films you're surprised haven't been rebooted yet

big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
Forum Member
✭✭
With the recent trend of rebooting movies and Hollywood running out of ideas what movies are you surprised haven't been rebooted yet?

For me I'm shocked that flash Gordon is never mentioned as possibly being rebooted.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    The Exorcist, some really bloody awful sequels apart from maybe Part 3. But the original seems to be pretty sacred so far thank Pazuzu.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me I'm shocked that flash Gordon is never mentioned as possibly being rebooted.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/flash-gordon-movie-works-at-698291 ;)
  • highwayman_nehighwayman_ne Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Time Bandits
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Exorcist, some really bloody awful sequels apart from maybe Part 3. But the original seems to be pretty sacred so far thank Pazuzu.

There was talks about a tv show of the exorcist, and there were two prequels out not too long ago
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time Bandits

This one sprung to mind too, but more that i'm surprised that nobody has taken a few of Gilliams films and tried to make more mainstream versions of them. Of course, that would be to miss the point of Gilliam's films, but since when has that stopped Hollywood?
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remo Williams. Based on a series of best selling novels called The Destroyer.

A film was made in 1985 with Fred Ward playing Remo Williams, directed by Bond director Guy Hamilton. It was hoped it would lead to a Bond style franchise but the film did not perform well at the box office.

However I thought it was a pretty decent and underrated little movie, despite Joel Grey's hideously caricatured oriental character.

Given all of the recent Bond reboots, Bourne movies, Jack Reacher, John Wick etc...all movies with a strong male protagonist, this would seem to fit neatly into the same genre.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Gremlins, Lost Boys, Goonies (I think a sequel, was mooted around)

With Lost you could have Keifer playing the Head Vampire this time around
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Godfather.
    2001 A Space Odyssey
    Laurence of Arabia

Don't laugh - could happen!

I think it can't be too long before someone goes "we need a Harry Palmer for the 21st century" and casts Jude Law
  • Gemma_HardingGemma_Harding Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back to The Future... Really surprised someone hasn't decided to do something with that
  • Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only reason I can think why reboots or sequels to Gremlins, Back to the Future and Roger Rabbit haven't happened in the last 25 years is due Steven Spielberg. Those franchises are pure money, but due to being owned by Amblin it won't happen without his authority. Thank heavens, otherwise there would have 20 sequels by now if owned by Disney or Fox.

Surprised there hasn't been a Ferris Bueller reboot come sequel, with Broderick as the dad. That was a huge hit at the time and led to forgotten TV series.

He-Man is another. Due to a toy line, 2 cartoons and a movie between 82 and 90, what guy between 25 and 40 doesn't remember He Man and Skeletor? Due to this generation having 5 to 10 year old kids it should be an easy money spinner for a partnership with Mattel and Nickelodeon.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    The Godfather.
    2001 A Space Odyssey
    Laurence of Arabia

Don't laugh - could happen!

I think it can't be too long before someone goes "we need a Harry Palmer for the 21st century" and casts Jude Law

There was a TV film about Lawrence that is kind of a sequel to the first film.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee_Smith2 wrote: »
    The only reason I can think why reboots or sequels to Gremlins, Back to the Future and Roger Rabbit haven't happened in the last 25 years is due Steven Spielberg. Those franchises are pure money, but due to being owned by Amblin it won't happen without his authority. Thank heavens, otherwise there would have 20 sequels by now if owned by Disney or Fox.

Surprised there hasn't been a Ferris Bueller reboot come sequel, with Broderick as the dad. That was a huge hit at the time and led to forgotten TV series.

He-Man is another. Due to a toy line, 2 cartoons and a movie between 82 and 90, what guy between 25 and 40 doesn't remember He Man and Skeletor? Due to this generation having 5 to 10 year old kids it should be an easy money spinner for a partnership with Mattel and Nickelodeon.

He - man is a good shout.
    Had the guy who plays thor not got that job then he would have been a good shout
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    There was talks about a tv show of the exorcist,

Yeah, some procedural exorcism of the week show. That would have been fun, works for Constantine ;-)

And before that, the original author was going to write and direct a mini-series of his novel but when William Friedkin bowed to Blatty's pressure to reinstate the scenes that appeared in the "Version You've Never Seen" in 2000 Blatty didn't feel the need for a mini-series anymore.
    and there were two prequels out not too long ago

Let's pretend they only exist in some far off universe :p

I also think that William Peter Blatty has full copyright of the story which is probably how the original itself has never been remande.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Lee_Smith2 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure a script was greenlighted recently for a MOTU movie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, some procedural exorcism of the week show. That would have been fun, works for Constantine ;-)

And before that, the original author was going to write and direct a mini-series of his novel but when William Friedkin bowed to Blatty's pressure to reinstate the scenes that appeared in the "Version You've Never Seen" in 2000 Blatty didn't feel the need for a mini-series anymore.

Let's pretend they only exist in some far off universe :p

I also think that William Peter Blatty has full copyright of the story which is probably how the original itself has never been remande.

I think another reason there has not been an Exorcist remake is that there have been so many similar movies made that slavishly copy it, films based around people possessed and with full-on exorcism scenes. Last Exorcism and its sequel, Exorcism of Emily Rose and many tatty, cheap similar knock-off's.

In fact a quick look at IMDB shows some hilarious ones...Shark Exorcist, The Sexorcist, The Mexorcist...why, with such obviously quality fare to choose from, who needs a remake...;-)
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spiderman
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Biggles.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blade
    missing in action
    the hidden
    barbarella
    supergirl
    beastmaster
    red sonja
    the avengers (uk version)
    street fighter
    the warriors
    the outsiders
    the last starfighter
    the monster squad
    top gun
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    With the recent trend of rebooting movies and Hollywood running out of ideas what movies are you surprised haven't been rebooted yet?

And speaking of pulp heroes, I'm surprised neither Doc Savage or The Shadow
    has ever gotten a second outing (there was talk of an Arnie Doc Savage
    at one point).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Biggles.

I cannot imagine anyone anywhere commenting on the announcement of a reboot/remake of this one crying 'No! Why do they feel the need to remake it? The original was perfect!' etc.

Because...frankly...it was FAR from perfect.

Also gets my vote for one of the worst theme songs ever (And I grew up with Jon Anderson/Yes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txCOB6wTkt4
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Scarface
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Probably because the last tv version back in 2007 was a complete disaster.

Even if they did another Flash Gordon film no one could possibly be as good a Prince Vultan as Brian Blessed??
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's had a television film remake, but I am actually surprised that 12 Angry Men hasn't been remade with some the top Hollywood A Listers heading the cast.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I cannot imagine anyone anywhere commenting on the announcement of a reboot/remake of this one crying 'No! Why do they feel the need to remake it? The original was perfect!' etc.

Because...frankly...it was FAR from perfect.

I remember being obsessed with the Biggles books as a kid and wanting to
    see this film when it came out, but apparently someone told my Mum it
    was rated "12" so she said, "Sorry- you'll have to wait a few years to
    see that film". I did see it a few years later and it wasn't much good.

Anyway, isn't Biggles a bit dated for modern cinema audiences? For a start,
    most of his exploits take place in the bloodbath of WWI, not exactly a promising
    locale for blockbuster escapism.

Also, while there are many British heroes who appeal to US audiences (Sherlock Holmes, James Bond, Doctor Who and Harry Potter) Captain Bigglesworth is largely unknown across the Atlantic, and I suspect only expat Brits and Monty Python fans ;-) would know who Biggles is there.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Halloween is being rebooted all over again. It's already been greenlit. Going to be written by the writers of the Saw franchise.