Doctors Discussion Thread (Part 6)

Comments

• StykerStyker Posts: 49,793
    Forum Member
    I liked Valerie but didn't see (and therefore know the reasons for) her exit. I'm assuming she had a breakdown of sorts.

A good episode today. Zara looks even more good-looking in her scenes at home. I think it's because she's wearing less make-up. I know Mrs Tembe had just had bad news but I don't think her rant at her colleagues was warranted. Howard's the subject of mild teasing but I do think he is liked by the staff. I wouldn't mind working for him anyway.

She's always come in as a temp though one of the executive producers hinted that he'd like her to be in the programme for longer but the actress isn't available. She does theatre work as well I think.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Valerie but didn't see (and therefore know the reasons for) her exit. I'm assuming she had a breakdown of sorts.

A good episode today. Zara looks even more good-looking in her scenes at home. I think it's because she's wearing less make-up. I know Mrs Tembe had just had bad news but I don't think her rant at her colleagues was warranted. Howard's the subject of mild teasing but I do think he is liked by the staff. I wouldn't mind working for him anyway.

bib: Agreed.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    While I was glad that goon security guard got his just desserts at the end of todays episode, they didn't show how Karen convinced the Police that he stiched her up and I'm not impressed with that.

They should and she should have demanded that all CCTV footage of his interactions with her were viewed before they took her to the Police station instead of taking him as his word.

The manager did briefly explain that the make-up was from a range that wasn't on the shelves yet and I assume Karen's confrontation with her outside the supermarket was what convinced the manager to look into the alleged theft further. Why the police didn't even consider the idea that Karen could have sneaked into the stockroom and took the make-up, I don't know.

However, like you, I was expecting the CCTV footage to play a key role in proving Karen's innocence. I thought a different angle would show the security guard slipping the make-up into Karen's coat.
    Forum Member
    bib: Agreed.

That was one go by Mrs Tembe I agreed with. Who does this Frank bloke thinks he is anyway? Turns up as a locum and goes round undermining people at every opportunity. Good on Mrs Tembe for having a go at them and Howard should get a permament replacement for Kevin and the one nurse they are down on. Howard should do this with or without all of the parnters being there.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    Probably as a result of lots of rehearsals and being thrown into the acting world from when they were babies.

Doctors, I doubt has much time for rehearsals. I've heard over the years that Eastenders stopped rehearsals ages ago as they don't have the time for them. Doctors has one more episode a week than EE so they'd do well if they are able to rehearse their scenes.

If they don't do rehearsals, then the acting on the whole from all of them is pretty good. Some could be a bit sharper every now and then though.
    The EastEnders cast rehearse and they get their lines a few weeks in advance even with secrets and LIVE episodes they get their lines with blanked out bits Despite EastEnders only being on 4 times a week It has more screen time than all the rest due to no adverts. Doctors takes regular breaks and at Xmas/New Year EastEnders is on more. Last time i checked EastEnders had the smallest cast of the 4 Soaps.
  • Bobby'sgirlBobby'sgirl Posts: 7,380
    Forum Member
    The manager did briefly explain that the make-up was from a range that wasn't on the shelves yet and I assume Karen's confrontation with her outside the supermarket was what convinced the manager to look into the alleged theft further. Why the police didn't even consider the idea that Karen could have sneaked into the stockroom and took the make-up, I don't know.

However, like you, I was expecting the CCTV footage to play a key role in proving Karen's innocence. I thought a different angle would show the security guard slipping the make-up into Karen's coat.

I also thought the female PC was a little bit of a bitch towards Karen and certainly looked down her nose at Sgt Hollins. I'm surprised Karen didn't go mad at that one. Even her reply to Karen at the end was out of order. We need to see Rob's reaction to that.
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    The EastEnders cast rehearse and they get their lines a few weeks in advance even with secrets and LIVE episodes they get their lines with blanked out bits Despite EastEnders only being on 4 times a week It has more screen time than all the rest due to no adverts. Doctors takes regular breaks and at Xmas/New Year EastEnders is on more. Last time i checked EastEnders had the smallest cast of the 4 Soaps.

After some of the scenes I'm watching tonight, you could have fooled me! :D

Seriously, when did they start rehearsing again then?
    Forum Member
    I actually never thought I would say this but I love Howard.

On what basis?

I think he should make laughing boy Frank fill in for Mrs Tembe or ask this Gary Lucas if he wants to do it! :D
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    That was one go by Mrs Tembe I agreed with. Who does this Frank bloke thinks he is anyway? Turns up as a locum and goes round undermining people at every opportunity.

It doesn't seem very realistic to me that a temp is treated by everyone as if they are a friend and long-term member of staff. I worked as a temp for years and even though people were friendly it was never like it is on Doctors.
    I also thought the female PC was a little bit of a bitch towards Karen and certainly looked down her nose at Sgt Hollins. I'm surprised Karen didn't go mad at that one. Even her reply to Karen at the end was out of order. We need to see Rob's reaction to that.

She was a bitch. She works at the police station, so how can she not know Rob? Also I thought that the police didn't bother investigating shoplifting these days.
    I actually never thought I would say this but I love Howard.

I've always liked him.
    While I was glad that goon security guard got his just desserts at the end of todays episode, they didn't show how Karen convinced the Police that he stiched her up and I'm not impressed with that.

I think it all stemmed from the fact that the assistant manager realised that her boyfriend was lying and didn't want to be prosecuted with him so she must have called the police a bit later.
    Forum Member
    seejay63 wrote: »
    It doesn't seem very realistic to me that a temp is treated by everyone as if they are a friend and long-term member of staff. I worked as a temp for years and even though people were friendly it was never like it is on Doctors.

She was a bitch. She works at the police station, so how can she not know Rob? Also I thought that the police didn't bother investigating shoplifting these days.

I've always liked him.

I think it all stemmed from the fact that the assistant manager realised that her boyfriend was lying and didn't want to be prosecuted with him so she must have called the police a bit later.

It must have been on that basis.

On Howard, I saw a clip of Ian Kelsey in Casulty and it was obvious he was a lot younger then but he had the same hair style but the brushed up part of his hair was a lot shorter. He looked better with the brushed up part of his hair being shorter and he should have his hair cut down back to that way.
  • Mrs Lah-di-DahMrs Lah-di-Dah Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Apologies if someone's already discussed this (I'm only able to dip in occasionally I'm afraid), but why are the actors playing Daniel and Zara away - 'in Australia' - for so long? Are they in Panto? If so, where? Thanks in advance for info.
    Forum Member
    Apologies if someone's already discussed this (I'm only able to dip in occasionally I'm afraid), but why are the actors playing Daniel and Zara away - 'in Australia' - for so long? Are they in Panto? If so, where? Thanks in advance for info.

Probably taking a break as actors, so have it written in that they are going on holiday in the programme. Though a lot of the time when the characters go on holiday, they are back within a few days!
  • Mrs Lah-di-DahMrs Lah-di-Dah Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Yes, makes sense. Thanks for that, but can't help thinking Zara would have been brilliant as the glamorous wicked queen in Snow White!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    ^ The characters are going on holiday because the actress who plays Zara is going to be directing a handful of episodes and I guess it was easier to write Daniel out for a couple of weeks too rather than think of a reason for Zara to go off somewhere on her own.

They'll both be back on 12th December.
    Forum Member
    indie.star wrote: »
    ^ The characters are going on holiday because the actress who plays Zara is going to be directing a handful of episodes and I guess it was easier to write Daniel out for a couple of weeks too rather than think of a reason for Zara to go off somewhere on her own.

They'll both be back on 12th December.

I'm not so sure I like it when the cast start doing the directing as well. What I can't tell is, is it a case of the cast being the tail that wags the dog or is it the programme honouring polite requests for cast members to do some directing as the actors want to test themselves out and think they will be good at it?

If its the former then I don't think its good for the cast to have that much power. I think programmes or anything start going downhill when the "workers" start calling the shots over those in charge.

Zara/EDW will be the 4th person out of the current cast to do directing now and looking back, they are average episodes on the whole and you can almost tell they are different types of episodes too when the cast direct.

Chris Walker directed the episodes when Curtis the burglar came back to haunt Heston recently and they weren't bad though.
    Forum Member
    Yes, makes sense. Thanks for that, but can't help thinking Zara would have been brilliant as the glamorous wicked queen in Snow White!

She would wouldn't she? :D Especially if she was dressed in the same way as Angelina Jolie was in Maleficent (AJ looked quite like Zara in that film).
    I'm not so sure I like it when the cast start doing the directing as well. What I can't tell is, is it a case of the cast being the tail that wags the dog or is it the programme honouring polite requests for cast members to do some directing as the actors want to test themselves out and think they will be good at it?

A lot of actors like to move into directing, and I suppose this is one way of them learning the job, especially as they already know the actors/characters/how the show works.

Some then move into directing permanently. I believe Sue Tully who used to be in Eastenders now works only as a director (she directs Call the Midwife amongst other things).
    Forum Member
    seejay63 wrote: »
    She would wouldn't she? :D Especially if she was dressed in the same way as Angelina Jolie was in Maleficent (AJ looked quite like Zara in that film).

A lot of actors like to move into directing, and I suppose this is one way of them learning the job, especially as they already know the actors/characters/how the show works.

Some then move into directing permanently. I believe Sue Tully who used to be in Eastenders now works only as a director (she directs Call the Midwife amongst other things).

I think she is now doing directing only.

I generally think the cast/actors should leave the directing to actual trained, experienced directors though. The only consideration I would give towards the cast doing some directing is that Doctors does have loads of different directors and maybe the cast see flaws being made that they know they wouldn't make themselves if they were directing.

The reason why there is probably so many different directors though is because of the amount of episodes they film and they probably have more than one episode being filmed perhaps with different cast members doing different scenes for different episodes. Or does anyone know that they only ever do scenes for one episode at a time?
    Forum Member
    Quite a good episode today. I thought they were completely over doing with it to how "trying" they think Valerie is. They all gosss and talk to each other a lot, esp at that annoying coffee/tea stand shot that they do all the time. That camera shot has been getting on my nerves recently, its done too many times in general and often 2 or 3 times in a episode.

I hope we don't see Ashely re-appearing though, what an idiot he is.

Talking of idiots, Bren! Ayesha should move out permanently. There is no way she'll be able to get through to her or help her while she has a job and look after her little sister. If her mum wants to get rid of her stupid self inflicted drink problem, she'll have to do most of it herself with the help of outside professionals.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    (Thursday to Monday recap)

Is Zara heading for a break down? She seemed to be losing it when she couldn't find the Passports

Aw a Mrs Tembe...She doesn't ask for much and just gets in with it. I am glad Howard gave her time off to see her Brother after his Heart attack. Nice Little Scene

The Security Guard that had Karen arrested was FIT! I wouldn't kick him out of bed. Mind you I don't think i'd wanna leave a anyway :D

That Guy in Mondays episode that swung the Baseball Bat at his dead was very sexy.....3 some? :blush:

Oh god she is back! I hope Valerie isn't sticking around.
  • auntiemauntiem Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    (Thursday to Monday recap)

Is Zara heading for a break down? She seemed to be losing it when she couldn't find the Passports

Aw a Mrs Tembe...She doesn't ask for much and just gets in with it. I am glad Howard gave her time off to see her Brother after his Heart attack. Nice Little Scene

The Security Guard that had Karen arrested was FIT! I wouldn't kick him out of bed. Mind you I don't think i'd wanna leave a anyway :D

That Guy in Mondays episode that swung the Baseball Bat at his dead was very sexy.....3 some? :blush:

Oh god she is back! I hope Valerie isn't sticking around.

You can have him and I'll take Barry. So good to see Barry back.
  • KiraaaKiraaa Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    Wow it's been a long time since I last posted due to college/work/auditions So much has happened on screen since I last posted.

My opinion of of Doctors from about late September it has been brilliant I think it's picked as the summer was okay but nothing special. I'm just going to comment on characters.

Mandy I'm bloody glad she's gone judgemental, rude, moaning woman. That's all she's did and I don't think I ever liked her. We never knew anything about her home life other that she was lesbian and that she was a nurse. And that she loved Freya.

Moving on to Kevin, I'm gutted he went, I loved him. I also think that the actor improved leaps and bounds from when he first started. I was upset that he had to leave, I loved his relationship with Heston but I am glad that he got a happy ending (kind of). I loved his last episode with the old voices and the racing it's was brilliant. I did want to slap Poppy and her mother, bloody annoying people.

Heston I am so glad he is staying, love him and I think his depression story, although slow has been good, I'm sad that there won't be that Kevin/Heston friendship as I thought it was brilliant. I do hope they build on his and Emma's as they were both really funny as restaurant critics last year.

Now onto Emma, I love Emma. I know I'm one of the only ones that do. Yes she a drama queen who overreacts a lot of the time, I do think they over did it with the partnership interviews. It did seem it was done just so Zara could get one over on Emma. I do think Emma needs something as the actress is more than capable.

Nimah. I can't make my mind up about her. I do think that she is hiding something though and that she's not who she says she is, I think it's been sutaly put in for while now.

Finally Ayesha. Didn't like her at first but I'm starting to like her, she's a bit in your face but then so was Zara/Mrs.T and she will calm down eventually.

Styker - I don't see a problem with actors directing it's no different from directors acting as James Larkin did.

Also sorry for the long post, I don't have anyone to talk about to Doctors as no one I know watches it so I just wanted to get it all of my chest.
    Forum Member
    ^

James Larkin acting as Harrison was a rare one off and he was pretty good and the storyline was really good. My only dissapointment was that they used the gorgeous actress that played Lauren for such a bitchy character and that she was only in it for a short while. There is not enough proper female eye candy in Doctors but Lauren sure was one!
    Forum Member
    Kiraaa wrote: »
    Wow it's been a long time since I last posted due to college/work/auditions

BIB - this word leapt out at me. Are you an actress? If so you might end up on Doctors one day! :D
    Forum Member
    Barry's interested in Valerie? She was offering herself on a plate to him in a previous stint and he walked out disgusted! Silly boy Barry, he could have accepted her but taken things slowly but I suppose in that situation it was a case of " I want it and want it now" and he wasn't prepared to go there. Now that idiot Ashely is with her though so Barry has lost out, got himself to blame on the whole I think.
    Forum Member
    Barry's interested in Valerie? She was offering herself on a plate to him in a previous stint and he walked out disgusted! Silly boy Barry, he could have accepted her but taken things slowly but I suppose in that situation it was a case of " I want it and want it now" and he wasn't prepared to go there. Now that idiot Ashely is with her though so Barry has lost out, got himself to blame on the whole I think.

Would Barry even notice if a woman was throwing herself at him? I doubt he'd get the right signals even if she was naked :D Some people don't notice flirting. I'm the same. Someone once said to me "you wouldn't notice if a man made a pass at you would you?" and I said "no". I don't even know what a "pass" is :confused:

Re today's story - a good reminder for people to make sure their gas appliances are regularly checked and to have a CO detector installed if necessary.

Also re today's story, I thought that policeman was quite fanciable, but felt the same as Emma when he revealed he'd "put the word out" about that man.
This discussion has been closed.