Options

Iron Man Cut on Film4

mattybmattyb Posts: 1,185
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Unusual edit on Film4, the scene where Tony Stark's jeep is ambushed before he's kidnapped was completely removed. Not watched it on 4 before, so is this a new edit?

Comments

• Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mattyb wrote: »
    Unusual edit on Film4, the scene where Tony Stark's jeep is ambushed before he's kidnapped was completely removed. Not watched it on 4 before, so is this a new edit?
    yes ive seen this before (whilst watching in hospital, so was not sure if it was the drugs) but it is actually a quite important moment in the movie, not because of the kidnap, but because he sees the Stark Tech branded bomb being used by the other side.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tweeted Film4 and they seem oblivious the film is cut. It is a good couple of minutes missing, and unusual piece to edit, as you say its a important scene in the plot. Very odd.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    It might be that there's a heavily masked but audible use of the f word in that scene. It's very hard to hear if you aren't wearing headphones, but one of the soldiers with him yells the expletive when the car gets hit. I'm guessing there's no way of cutting just that one word, without removing the entire explosion.

I'm wondering, with it being a film that appeals to kids airing close to the watershed during the school holidays, whether Film4 decided to take no chances and cut it anyway, even though they probably could get away it...
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Tomorrow never dies on itv2 was cut to bits in the version shown tonight. Even baddies just being punched had noticeable cuts, and Bond using a knife to cut his own jacket off to get free from the villain.

Very silly
  • Options
    MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did you miss a couple of minutes at the start because it was there at the start of the movie before it jumps back to 36 hours earlier in Las Vegas. I recorded it, just checked and it definitely showed the soldiers being killed and vehicles destroyed.
  • Options
    gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny thing is compaired to ITV et all when i used to have RTE and watched the odd film on there
    i'd see bits i couldn't remember before usually really violent so obviously here in the UK Movies
    when being shown on TV are being Cut to bits hence why i couldn't mind seeing certain scenes

I always assumed the South of Ireleand to be a more conservative and religious country than we are
    but it seems when it comes to TV movies there certainly less restrictive i wonder though for all the
    censorship are we better for it?? seems if the idea was to protect us from acting out violence etc etc
    it hasn't worked just take a stroll down your high street on weekend night and you'll see plenty
    of violence and that cant be cut :D
  • Options
    supertalksupertalk Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again why in the world would a normal thinking person watch a film on tv with strange editing and ad breaks?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    supertalk wrote: »
    Again why in the world would a normal thinking person watch a film on tv with strange editing and ad breaks?

Film4 generally air stuff uncut. And fastfowarding ads doesn't annoy me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you miss a couple of minutes at the start because it was there at the start of the movie before it jumps back to 36 hours earlier in Las Vegas. I recorded it, just checked and it definitely showed the soldiers being killed and vehicles destroyed.

You're right my bad, I was watching it on delayed playback and it was the PVR to blame, fault on the drive as I recorded it on +1 and it was there. Did think it was odd for Film4 to cut films after the watershed. PVR now standing in the corner thinking about what's its done. :)
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,929
    Forum Member
    Not to do with Iron Man, but in general I actually find Channel4 is better than Film4 for seeing films uncut (in the evenings).

I've often compared films before and seen various snips on Film4 - I wonder if it's because it's a channel that they sell to various providers? Perhaps they're a little more inclined to snip from time to time.

A good example of this is a film called The Dreamers. Certain explicit nude shots are clipped on the Film4 version but left alone in the Channel4 version.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the Radio Times both Men in Black 3 and Salmon Fishing in the Yemen showing tonight have been edited. Unfortunately Christmas usually means films being shown in too early slots and being cut as a result.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do other European countries cut films for sex and violence on TV like we do?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some, but not many. Denmark certainly don't. I get DR and I've watched Beverly Hills Cop 2, Attack The Block and Iron Sky uncut at lunchtime. Plus DR3 show a double helping of Family Guy from 6.15 uncut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    roger_50 wrote: »
    Not to do with Iron Man, but in general I actually find Channel4 is better than Film4 for seeing films uncut (in the evenings).

I've often compared films before and seen various snips on Film4 - I wonder if it's because it's a channel that they sell to various providers? Perhaps they're a little more inclined to snip from time to time.

A good example of this is a film called The Dreamers. Certain explicit nude shots are clipped on the Film4 version but left alone in the Channel4 version.

I have spotted differences, Kick-Ass plays uncut on both C4 and Film4, but when it played at 10.15pm on C4 there was one warning at the beginning of the film, however a recent 9pm screening on Film4 had warning at the beginning of the film and after every ad break. I'm wondering if that was just a timeslot thing though...
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its quite pathetic the way companies show hacked copies - again ITV4 screening Licence to Kill without the splatter at 9 PM, okay they only want to have one copy which can be shown at any hour it being Bond but why not have both? Is that that hard to manage?
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some, but not many. Denmark certainly don't. I get DR and I've watched Beverly Hills Cop 2, Attack The Block and Iron Sky uncut at lunchtime. Plus DR3 show a double helping of Family Guy from 6.15 uncut.

And is Denmark a more violent country than us? Silly question, I know. There is no evidence between violence in society and what is shown on TV and films
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member

Given I spent much of the year in Denmark and Sweden for work I can confirm neither cut.

It's great to see shows without the daytime TV edits we get in the UK. When living there full time a few years ago I remember both The Bill and Heartbeat (early post watershed series) being screened uncut in both their daytime and evening broadcasts as both were on daily.

I still think the most amazing was TV2Films which is probably closest to Film4 in the UK a basic cable channel showing Pulp Fiction uncut on a Saturday lunchtime :) something the UK would never allow outside pin encoded Sky premium movie channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    malcy30 wrote: »
    I still think the most amazing was TV2Films which is probably closest to Film4 in the UK a basic cable channel showing Pulp Fiction uncut on a Saturday lunchtime :) something the UK would never allow outside pin encoded Sky premium movie channels.

I think the BBC have given up on showing Pulp Fiction after they got in trouble for showing it at 9.10PM during a Great Movies season. Ofcom really need to grow up and stop censoring stuff post-watershed...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OFCOM really needs a shake up, and the UK watershed reviewing. In all honesty, it was the government's idea to tell us what we can watch and at what time, and this system is defunct now especially with on-demand. Apparently more people are watching OD than live TV. You've now got Netflix, Amazon, iPlayer amongst others, allowing the viewer to watch any rated material, anytime of the day.
    One of the purposes of the watershed was to protect children seeing programming that they shouldn't be watching. Isn't that the responsibility of that child's parent? Besides, who are the terrestrial networks protecting from cutting bad language out of PG rated films? School kids have been swearing for decades and removing it out of programming isn't going to change that. In fact, swearing is pretty much the norm just as it was a hundred years ago.
    This digital generation don't care anymore whether or not swearing is broadcast during the day. So why continue to do it? For those who are easily offended, don't watch it!
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently more people are watching OD than live TV. You've now got Netflix, Amazon, iPlayer amongst others, allowing the viewer to watch any rated material, anytime of the day.
    !

Source?
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how much do we think ITV will cut from Skyfall then??
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    So how much do we think ITV will cut from Skyfall then??

Probably most of the fall, pictures of the Sky they may leave uncut unless it features a black cloud that could possibly frighten the children, then it would have to be cut.;-)
  • Options
    PatrickBateman1PatrickBateman1 Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gamez-fan wrote: »
    I always assumed the South of Ireleand to be a more conservative and religious country than we are
    but it seems when it comes to TV movies there certainly less restrictive

Irish tv is a breath of fresh air compared to the UK when censorship is concerned. Watching a show on Channel 4 like The Simpsons I wonder why they bother. RTE always air it uncut. I also recall Beverly Hills Cop being shown on a Saturday tea team in all its glory.

I try not to watch any movies on FTA UK television because they will be edited in one way or another.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Irish tv is a breath of fresh air compared to the UK when censorship is concerned. Watching a show on Channel 4 like The Simpsons I wonder why they bother. RTE always air it uncut. I also recall Beverly Hills Cop being shown on a Saturday tea team in all its glory.

I try not to watch any movies on FTA UK television because they will be edited in one way or another.

Outside of daytime, it's not generally that bad. People over exaggerate a lot...
  • Options
    PatrickBateman1PatrickBateman1 Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Outside of daytime, it's not generally that bad. People over exaggerate a lot...

The following quotes from this thread would suggest that it is pretty bad regardless of the time of day.
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Tomorrow never dies on itv2 was cut to bits in the version shown tonight. Even baddies just being punched had noticeable cuts, and Bond using a knife to cut his own jacket off to get free from the villain.

Very silly
    dodrade wrote: »
    According to the Radio Times both Men in Black 3 and Salmon Fishing in the Yemen showing tonight have been edited. Unfortunately Christmas usually means films being shown in too early slots and being cut as a result.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Its quite pathetic the way companies show hacked copies - again ITV4 screening Licence to Kill without the splatter at 9 PM, okay they only want to have one copy which can be shown at any hour it being Bond but why not have both? Is that that hard to manage?