Anxiety Diagnosis

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    kaiserbee wrote: »
    I had a couple of panic attacks and palpitations at about 2am in the morning and scared me rigid so went to the doctors. She asks what symptoms you are feeling and if there are any reasons for feeling anxious. A lot of mine is down to losing my job. I started seeing things on my body that I have never noticed before, lumps, bumps and veins etc. and started thinking I had cancer, or was going to have a stroke. Its awful to be in a frame of mind where everything seems to lead to serious illness or death!!!
    Thank you all. :) Along with being worried that I won't get any help, I'm worried that I'll just be given pills. I think I would like CBT or some kind of therapy, along with medication if the therapist thinks it would help, rather than JUST pills.

I don't know what type I have! I worry about anything and everything.

Sometimes I have a general feeling of dread and stress pains/butterflies in my stomach, as if I have an interview coming up, but actually there is no interview or any particular situation causing the anxiety. I can rack my brain for hours and not come up with anything.

Other times I can be awake until 2/3am going over and over some trivial thing, like panicking that I haven't yet renewed my car tax and the current one expires in a week. Somehow when I wake up I realise how utterly unimportant it is, this kind of worrying seems to only occur at night.

Social situations do make me feel very anxious and I have been avoiding them for years. I hardly ever go out and I can't tolerate crowds. Social interactions are one of the main things I worry about, for example I have catch up meetings with my manager every two weeks and after each one I will obsess over everything that was said for days, worried that I gave the wrong impression and made myself look incompetent.

All the time I am aware that I don't have any major worries in my life and the world is not going to come crashing down even if my tax disc is overdue, or if I did say something silly in front of my manager. And yet I can't rid myself of a terrible worry.

I literally could have written almost every word of these two quotes. It's reassuring to know there are others with the same issues and worries(obviously I don't want anyone to suffer with such things, but you know what I mean).

OP, you are one step ahead of me because you've made an appointment with your GP. For various reasons, I'm really struggling to even get to that stage. I have decided to at least go and get a full physical(I have had a similar experience to kaiserbee's in the last few months in terms of what I have worried are physical symptoms of serious problems) to check everything is in good working order. I might take things from there with my anxiety. I find the whole thing so overwhelming and intimidating, though :(
    Please don't rely only on your GP. While drugs might be helpful in the short-term, they're not the sole answer and many GPs are a bit too quick to write prescriptions. Treatment varies from person to person, but please look at working on the underlying causes of your anxiety. Good luck!

This is a very interesting point, and is what I have been trying to do myself. In the past, I have got myself out of deep depressions and anxiety flare-ups pretty much by myself and without any medical assistance. I hate the side-effects of anti-depressants and find the whole mental health system to be extremely intimidating and with someone close to me who has been dealing with it for a decade, I don't have great deal of confidence in it. With that said, medical help really should be sought as soon as we are struggling with our mental health. (Yes, I am a hypocrite :( ).

I started reading The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris(look it up, it's about accepting a certain amount of anxiety and negative thought processes instead of labeling them and constantly fighting against them) recently, and was making some good progress. But then a couple of things happened that set me back so I abandoned it. I need to get back to it. Maybe if I can get a clearer mind, I'll be able to really implement the things it teaches.

OP, let us know how your appointment goes and the very best of luck :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had my appointment this evening. I was very nervous so I had trouble getting everything out that I wanted to say but he was very understanding. He has referred me for CBT but as the waiting list is long in this area he's also given me some anti-depressants to tide me over, since I'm really failing to cope at the moment - crying at work and all that. He re-assured me I can come off them when I start therapy.
    OP, you are one step ahead of me because you've made an appointment with your GP. For various reasons, I'm really struggling to even get to that stage. I have decided to at least go and get a full physical(I have had a similar experience to kaiserbee's in the last few months in terms of what I have worried are physical symptoms of serious problems) to check everything is in good working order. I might take things from there with my anxiety. I find the whole thing so overwhelming and intimidating, though :(

It has taken me years to make an appointment, I hope you manage to talk to your doctor too and find a sympathetic ear. I found it very hard to get the initial words out and practiced it all the way there in the car. I really started to panic in the waiting room and was very close to making up a physical problem that I could pretend I had made the appointment for, but in the end I just blurted it out. It got easier and easier as the conversation went on. Good luck with whatever course of action you choose :)
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    I had my appointment this evening. I was very nervous so I had trouble getting everything out that I wanted to say but he was very understanding. He has referred me for CBT but as the waiting list is long in this area he's also given me some anti-depressants to tide me over, since I'm really failing to cope at the moment - crying at work and all that. He re-assured me I can come off them when I start therapy.

It has taken me years to make an appointment, I hope you manage to talk to your doctor too and find a sympathetic ear. I found it very hard to get the initial words out and practiced it all the way there in the car. I really started to panic in the waiting room and was very close to making up a physical problem that I could pretend I had made the appointment for, but in the end I just blurted it out. It got easier and easier as the conversation went on. Good luck with whatever course of action you choose :)

I am sorry to hear that it's going to take a while for the therapy sessions to start but please persist with it and I hope that they proceed well. In the meantime, there are some self help resources here:

http://www.overcoming.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=4795
    http://www.overcoming.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=5082
    http://www.overcoming.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=5234

Good luck! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member

Great to hear :) Hopefully the anti-depressants will lift the clouds a bit so you can get a clearer mind. If you want a taste of CBT while you are waiting to be sent an appointment, something that has really helped me in the past is an audiobook called Optimism: The Art of Positive Thinking by Abe Klass.

I have been to the doctor twice in the last 9 years, so that makes it even more daunting for me. Like you say though, I need to just go and get it over with because waiting isn't helping me at all.
  • CoconutcreampieCoconutcreampie Posts: 175
    Forum Member

Anti-depressants have been shown to be no better than placebos but with terrible and even very dangerous side-effects. Research online very carefully the side-effects of anti-depressants. I think they should be banned and never should have been sold in the first place.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Anti-depressants have been shown to be no better than placebos but with terrible and even very dangerous side-effects. Research online very carefully the side-effects of anti-depressants. I think they should be banned and never should have been sold in the first place.

Please don't peddle that anti-medication espoo in a serious thread because very many people have actually benefited from taking antidepressants and have gone on to lead contented and successful lives.
  • CoconutcreampieCoconutcreampie Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Please don't peddle that anti-medication espoo in a serious thread because very many people have actually benefited from taking antidepressants and have gone on to lead contented and successful lives.

I'm against anti-depressants, not against all medication. That is my opinion and the opinion of many authorities on the subject. You are welcome to express your opinion, and you have, but trying to suppress information regarding medication, especially medication that can have very dangerous or lethal side-effects, does not help the person considering using such drugs. This person needs to be well informed and people like you make that very difficult. That's a very dangerous thing to do.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

There was a pretend American on here a while back who used to come out with that nonsense as well.

Anti-depressants can work for many people and it's silly for anyone to suggest they don't.
  • scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure exactly what you're asking but I was suggesting that rather than simply treating the symptoms, it might be a good idea to address the cause.

What if the cause is a chemical imbalance.

a 'valve' that functions incorrectly in the body.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    How are the people who have been posting in here managing to suppoet their selves finacially ?

I am asking for personal reasons for myself - dont want to go into details just yet just wondering
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ZeePhilPop wrote: »
    How are the people who have been posting in here managing to suppoet their selves finacially ?

Just like any other demographic I imagine. Some work (like the OP), some are unemployed but looking for work, some are on ESA because their anxiety is so bad they are unable to work, others may be supported by partners etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am asking for personal reasons for myself - dont want to go into details just yet just wondering

I work and actually do very well career-wise. I don't think any of my colleagues would guess that I have these problems... I think I even managed to pass off my crying-in-the-toilets as just a bad day. I usually hold myself together at work then come home and stress and worry all evening. The only way the anxiety really affects my work is that I shy away from giving presentations (though to be fair, that scared me before I had any mental health problems!) and I'm often tired because I can't sleep at night due to wiorrying.

The first question the doctor asked me was if I work, and then if I'm in a relationship. I guess that is one way they rank it, if you're unable to form a relationship or hold down a job I'm sure you'd go straight in the severe category.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got general anxiety disorder and health anxiety too (with bonus superfun panic attacks.) I've been on low-dose meds for years and it definitely helps - I tend to think of it more like a diabetic's insulin injections than anything else. I don't think there's anything wrong with being on them long-term if coming off them just means you relapse. CBT is good too, but you have to remember it's not the insta-cure that it's often assumed to be these days, it's an ongoing process. And different types of therapy suit different people, anyway - some people are better with talking therapy or schema therapy or any number of types.

There's a pretty good CBT Diary app (I think it's available for iphone too) that helps you keep track of things, to figure out patterns and so on.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm lucky enough to have a decent full-time job that I don't (usually) find stressful and where they've got pretty good mental health provisions.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member

I had really horrible side effects with one type - muscle jerks, passing out, really horrid
    but am on another type now and they are brilliant
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I work, working has never bothered me at all and I've never had any trouble holding down a job. I had school refusal though, hated going and would have done anything to get out of it.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scottl wrote: »
    What if the cause is a chemical imbalance.

a 'valve' that functions incorrectly in the body.

Sorry scottl, I just saw your reply now.

I do know what you mean, I always think of that as a "mechanical problem". I suppose those cases would have to be treated with medication, but I would hope there would be a thorough investigation before reaching that conclusion. I just think that some doctors are too quick to reach for the anti-depressants these days.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all. :) Along with being worried that I won't get any help, I'm worried that I'll just be given pills. I think I would like CBT or some kind of therapy, along with medication if the therapist thinks it would help, rather than JUST pills.

I don't know what type I have! I worry about anything and everything.

Sometimes I have a general feeling of dread and stress pains/butterflies in my stomach, as if I have an interview coming up, but actually there is no interview or any particular situation causing the anxiety. I can rack my brain for hours and not come up with anything.

Other times I can be awake until 2/3am going over and over some trivial thing, like panicking that I haven't yet renewed my car tax and the current one expires in a week. Somehow when I wake up I realise how utterly unimportant it is, this kind of worrying seems to only occur at night.

Social situations do make me feel very anxious and I have been avoiding them for years. I hardly ever go out and I can't tolerate crowds. Social interactions are one of the main things I worry about, for example I have catch up meetings with my manager every two weeks and after each one I will obsess over everything that was said for days, worried that I gave the wrong impression and made myself look incompetent.

All the time I am aware that I don't have any major worries in my life and the world is not going to come crashing down even if my tax disc is overdue, or if I did say something silly in front of my manager. And yet I can't rid myself of a terrible worry.

Sounds like you may have Generalised anxiety disorder. It's horrible and I sympathise, but it's very treatable with CBT and various meds. I hope you feel better soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    I work and actually do very well career-wise. I don't think any of my colleagues would guess that I have these problems... I think I even managed to pass off my crying-in-the-toilets as just a bad day. I usually hold myself together at work then come home and stress and worry all evening. The only way the anxiety really affects my work is that I shy away from giving presentations (though to be fair, that scared me before I had any mental health problems!) and I'm often tired because I can't sleep at night due to wiorrying.

The first question the doctor asked me was if I work, and then if I'm in a relationship. I guess that is one way they rank it, if you're unable to form a relationship or hold down a job I'm sure you'd go straight in the severe category.

i work also, and I hide it very well. I have hidden it for 11 years now. But it does get hard - my job I am in now doesnt cause too much stress its a call centre but mostly its a shopping line so people are happy because they are shopping and ordering goods. Recentley however we have had a change of manager and they are very strict and the team is starting to become annoyed/upset/angry towards him - and it brought out a panic attack in me the other day and a few members seen how I was - its all been played down since - but I do struggle loads.

Its so hard sometimes.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i work also, and I hide it very well. I have hidden it for 11 years now. But it does get hard - my job I am in now doesnt cause too much stress its a call centre but mostly its a shopping line so people are happy because they are shopping and ordering goods. Recentley however we have had a change of manager and they are very strict and the team is starting to become annoyed/upset/angry towards him - and it brought out a panic attack in me the other day and a few members seen how I was - its all been played down since - but I do struggle loads.

Its so hard sometimes

Isn't it just, I thought my panic attacks were subsiding but they are back with a bang. I run a company and very few people know I have them , I hate them it makes me so bloody miserable when I have them. rcently has been a time of stress and I think thats what borught them back to the surface ( still not 100% sure what started them originally ) but the sweats, the cold feeling inside, the throwing your shopping through a checkout like the Amercians leaving Saigon sounds amusing at times but it just isn't , the cold real feeling of fear and the feeling you are going to drop dead of a heart attack any second is just deblitating

Today I had to give interviews to several media outlets and it wasn't that I was nervous about but they came back in the middle and I just wanted to curl up and hide and now I am going out and I have again given an excuse to arrive late so I can make sure I have a couple of drinks before I arrive so that I can feel calmer and arrive with the usual jokes and smile.

I really do just wish I could get rid of them
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally sympathize with you OP, anxiety is awful, I have suffered from it for nearly 5 years now.

I hope I'm not hijacking your thread but I'd like to ask a question to others with some experience, I have been to my GP twice in the past two years regarding my anxiety and each time been referred to CBT which hasn't worked for me unfortunately (the second time there was a 6 month long wait too which was not good). I am thinking about going back a third time but what if this happens again? I.e. "just try CBT". I don't like to be negative but I really do think my anxiety is beyond repair in terms of CBT/talking/behavioral techniques.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    JumpTheShark: My only suggestion is write down some examples of when you feel anxious, what you were doing at the time, anything that was on your mind etc and how you felt and take that with you. This way if the doctor asks you to describe how you feel, if your mind goes blank, you can refer to what you've written down so at least you don't walk out of the surgery thinking "Oh bloody hell why didn't I mention this.. or that.."

Sound advice. Who knows what the doctor may ask .......they allhave different ways of operating. Just be prepared with stuff written down as a prompt and answer honestly. Be yourself and try to explain exactly why you've sought his/her help.

And .......try not to worry too much.
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anxiety is such an awful illness. I've suffered with it for the past 6 years or so - it varies in severity, at the moment I'm in quite a good place the last time I had a particularly bad patch was around July.
    I've had anti-depressants in the past but not for quite a while now. Beta Blockers help when my anxiety becomes overwhelming, I've had CBT and I have a very supportive network of family and friends.
    The best advice I can give is to read as much as you can about anxiety and take all the help you are offered. It might never go away but you can learn to manage it.