Options

Intrudors

Comments

• Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminded me of Fallen, that Denzel Washington film. I liked that....this notsomuch.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    It's intriguing enough to keep me watching for now. However, why on Earth cast John Simm to play an American? His accent is laughable, :

No it's not. You think the Yanks would've a) cast him in the first place and b) shot the whole series with him doing a bad accent? Obviously not.
  • Options
    Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christ, you lot are hard to please aren't you?
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't quite work out why in the opening scene, the young girl was so frightened of the cheap gold painted plastic 45rpm record adapter held by one of the intruders (they are used to convert "wide holed" USA records so they can be played on UK record turntables, which take records with small holes). I've got a whole box of them and they do nothing for me.
    But perhaps, she being born in the iPod era, hadn't a clue what it was. I don't think she'll be on her own.

That's as far as I got and didn't bother to watch any further.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Struggled through the first episode and couldn't take no more. All it made me wish for is for The Fall to hurry up and return!
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't even know John Simm was supposed to be playing an American, but I suppose he must have been being ex FBI.
    I haven't a clue what was going on, and it didn't really grab my attention enough to make me determined to find out. Pity, because I usually like this supernatural/sci-fi type of stuff, but this just didn't do it for me. I don't know what they spent, but it all seemed a bit low-budget to me. For that to work, it needs to be strongly character led, this wasn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    No it's not. You think the Yanks would've a) cast him in the first place and b) shot the whole series with him doing a bad accent? Obviously not.

It's made mostly be BBC America. I think you'll find the inclusion of Simms is to keep the UK happy; it failed!
    If you want to hear a British person do an American accent properly, listen to Jason Isaacs in the in the regrettably cancelled TV show 'Awake'
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    AllKath wrote: »
    It's made mostly be BBC America. I think you'll find the inclusion of Simms is to keep the UK happy; it failed!
    If you want to hear a British person do an American accent properly, listen to Jason Isaacs in the in the regrettably cancelled TV show 'Awake'

You would also go some to beat Damien Lewis's accent in Homeland,
    Regarding Intruders, as much as I like John Simm I am not going to be watching next week, the storyline is just too weird and disjointed.
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite intriguing, I'll be sticking around, wouldn't be surprised to see a hefty drop-off between the 2 episodes though, as dramas where you don't really know what's happening / going to to happen before the opening credits have finished rolling don't seem to have the quite audience retention of days gone by. Liked the location settings.

Not totally convinced with the casting of John Simm, but James Frain was quite splendid as always, I did not find myself noticing his accent as much as Simm's for some reason :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liked the location settings.

Vancouver and the Pacific Northwest. The most filmed locations on Earth.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes it is! Not only is it unlike any real US accent I've heard, it varies from scene to scene - sometimes it's a really strong twang (rather like schoolboys do an American cowboy accent), in others you can tell he's English a mile off. It's poor.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the programme with James Frain in it? He was Thomas Cromwell in The Tudors.
  • Options
    MybelleMybelle Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Struggled through the first episode and couldn't take no more. All it made me wish for is for The Fall to hurry up and return!

I agree. Far superior acting in The Fall and not forgetting Jamie Dornan being easier on the eye than John Simm (sorry, that's very shallow).:D
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't take John Simms accent seriously
    Straker wrote: »
    I have no idea what is going on in this.
    spookyLX wrote: »
    I gave up after half an hour
    filmfan7 wrote: »
    John Simms acting talents are wasted in this rubbish !

My viewing talents gave up on me.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't quite work out why in the opening scene, the young girl was so frightened of the cheap gold painted plastic 45rpm record adapter held by one of the intruders (they are used to convert "wide holed" USA records so they can be played on UK record turntables, which take records with small holes). I've got a whole box of them and they do nothing for me.
    But perhaps, she being born in the iPod era, hadn't a clue what it was. I don't think she'll be on her own.

That's as far as I got and didn't bother to watch any further.

Yes, I noticed that too. I suppose you have to be of a certain age.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Yes, I noticed that too. I suppose you have to be of a certain age.

Perhaps she thought they were threatening to play a Culture Club record "at her?"
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Mybelle wrote: »
    I agree. Far superior acting in The Fall and not forgetting Jamie Dornan being easier on the eye than John Simm (sorry, that's very shallow).:D

Shallow but true! ;-)

I found it disjointed too. They didn't linger on one scene for more than a minute or so before cutting to somewhere else in a completely different place and with completely different characters.

I only watched the first episode live but will watch the second that I've recorded and I'll see how I feel after that.
  • Options
    DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't a clue what was going on, and it didn't really grab my attention enough to make me determined to find out. Pity, because I usually like this supernatural/sci-fi type of stuff, but this just didn't do it for me. I don't know what they spent, but it all seemed a bit low-budget to me. For that to work, it needs to be strongly character led, this wasn't.

Same here on both counts. I am usually happy to see how things warm up and give a new series a chance, but this just didn't grab me. Too disjointed and no engaging characters.

Annoyingly I watched it in real time as I was already on BBC2 from University Challenge and Only Connect, so when the trail came on I thought "okay, sounds interesting, I'll give it a go" and forgot about Gotham. I'll have to catch up with the latter on demand - I won't be making the same mistake next week.
  • Options
    prehensileprehensile Posts: 5,098
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it mostly, and will be back for more. Didn't really notice Simm's accent at all which I suppose means that (to my ears anyway) it must have been ok, or at least not horribly wrong.

I thought Millie Brown as Madison/Marcus was the star of the first 2 episodes. Fantastic acting from one so young. Also enjoyed James Frain as Shepherd - still not sure if he is a baddie or a goodie though :)
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prehensile wrote: »
    I enjoyed it mostly, and will be back for more. Didn't really notice Simm's accent at all which I suppose means that (to my ears anyway) it must have been ok, or at least not horribly wrong.

I thought Millie Brown as Madison/Marcus was the star of the first 2 episodes. Fantastic acting from one so young. Also enjoyed James Frain as Shepherd - still not sure if he is a baddie or a goodie though :)

Yes, as always I have to give any character played by James Frain the benefit of the doubt for the time being! :)
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christ, you lot are hard to please aren't you?
    Nope: dead easy.
    All it needs is a fairly interesting and moderately engaging script. Mix in some actors who have been half-decently directed and an production team that knows even the first, most basic things about making a TV series: such as getting the lighting so the audience can actually SEE what's going on (remembering that 99% will be watching in a well-lit room), or that people start off wanting to know what the hell is going on and that if you're going to take peoples' time you owe it to them to set out your stall early with a clear idea of what they're going to see.

As it was, the first 5 minutes up to the introductory titles told us nothing about the programme, was poorly lit and had the cheesy acting (supposedly the girl was in a trance?) you'd expect from an old horror movie. It didn't get much better after that, either.

I've lost patience with this kind of self-indulgent "just bear with us, we're trying to set the scene" programming. There are many alternative ways to entertain oneself apart from watching TV and if this is the standard of the programme, then I can easily switch off and find something more fulfilling to do.
  • Options
    filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AllKath wrote: »

or Soraoise Ronans american accent in The Lovely Bones film is Excellent !.. .why cant John use his english accent in this drama ?!
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    This was great! Obviously too complex for most people here!
  • Options
    steviexsteviex Posts: 132,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    I gave up after half an hour

I gave up after 10 minutes!! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parker45 wrote: »
    This was great! Obviously too complex for most people here!

What does it say about you that you cannot express your liking for this without maligning other posters? Hmmmmmm.........?