Miss Congeniality - scholarship programme?

MissCharleyPMissCharleyP Posts: 1,168
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just finished watching the first 'Miss Congeniality' film for about the 35th time! One thing I've always wondered is why do they (Miss Morningside and the rest) keep defending the pageant as a 'scholarship programme'?? Gracie is (I tnink) in her late 20s and Cheryl mentions about being attacked by her professor at college. So, what is the scholarship for? Most of the other contestants seem around the same age and AFAIK, in the US college is roughly equivalent to university in the UK, so most of them would have either already been or not bothered going. I love the film but thought it was an odd defence to use!

Comments

• jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah yeah.

😜
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure what the answer is so I thought I'd quote Michael Caine's character instead :p

'oh my god I haven't seen a walk like that since Jurassic Park'
    '...It's all in the buttocks don't I look pretty'
  • ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished watching the first 'Miss Congeniality' film for about the 35th time! One thing I've always wondered is why do they (Miss Morningside and the rest) keep defending the pageant as a 'scholarship programme'?? Gracie is (I tnink) in her late 20s and Cheryl mentions about being attacked by her professor at college. So, what is the scholarship for? Most of the other contestants seem around the same age and AFAIK, in the US college is roughly equivalent to university in the UK, so most of them would have either already been or not bothered going. I love the film but thought it was an odd defence to use!

Potential plot hole spotted, however, I have some thoughts...

- Gracie is undercover so pretending to be a young, naive beauty queen so I'm guessing they fudged her age to make her seem college-aged as well as her interests, hobbies and body hair! ;-)

- Cheryl may be at college still, you can probably get a scholarship to cover a post-graduate course or maybe the remainder of her tuition?

- Lastly, I think the constant reminding that its a scholarship programme, instead of a beauty pagent which it clearly is, is satire and tongue-in-cheek because some of the ladies don't need a scholarship anymore. Realistically, and I haven't researched this, but I don't think most of the Miss America winners pursue complex careers (and just a reminder, I haven't researched so if I'm wrong I put my hands up and admit I'm wrong!)
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Yeah yeah.

😜

YES!>:(:p