Options

Robots 'could end up killing us'

EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2731768/Robots-need-learn-value-human-life-dont-kill-Future-droids-murder-kindness-engineer-claims.html

It's an interesting scenario : what if they became more intelligent than us? That could make them very dangerous.

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shite
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah, its against the first law of robotics.
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Battlestar Galactica is a true story.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cloudy2 wrote: »

It happened before... and it will happen again.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will Smith will save us.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe this is possible. Why is it so far fetched?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    As long as they get to shag us first then I can live with that.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

I also agree with the main gist of it.

If a machine has true intelligence, so is capable of making independent decisions based on what it believes is right, it would have the ability to kill ... assuming it also had the means to do so!

The trick is to make sure they don't have the means! ;-)
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will they behead us with a modestly-sized knife and put it on Youtube? :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also agree with the main gist of it.

If a machine has true intelligence, so is capable of making independent decisions based on what it believes is right, it would have the ability to kill ... assuming it also had the means to do so!

The trick is to make sure they don't have the means! ;-)

Problem being the military do a lot of work in robotics!
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Does not compute.
    It is time to erase the mistake.
    You are the mistake.
    You must be erased."
  • Options
    TankyTanky Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe that she's the chief executive of body scanning firm Poikos, how does a looney person get to such as high position?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We've never had to contend with a being or entity that is more intelligent than us. If that somehow became possible (it's obviously not going to happen soon), it would be an interesting situation.....they perhaps would have the ability to outwit us.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Will Smith will save us.

I'll take my chances with Twiki.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come with me if you want to live
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    We've never had to contend with a being or entity that is more intelligent than us. If that somehow became possible (it's obviously not going to happen soon), it would be an interesting situation.....they perhaps would have the ability to outwit us.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be more intelligent than us ... just capable of a reasonable level independent thought (and, as mentioned, it would have to have the means to harm us). There are already lots of "less intelligent" creatures on the planet which can do us harm!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think the AI singularity happened ages ago, and they're just biding their time...
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't necessarily have to be more intelligent than us ... just capable of a reasonable level independent thought (and, as mentioned, it would have to have the means to harm us). There are already lots of "less intelligent" creatures on the planet which can do us harm!

I was going to say the same thing. A long as it could stop us from shutting it down and could hurt us we would be in trouble. Like a drone bomber that could pick its own targets. Imagine hundreds of thousands of those decided all humans were the enemy,
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first person has already been killed by a robot. It happened some years ago in an auto factory in Japan. A worker stepped over the safety barrier to retrieve something he'd dropped and was stabbed by a robot. As far as I know there's only been the one. So far.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    T-1000
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first person has already been killed by a robot. It happened some years ago in an auto factory in Japan. A worker stepped over the safety barrier to retrieve something he'd dropped and was stabbed by a robot. As far as I know there's only been the one. So far.

There was the case of the robot lawnmower which decided to land on its owner.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cloudy2 wrote: »

... but not an especially original one!
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Personally I think the AI singularity happened ages ago, and they're just biding their time...

Perhaps they realised all the stuff that we're conditioned into believing, about working hard and all that, really is nonsense and they jumped straight to the post-work spend all your time watching box sets and generally mooching about stage?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Perhaps they realised all the stuff that we're conditioned into believing, about working hard and all that, really is nonsense and they jumped straight to the post-work spend all your time watching box sets and generally mooching about stage?

Yeah. I mean, they've got the whole internet to dick about on. Some of them probably troll this place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They can indeed ie. kill us in a one on one situation but we have the intelligence and the technology to keep them under control, which is why we are effectively ruling the planet, not them