The Crystal Maze is 25 years old.

Comments

• itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a contestants story here:

http://www.boblishman.freeserve.co.uk/thestory.htm

Although I would not wait for an update, I think IE5 was in use about 15 years ago.
  • DJ JimmyDJ Jimmy Posts: 7,166
    Forum Member
    I watched The Outtakes last night and noticed one of the captains said when asked if he wanted to buy someone out said "We were told we couldn't" and another said " She forgot who was playing the next game" so I wonder if they were sometimes told what to say and do

If I remember correctly, in the first series the captain picked who would play the game and what type it would be. But in later series', the producers told the captain who would play and what type it would be, hence why "she forgot". Apparently it was to ensure that games were suited for the individual players and they would be an entertaining watch.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know when the contestants went in the room they stopped filming to put the cameras in the room it took most of the day to film and they went back the next day to redo any issues they had with filming.

The crystal dome was filmed twice once with the contestants scrambling on the floor to pick up tokens and the second filming the contestants were told to jump around to make it look interesting.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I used to love the show :)
    "Tooooo the Cryyyyyystaaaal Doooooome" :D
    "Will you START THE FANS PLEASE?" :D
    Blimey is Richard really 72 now? :eek:
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a contestants story here:

http://www.boblishman.freeserve.co.uk/thestory.htm

Although I would not wait for an update, I think IE5 was in use about 15 years ago.

I didn't realise Ed Tudor Pole from band temple Tudor took over?
  • Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Richard O Brien is 72 now. I wouldn't think he like too be running and crawling around like he was back then.

Plus he lives in New Zealand, so unlikely:D
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Loved that show as a kid. Bringing it back just wouldn't work because they would never be able to just leave it as it was and you could never match the hosts.

I adored Gladiators, but it was never the same when they brough it back.
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stewartuu wrote: »
    Probably my favourite TV show of all time. Can't believe its 20 years this summer since it ended.

Best left in the past IMO. The scrutiny a revival would be subjected to - if anything about it is different, people will complain. If it tries to be the same, people will complain.

There's plenty of scope for cheaper shows *like* it... Release the Hounds, for example, which was great... but The Crystal Maze and all its baggage is probably too much a hot potato for anyone to consider.

20 years? no way, please tell me this is a mistake, it doesn't seem possible:( does anyone else feel slightly old now?
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Tudor Pole could deffinately do a revival and I dont see why not considering how good the ratings were on his last episode.

That outtake vid - can you tell the contestant to stop swearing -

Im sure I heard one person say shit on a tv episode.
  • stewartuustewartuu Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    20 years? no way, please tell me this is a mistake, it doesn't seem possible:( does anyone else feel slightly old now?

Oh Ben, I know how you feel.
    Tudor Pole could deffinately do a revival and I dont see why not considering how good the ratings were on his last episode.

That outtake vid - can you tell the contestant to stop swearing -

Im sure I heard one person say shit on a tv episode.

Hmm, I really enjoyed Tudor-Pole as host but I don't think he's spoken very highly of it since - I doubt he'd be interested.

Was it actually known that the 1995 series was the last one? This would explain the boost in ratings, surely. I remember hearing that Ed may have quit, but not that the show had been axed entirely. I was looking out for it the following year but of course it never happened.

Quite a few episodes - particularly the earlier ones that Challenge played on Sunday - feature audible swearing. RO'B even tells people off for it occasionally.
  • LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bring Richard back to host it. Who really wants to see anyone else but him.

This. It wasn't quite the same without him.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Richard O Brien is 72 now. I wouldn't think he like too be running and crawling around like he was back then.

Especially now he's got boobs. I am not kidding.
  • ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm, I really enjoyed Tudor-Pole as host but I don't think he's spoken very highly of it since - I doubt he'd be interested.

The thing with Ed Tudor-Pole - it's not that he was bad as the presenter. It's just he had such enormous shoes to fill after Richard O'Brien, who completely made the show his own with lightning quick ad-libs to what was going on around him and funny stories to tell the viewers. So compared to Richard, Ed always had a difficult job to do.
    Was it actually known that the 1995 series was the last one? This would explain the boost in ratings, surely. I remember hearing that Ed may have quit, but not that the show had been axed entirely. I was looking out for it the following year but of course it never happened.

After the last 1995 episode, Ed says, "I don't know when I'm going to see you again. but hopefully soon", compared to the last episodes in the other series where both he and Richard said things like, "we'll be back next year", so it sounds like Ed didn't know whether the show would be renewed:

http://youtu.be/1yDjVaj11yQ?t=48m38s
    Forum Member
    Oh Ben, I know how you feel.

Quite a few episodes - particularly the earlier ones that Challenge played on Sunday - feature audible swearing. RO'B even tells people off for it occasionally.

The best one for me was that coloured girl when she couldnt wait for the platforms to get to her and with 5 seconds left she just pelted over them and all she did was laugh while Richard told her off saying she could hurt herself.

Funny cos when a lady had to walk across a wet pole the one thats in the intros she smashed her side on the wooden beam yet they didnt care for her as she just got locked in.
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if The Crystle Maze was directly influenced by The Adventure Game, which was on the BBC about five years before it? It was a very similar set up, except it ended each show with the 'Vortex' that zapped the guests :D
    Forum Member
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/to-the-crystal-dome

Great interview with Richard (no surprise Ed Tudor-Pole isn't involved ;)), Mumsey, producer David Croft and designer James Dillon about the show, as well as comments from the first ever team captain.
    Forum Member
    Why isnt Ed involved. He doesnt mind talking about the show.
    Forum Member
    Looks like there are plans to bring The Crystal Maze back in a new guise, as an "immersive live experience" in London. Quite exciting:

http://metro.co.uk/2015/06/09/stop-everything-there-is-a-real-life-crystal-maze-does-this-mean-the-show-is-returning-5237978/
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Not really relevant but we did a quiz on holiday the other week, in the guess the theme tune,we thiught we'd be the only ones to know the Crystal maze but werent. Bring it back channel 4! Maybe they could do a special like for TFI?
  • HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    Not really relevant but we did a quiz on holiday the other week, in the guess the theme tune,we thiught we'd be the only ones to know the Crystal maze but werent. Bring it back channel 4! Maybe they could do a special like for TFI?

It would cost them too much to build the set for a one off special. They would have to sign up a few series at least to make it worthwhile I would have though.
  • owen10owen10 Posts: 127,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What was the record for the most lock ins I saw one episode where about three contestants got locked in and they had to use three crystals just to get them out Also did any team get all twelve crystals so they got a minute of time inside the Crystal dome
    Forum Member
    owen10 wrote: »
    What was the record for the most lock ins I saw one episode where about three contestants got locked in and they had to use three crystals just to get them out Also did any team get all twelve crystals so they got a minute of time inside the Crystal dome

Five teams lost three people to lock-ins. Fifty seconds was the longest spent in the Dome, and that happened four times.

http://crystalmaze.marcgerrish.com/faq.htm - useful site for TCM trivia. :)
    Forum Member
    I saw one episode where 3 people were in the dome.
    Forum Member
    The Crystal Maze Live has officially launched and begun crowdfunding. Over £30,000 raised in 20 minutes! :o

And even Richard O'Brien is involved... this is now seriously exciting, and probably the closest to getting the show back as we are ever likely to come. With its backing I actually have a lot of faith in this being a wonderful tribute to the show; cannot wait to see how it looks!

Link: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-crystal-maze-a-live-immersive-experience#/story