Options

'Christian Firm' Refuses To Print Gay Couple's Invitations

pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
Forum Member
✭✭
As per the title, and a similar case last year in Northern Ireland, a Republic of Ireland company has refused to print invitations for a gay customer on the basis of their strongly held religious beliefs.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31753375

The usual lines are trotted out, including not wanting to support the "gay agenda" (we must stop doing that as a group) and also that the owners are incredibly religious, Christian, Bible loving people... (but just only the parts of the Bible that suit them, obviously).

*sigh*

Comments

• Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their business, Their rules.

I do think once its reported its so the gay couple can get attention. Even if they want it or not.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand how these stories are making the media.

If I didn't know they were a Christian company who were against it, I would let them personally know I was disappointed and then move on to another company.

If I did know they were a Christian company against what I wanted, I would just go straight to another company.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    once again, their "beliefs" should not reflect their "business", otherwise they'll lose them .....
    just go somewhere else, one that isn't so one dimensional!
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their business, Their rules.
    So, if they refused to serve a Muslim or a black person you'd still say the same thing?

If you open a business to the public, you serve the public, not only who you want to serve.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    So, if they refused to serve a Muslim or a black person you'd still say the same thing?

If you open a business to the public, you serve the public, not only who you want to serve.

A pub can ban people it does not like.

I would just go somewhere else, not report it to everyone under the sun to get it blown into a big thing.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »

it's a business not a public service. The only thing a business server is it's own bottom line, in this case to it's own detriment.

No one can be forced to take on a contract.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    I don't understand how these stories are making the media.

If I didn't know they were a Christian company who were against it, I would let them personally know I was disappointed and then move on to another company.

If I did know they were a Christian company against what I wanted, I would just go straight to another company.

If we allow that this is acceptable on the grounds of religious belief what else should we accept, discrimination on the basis of gender, race, not holding the same set of religious beliefs? Where does it end? Shoplifting for Jesus? After all he was all about giving to the poor.

Discrimination like this is not okay, the fact that these bigots are trying to take refuge in their religious beliefs doesn't make it any more acceptable.
  • Options
    David_Flanagan1David_Flanagan1 Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Im not supporting the religious and their ability to discriminate but im not comfortable with using the law to force people business to produce any product.
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would just go somewhere else, not report it to everyone under the sun to get it blown into a big thing.

I think that's what should happen, if it's not something that's going to be dealt with by law. Everyone should know about their business practices, so that they can avoid supporting the business if they don't agree with discriminating against people on the basis of gender. Through word of mouth, journalism, or they should unequivocally announce to all potential customers all of what they're going to discriminate on the basis of.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Im not supporting the religious and their ability to discriminate but im not comfortable with using the law to force people business to produce any product.
    It's just making sure a business doesn't discriminate
    The business needs to produce products or close
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    David_Flanagan1David_Flanagan1 Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    So long as they would refuse to derve the product to a person of any sexuality then i respect their right to refusal. Although i would be left thinking they are backward religous types but hey ho if thats there thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't care what laws or regulations say on this matter, a person who owns a business should do as they wish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wrong again. A pub can't just ban someone because, for example, they are gay.
  • Options
    VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I don't respect their reasoning, I respect that they have a right to decline their custom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong again. A pub can't just ban someone because, for example, they are gay.

Not from what I have seen regarding to people they don't like, not gays but just people they don't like.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    If we allow that this is acceptable on the grounds of religious belief what else should we accept, discrimination on the basis of gender, race, not holding the same set of religious beliefs? Where does it end? Shoplifting for Jesus? After all he was all about giving to the poor.

Discrimination like this is not okay, the fact that these bigots are trying to take refuge in their religious beliefs doesn't make it any more acceptable.

I'm not saying it's acceptable. I'm saying why use their service and give them your money if they are against you. It's their loss IMO.

Edit: you also sound close to the view point of saying churches should have to marry gay people or face discriminatory charges.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care what laws or regulations say on this matter, a person who owns a business should do as they wish.

You don't care what the law says?

Ok.

But you're still wrong when you say 'their business, their rules'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VDUBster wrote: »
    Whilst I don't respect their reasoning, I respect that they have a right to decline their custom.

However they don't have that right - and that's how it should be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't care what the law says?

Ok.

But you're still wrong when you say 'their business, their rules'.

What is said and what is done, are two different things. As we have seen in this case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not from what I have seen regarding to people they don't like, not gays but just people they don't like.

You banned from many then? ;-)

A pub may ban people on certain grounds but what they can't do is discriminate. Do you think they should be able to . . i.e. their pub, their rules?
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So would it be ok to open a pub but ban black people ?

If your privately doing stuff as a favour then fair enough but when you are providing a service then you have a certain responsibility.

I suppose you would say if they had a job opportunity then it would be ok to reject a job application because they found out the person was gay.
  • Options
    VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However they don't have that right - and that's how it should be.

That gays must have what they want, because them not getting what they want is automatically classed as discrimination?
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member

Sorry, YOU ARE WRONG!

Live here? Follow the country's LAWS!

You know, that nice Tory party that brought in same sex marriage and so they are all for it and people should not be allowed (and are not) to discriminate against people based on sexuality.

And all from a bunch of people who can't back up a word of their nonsense.

Run a business? Follow the regulations or don't start one if you can't follow them. Shall we drop some health and safety regulations if for silly reasons some people don't want to?
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    I'm not saying it's acceptable. I'm saying why use their service and give them your money if they are against you. It's their loss IMO.

Edit: you also sound close to the view point of saying churches should have to marry gay people or face discriminatory charges.

I would be perfectly comfortable with that tbh :).

I don't think that religious belief confers the right to discriminate with impunity. A person's beliefs are their own affair but their actions should be subject to the same laws as every one else.