seems to travel to the US very sparingly these days

He worked on the WGC event last week, but I got the impression they were off-tube.

The Sky Sports piece on the Ryder Cup mentioned him as being on commentary so he still seems to be in their plans

http://www1.skysports.com/golf/news/26732/9387614/sky-sports-ryder-cup-only-place-to-see-exclusive-live-coverage-of-golfs-biggest-event
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex2606 wrote: »
    Not sure if it's a travel thing, he seems to travel to the US very sparingly these days

He worked on the WGC event last week, but I got the impression they were off-tube.

The Sky Sports piece on the Ryder Cup mentioned him as being on commentary so he still seems to be in their plans

http://www1.skysports.com/golf/news/26732/9387614/sky-sports-ryder-cup-only-place-to-see-exclusive-live-coverage-of-golfs-biggest-event

Thanks.

Yes - I thought the WGC was almost definitely off-tube - so looks like travelling is the answer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky on site for the Barclays.

Sarah Stirk hosting, Butch's son Claude Harmon III commentating with Mark Roe and Andrew Coltart on the course.