Options

Raydons Custom Firmware

Comments

• Options
    Joolio GeordioJoolio Geordio Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Hi
    Yes just tried again with a download from the link you posted. It still didn't load. I formatted the usb stick prior to loading it.

Just tried using a different freshly formated USB stick and the result is the same, I guess it is a corrupted file.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just tried using a different freshly formated USB stick and the result is the same, I guess it is a corrupted file.

I would post in Custom Firmware thread at AVforums. I doubt the
    file is corrupted.

Also more here

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/nowsters-patch.4616/
  • Options
    Lt. DangLt. Dang Posts: 292
    Forum Member

When I loaded the Nowster patch from USB it doesn't look like anything happens when you boot the Foxsat. But if you then record a HD program and check it on the Media list on screen you will see that the HD recording no longer has a red ENC flag to the right of the title. This means the HD recording is not encrypted and the Nowster patch has worked. Have you checked that?
    Regards,

Lt. Dang
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lt. Dang wrote: »
    When I loaded the Nowster patch from USB it doesn't look like anything happens when you boot the Foxsat. But if you then record a HD program and check it on the Media list on screen you will see that the HD recording no longer has a red ENC flag to the right of the title. This means the HD recording is not encrypted and the Nowster patch has worked. Have you checked that?
    Regards,

Lt. Dang
    My HD recordings are still showing up as encrypted.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My HD recordings are still showing up as encrypted.

Your new ones? Obviously the old ones will still be encrypted.

The nowster patch worked for me. Did your usb look like it was being accessed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Your new ones? Obviously the old ones will still be encrypted.

The nowster patch worked for me. Did your usb look like it was being accessed?

I made two HD recordings last night each time after re booting the Foxsat after trying to load Nowster in both cases they still show the ENC flag. The Foxsat didn't give any indication of recognising either USB drive with the usual a USB device has been connected message. .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I made two HD recordings last night each time after re booting the Foxsat after trying to load Nowster in both cases they still show the ENC flag. The Foxsat didn't give any indication of recognising either USB drive with the usual a USB device has been connected message. .

I would be tempted to reformat the stick as FAT32 and then put the patch back on it then maybe try the USB port on the back of the Humax for the boot up?
    Regards,

Lt. Dang
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    No need for USB, you can install the patch via telnet if you have an internet connection. Just open a telnet session with your HDR then enter this command to install it:
    opkg install http://www.nowster.org.uk/humax/settop-patch_4.0.9utc_mips.opk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Success! I tried loading from a reformatted USB stick in the rear USB port. It didn't take at 1st then on the second attempt I in accidentally attempted an HD recording with the stick in the port and no ENC flag appeared. Attempted another half a dozen recordings with the stick removed and no ENC flag again,

Thank for your help everyone.

All the best

Joolio
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Success! I tried loading from a reformatted USB stick in the rear USB port. It didn't take at 1st then on the second attempt I in accidentally attempted an HD recording with the stick in the port and no ENC flag appeared. Attempted another half a dozen recordings with the stick removed and no ENC flag again,

Joolio

Good news.

One thing to watch out for if you connect to your router via ethernet cable, is that for some reason the connection stops nearly every day with the Nowster patch.

A restart of the STB brings it back.

This didn't happen with the Custom firmware before the patch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good news.

One thing to watch out for if you connect to your router via ethernet cable, is that for some reason the connection stops nearly every day with the Nowster patch.

A restart of the STB brings it back.

This didn't happen with the Custom firmware before the patch.

Mine is connected with a direct cable, it's never happened to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mine is connected with a direct cable, it's never happened to me.

Same here. What I did do though was set the Foxsat up with a static IP address.
    Regards,

Lt. Dang
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lt. Dang wrote: »
    Same here. What I did do though was set the Foxsat up with a static IP address.
    Regards,

Lt. Dang

You could be on to something. I have my router set to reserve all my kit's MAC addresses so they never change.

However the OP has the CF it would be pretty obvious if the box IP address changed (perhaps that what the post means).

I can't see how Nowsters patch can possibly be involved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could be on to something. I have my router set to reserve all my kit's MAC addresses so they never change.

However the OP has the CF it would be pretty obvious if the box IP address changed (perhaps that what the post means).

I can't see how Nowsters patch can possibly be involved.

It might be the way I've set things up. I am not very good at networking, e.g. I don't know how to make sure the router gives out a static address.

I've got a static address on the Humax but again I don't know if it conflicts with my other equipment that is attached to the network.

But I'm sure this didn't happen before I applied the patch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might be the way I've set things up. I am not very good at networking, e.g. I don't know how to make sure the router gives out a static address.

I've got a static address on the Humax but again I don't know if it conflicts with my other equipment that is attached to the network.

But I'm sure this didn't happen before I applied the patch.

What make of router do you have ? How did you make the address static ?

Nowsters patch simply makes the Foxsat treat HD recordings the same as SD ones. I can't see how it could possibly affect anything else. If it did there would have been loads of posts. The mark one version did have issues with timing at clock change (resolved a long time ago).

It could be a NVRAM corruption issue, back up your recording schedule and then carry out a reset to factory defaults. Restore your recording schedule after the reset.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Nowsters patch simply makes the Foxsat treat HD recordings the same as SD ones. I can't see how it could possibly affect anything else. If it did there would have been loads of posts.

It could be a NVRAM corruption issue, back up your recording schedule and then carry out a reset to factory defaults. Restore your recording schedule after the reset.
    Hi
    I haven't had enough opportunity to observe it in action to know if this is happening. Would appreciate your advice on how to make it a static ip address. I just inputted the address shown by the Foxsat.
    I have to say that I have had a little play around with the modified Foxsat and I am fantastically impressed with it. Unencrypted HD recording and file transfer around the network working very well. The only weak spot in my network is the inability of my Roku to read Humax files but that is down to the Rokus limitations not the Custom Firmware. My solution is to apply the Firmware upgrade to my second Foxsat still connected to the TV but not to the satellite dish due to the unexpected arrival of Sky into stately Geordio manor. That way I should be able to transfer programmes recorded upstairs to the external hard drive connected to the downstairs Foxsat.
    Joolio
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi
    I haven't had enough opportunity to observe it in action to know if this is happening. Would appreciate your advice on how to make it a static ip address. I just inputted the address shown by the Foxsat.
    I have to say that I have had a little play around with the modified Foxsat and I am fantastically impressed with it. Unencrypted HD recording and file transfer around the network working very well. The only weak spot in my network is the inability of my Roku to read Humax files but that is down to the Rokus limitations not the Custom Firmware. My solution is to apply the Firmware upgrade to my second Foxsat still connected to the TV but not to the satellite dish due to the unexpected arrival of Sky into stately Geordio manor. That way I should be able to transfer programmes recorded upstairs to the external hard drive connected to the downstairs Foxsat.
    Joolio

I think the IP address is a red herring, if it changed you could not access the Foxsat via the Web Interface. Can't the Roku see either of the two alternative DLNA servers available in the packages. I take it you have installed at least one.

Have you tried the factory reset ?

You can cross mount two Foxsat-hdrs using the NASmount package so you can play recordings on one on the other. (If you do this you need the fixfilepaths package to correct the path stored in the .hmt file). No idea if not having a dish connection to one would affect this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

My router is a Technicolor 582n. I've checked the router and it had a .69 ip addess asigned to the my Humax. I had manually changed the address on the Humax as ending in .64.

So I've changed it to .69 on the humax and will see if that helps.

Update: Just checked the router again and next to status (for the humax device) it now says 'Active' where before it had said 'Inactive'. So hopefully that will help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My router is a Technicolor 582n. I've checked the router and it had a .69 ip addess asigned to the my Humax. I had manually changed the address on the Humax as ending in .64.

So I've changed it to .69 on the humax and will see if that helps.

Update: Just checked the router again and next to status (for the humax device) it now says 'Active' where before it had said 'Inactive'. So hopefully that will help.

Not an expert either, with my router (Virgin) there is two ways to make the address static.

One - reduce the pool of addresses available to DHCP and assign a manual address on the box above this.

Two - make note of your Foxsat's MAC address (from network settings) and then use the routers reserved address capability to reserve this address.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the IP address is a red herring, if it changed you could not access the Foxsat via the Web Interface. Can't the Roku see either of the two alternative DLNA servers available in the packages. I take it you have installed at least one.

Have you tried the factory reset ?

You can cross mount two Foxsat-hdrs using the NASmount package so you can play recordings on one on the other. (If you do this you need the fixfilepaths package to correct the path stored in the .hmt file). No idea if not having a dish connection to one would affect this.

Sadly I think that it is a limitation of the Roku box. It sees the Foxsat fine and can navigate my programme files easily just when you try to play a programme it throws up an incompatible file format message. I wondered about cross mounting the Foxsats. Would I need a Nas drive somewhere in the network to do this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I think the IP change has solved the lost connection problem, so ignore my post above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Much of the advantages you gain with the CF is improving the recording capability, You can for instance set recordings using a computer. You can also set up recordings remotely from anywhere with access to the internet. . Without a dish you obviously can't record.
    Hi I have been trying to set up remote recordings when outside of the house. How are you able to do this? I am unable to access the Foxsat and only get a blank screen on my browser.

Cheers
    Joolio
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi I have been trying to set up remote recordings when outside of the house. How are you able to do this? I am unable to access the Foxsat and only get a blank screen on my browser.

Cheers
    Joolio

I assume this is it. I'm agoraphobic so don't have use of it. :)

http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Remote_Scheduling
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume this is it. I'm agoraphobic so don't have use of it. :)

http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Remote_Scheduling

That's for the HDR FOX T2 (Freeview box). The Foxsat-hdr works a bit differently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cheers
    Joolio

Open the documentation pages (The books icon in the Webif). Open faq's and then select the tab Accessing Webif From The Internet.