The Librarians (Uk Pace) [NO SPOILERS, even in tags]

Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,042
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Starts Monday at 8pm on syfy. Loved the films so can't wait for this. The fact that noah wyle is in half of however many eps there are and hopefully with falling skies finishing he'll return full time.

Comments

• Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I've been keeping an eye on this, though I have very little idea of what it's about - and I haven't watched the films. Anyone care to enlighten me?
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,684
    Forum Member
    Films: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Librarian_(franchise)
    TV Series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Librarians_(2014_TV_series)

And the films are on SyFy this week; 1 and 2 tomorrow (Sunday) and 3 on Wednesday.

I assume I don't need to watch the films before watching the series, do I?
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All 3 films are on today from 2pm. Don't think people need to see the films first buf it might help so you get to know about noah wyle's character and they're good fun. Similar to indiana Jones which I always thought would have made a great series.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the films were naff to be honest. It had a weak cast and I have never rated Noah Wyle as a good actor. There were better actors in ER and I think Falling skies is one of the worst sci-fi shows ever.

I really like Christian Kane and Rebecca Romijn and I think this show could be a good replacement for Warehouse 13. It looks action packed and doesn't take it;s self too seriously. Plus I feel there isn't a million complicated arcs for us to follow. But i won't be checking it out until a renewal. But i will be recording the episodes to binge if a renewal occurs.
  • leeowls87leeowls87 Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But i won't be checking it out until a renewal. But i will be recording the episodes to binge if a renewal occurs.

I understand the frustrations of a show getting cancelled but even a one season show can be great

You might be missing out on something you will enjoy, I know Forever is likely to be cancelled (I do still hold some hope) but even if it is one and done I have to say it is one of my favourite shows I've ever seen, the fact it might only have one season wont change that thought.

Cliffhangers on cancelled shows are of course the worst but its just the way of TV.

I recorded the 3 films to watch over the week, never heard of the films/show until I saw the trailer the other day for the TV series and found out it was also a series of films beforhand.

Sounds like something ill like so will be checking out
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    All 3 films are on today from 2pm.
    So they were :o:blush: I only "saw" the first two :( Never mind. Catching it on Wednesday instead.

I'll watch them at some point.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apparently we're getting to see this only a day after the States
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Apparently we're getting to see this only a day after the States

Yes, had to hide Chris Kane from my Facebook feed last night as he was tweeting during the show when it aired in the US,

Looked forward to tonight :)
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I hadn't heard of the films but I liked the trailer for the series so I've been watching them over the last few weeks. They are good fun. Kind of a cross between Indiana Jones and Romancing the Stone.

I particularly like the look of the cast in this so I hope it does well.
  • TankyTanky Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say that this series was awful after the first 2 episodes(don't worry I won't say anything about the content). It was just too cheesy and some of the acting felt awkward. I don't know why but it felt like it was trying to appeal to a younger audience, like an even more kiddy version of Indiana Jones. It does feel like it needs some grit that Indiana Jones had, as it's just too "safe".

Sorry guys, watch it if you like but it's not my sort of series sadly.
  • soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tanky wrote: »
    I have to say that this series was awful after the first 2 episodes(don't worry I won't say anything about the content). It was just too cheesy and some of the acting felt awkward. I don't know why but it felt like it was trying to appeal to a younger audience, like an even more kiddy version of Indiana Jones. It does feel like it needs some grit that Indiana Jones had, as it's just too "safe".

Sorry guys, watch it if you like but it's not my sort of series sadly.

After the first fifteen minutes or so I thought it had some potential but it was downwards from there on. Not my sort of thing either. The first episode will also be my last.
  • daz100daz100 Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Could only manage 15 minutes was awful.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bum, didn't think to check that this is actually on Syfy. Will give it a look.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's got Lindy Booth in it, so she will keep me watching.
    Forum Member
    ^ This. Plus Rebecca Rom... thing. Plus (if only to prove I'm not entirely shallow :D) I like Noah and Christian as actors too :)
    Forum Member
    Tanky wrote: »
    I have to say that this series was awful after the first 2 episodes(don't worry I won't say anything about the content). It was just too cheesy and some of the acting felt awkward. I don't know why but it felt like it was trying to appeal to a younger audience, like an even more kiddy version of Indiana Jones. It does feel like it needs some grit that Indiana Jones had, as it's just too "safe". .

That's basically what the films were. A younger version of Indiana Jones. You can't take them too seriously and the series looks like a similar feel. Probably quite similar to the tone of Warehouse 13, I suspect.

I was concerned initially that having three other brain boxes was a bit redundant given that the Librarian should already be the foremost authority on pretty much anything and should know all the same stuff they do. I get the impression from how episode two ended, however, that the newbies will be doing their own thing without Noah's character being around that much so that should work fine.

It seems like the rest of the show is going to be a different dynamic to the first two episodes.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have watched the first 2 films, have to say, the first one was ok, second was bad - not watched the third one.......

have sky+ed the start of the series but not watched yet

I felt like a cross between Warehouse 13 and Indiana Jones but nowhere near the same level of either

Noah Wyle started to annoy me after a while in the second film, Im not sure if he is trying to do funny or quirky or both but he just started to grate on my nerves after a while

I will give series 1 a go but Im not holding out a lot of hope if the first 2 films are anything to go by!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The show premiered to a massive 5 million viewers on Sunday.
  • Alan58Alan58 Posts: 1,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankfully never heard of the films as the TV series is pretty dreadful. A very poor rip-off of Warehouse 13. gave up watching about 15 mins. into episode 2. How on earth they got Bob Newhart to appear in it I don't know. Perhaps he needed to practise his deadpan face for his next show he must have had a hard time to stop laughing at the terrible script and bad acting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's good to have the occasional programme you can switch your brain off to (like The Flash).
    It'll do me. Nothing spectacular, but fun, and better than a lot of stuff.
    Forum Member
    Alan58 wrote: »
    Thankfully never heard of the films as the TV series is pretty dreadful. A very poor rip-off of Warehouse 13. gave up watching about 15 mins. into episode 2. How on earth they got Bob Newhart to appear in it I don't know. Perhaps he needed to practise his deadpan face for his next show he must have had a hard time to stop laughing at the terrible script and bad acting.

I believe the films predate Warehouse 13 by about 5 years so any similarities to Warehouse 13 would be more likely Warehouse 13's ripping-off of the Librarian films rather than vice versa!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How come its not available on catch up?
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    I believe the films predate Warehouse 13 by about 5 years so any similarities to Warehouse 13 would be more likely Warehouse 13's ripping-off of the Librarian films rather than vice versa!

In a sense both series kind of rip off the ending of the first Indiana Jones film
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How well is this doing rating wise? Does it have a good chance of renewal?