Bin Collection ... its getting insane !

xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
Forum Member
The politically correct local authorities are slowly turning the
British population into mass rubbish sorters.....

sort out the bottles... sort out the tins.... sort out the paper
sort out the plastic ... sort out the food waste ....

its getting gross.

I think of those huge rubbish tips in Brazil where whole armies of the poor
spend their lives rooting thru the rubbish... sorting out the tins... sorting out
the clothing.... etc

We re being forced to do the same in reverse

Comments

• Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Better we do it when the rubbish is fresh rather than someone who is paid a pittance rummaging through mouldy waste.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only that bothers me is the bin men spreading the rubbish up and down the street when collecting it, I do not understand how or why it is happening but pre wheelie bin with torn bin bags there wasn't even half the mess.

It has become a problem as we do not see street sweepers anymore and the street looks like a tip and it makes it look like the residents are making this mess.
  • sleepasleepa Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10 minutes civic duty a week, not much of a hardship really. Might even keep your council tax down.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    "Sorting out" the rubbish? What do you do? Mix it all together and then root through it? :confused:

How hard is it to put one lot of stuff in one bin, and another lot of stuff in a different bin? Do people's brains get addled if they're confronted by more than one bin?

"Oh no! Which one do I open? How am I supposed to tell them apart?"
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Sorting out" the rubbish? What do you do? Mix it all together and then root through it? :confused:

How hard is it to put one lot of stuff in one bin, and another lot of stuff in a different bin? Do people's brains get addled if they're confronted by more than one bin?

Yeah we have indoor bins for recycled, food and waste, Also a red bag for cardboard. We manage not to have to sort through as we do not mix it.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such incredible hardship the OP is having to suffer every week. Life must be just like that of someone living in a Rio favela.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh noes - what do I do with the cardboard packaging? Where do I put the leftover food? Is glass recyclable?

Please, won't someone think of the children!!!!!!!!!!!!111!11!!!!!!!!!
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    xxtimbo wrote: »

its getting gross.

spend their lives rooting thru the rubbish... sorting out the tins... sorting out
    the clothing.... etc

No, EU rulings to save filling the lands with rubbish that can be recycled.

Btw do you also do the Lambada while sorting it out?
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Gotta say, it does bug me when manufacturers STILL insist on producing packaging which is, say, a cardboard box but it's got a cellophane panel in the front.

If you're determined to be a good little womble it means you've got to pull the box to bits so you can put the cardboard in the paper bin and put the cellophane panel in the plastic bin.

Isn't it about time manufacturers got with the recycling program and stopped making awkward bits of packaging?
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just dump everything in the one greeny grey wheely bin and stick it at the end of the drive once a week. Can't be arsed with all this recycling nonsense.
    Forum Member
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    I just dump everything in the one greeny grey wheely bin and stick it at the end of the drive once a week. Can't be arsed with all this recycling nonsense.

I was shamed into starting to do it through work.

I swear this is true; once upon a time I tossed a Starbucks cup into the paper bin with the plastic top still on it and there was a collective gasp of disbelief from everybody else in the office. :blush:
  • and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My council gave us separate bins for paper, plastic, glass, metal, food and everything else along with a leaflet explaining that everything we throw away has to be sorted into separate bins otherwise we will be fined.

Once a fortnight they come around and collect all of the bins, throw it all into the back of a rubbish lorry and then drive off leaving the bins and half of the rubbish spread across the pavement and road.
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It aint rocket science OP.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I agree. Lets chuck it in one big dump and let the unemployed do it instead.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have given up since the bin men refused to collect our recycling on several occasions despite us following the rules about what was allowed. Only a snotty note refusing to collect was left on the bin without any indication of what they think we did wrong. So now we just put everything in the normal household waste bin. Any massive other amounts just go down the dump.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

its getting gross.

the clothing.... etc

Oh poor you with your real first world problems. Jeeeeez are you really not able to manage that simple task as you go along each day? When you throw something out just choose the right bin. FFS don't try rocket science.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

its getting gross.

the clothing.... etc

First world problems.
    Forum Member
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    I agree. Lets chuck it in one big dump and let the unemployed do it instead.

It does occur to me, if we just want to dispose of stuff, couldn't we chuck it all into a volcano or something? :confused:

One assumes, of course, that the benefit of recycling is also that it reduces the effort required to manufacture new stuff. Hence the phrase "recycling".
  • 1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't recycle any more after a failed collection, Now I just dump all general waste at the bottom of the blue and brown bin and cover the top with cardboard / food waste etc, sod them.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I don't recycle any more after a failed collection, Now I just dump all general waste at the bottom of the blue and brown bin and cover the top with cardboard / food waste etc, sod them.

Well done you, that'll teach em!! >:(
    You obviously don't realise(or just don't care) that those that take your rubbish are not the ones who have to deal with it when it gets to the recycling plant and what effect your actions have on the day to day running of that plant.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    and101 wrote: »
    My council gave us separate bins for paper, plastic, glass, metal, food and everything else along with a leaflet explaining that everything we throw away has to be sorted into separate bins otherwise we will be fined.

Once a fortnight they come around and collect all of the bins, throw it all into the back of a rubbish lorry and then drive off leaving the bins and half of the rubbish spread across the pavement and road.

That is the same here. Where I use to live if they dropped anything they would get a dustpan and brush out and pick it up.

I have since moved and they must be the most lazy collectors. They drop stuff everywhere. If they drop a glass bottle it is left there >:( They drag our garden recycle bags so they end up with holes in so you have to buy more >:(

Even tho we have to have the bags and bins in the correct place they leave them in the road where they get blown into the moving traffic or someone nicks it.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

I know! It's so easy to do it as you go along. Paper/plastic/tin cans go in a tub we keep under the kitchen bench, which we then empty into the recyclables wheelie bin.

Glass bottles & jars get taken to the bottle bank.

Everything else goes in the pedal bin.

It's not exactly difficult to do, is it?
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Yeah shockin, in fact you had to create a thread on it

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=76536185&postcount=1
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Move to Charnwood (Loughborough) one large green wheelie bin for everything recyclable.

Sorted, no sorting.