Options

Strangeways, ITV 9pm, Mon 9-23 May

Comments

• Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    I thought he must have killed someone to get a sentence that long.
    The thought that a murderer would have got less in this day and age did cross my mind.
  • Options
    pinchezpinchez Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    15yrs for a driver is way over the top.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the treatment of most of them was "fair", apart from the few who should be in secure psychiatric establishments.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That seemed a very quick hour :D

Seriously, not a bad documentary. I tuned into the Holloway doc they did a few years ago, so i had to tune into this. Interesting views of prison life, quite hard-hitting. I'll be tuning in next week.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Driver in a large drug haul. He said he did it 3 times, each time he got paid £500. That equates to £100 for every year he's been sentenced to.

He got 15 years because the judge didn't believe his account of his relationship to the crime.
  • Options
    welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    thought that was brilliant... 15 years lot of marking days off on the wall
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pinchez wrote: »

It was 17 years, was reduced by 2. Guess remand and pleading guilty helped to do that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    He got 15 years because the judge didn't believe his account of his relationship to the crime.

Neither did I, for what it's worth.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    preston41 wrote: »
    One prisoner was even found with a home-made crossbow, crafted from razor handles, pens and an elastic band.

Prisoners eh? Who'd have em.

Should just let them use electric shavers.
    Good prog but seen it all before really. Will watch again though. Felt sorry for the bloke getting 15 years. You dont get that for murder do you.
    Its like those who helped Raoul Moat. They got a huge sentence and they just drove him around.
  • Options
    PaulB1973PaulB1973 Posts: 2,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pinchez wrote: »

Anything involving smuggling, distributing or supplying drugs it seems can draw very long sentences in the UK. Not that it seems to have done much in regards to the 'war' on drugs. Sure I overhead on one of those BBC3 programmes on drugs - that the authorities seize about 1 - 2% of cocaine entering the country, a pitiful amount really, if that's correct.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They only do about half the sentence don't they - so "Smithie" will do just over 7 years.

I felt sorry for his elderly parents having to go and see him in there.

Wonder who got the job of checking inside the tangoed pink meringue bride's cleavage? My god she could have had a van full of drugs tucked away in there! The his 'n hers tattoos on the back of their necks:eek::eek:

Those poor kids having to be security checked. You can just hear them telling their teachers and schoolmates all about their exciting day out.
  • Options
    billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    I found smithies story quite upsetting because he just seemed like a normal family guy not like the ones with big tattoos shaven heads etc who look like they want to start a fight. Felt sorry for his parents also. Bit extreme 15 years others who murder sometimes get less then that just a sad story I thought :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    They only do about half the sentence don't they - so "Smithie" will do just over 7 years.

I felt sorry for his elderly parents having to go and see him in there.

Wonder who got the job of checking inside the tangoed pink meringue bride's cleavage? My god she could have had a van full of drugs tucked away in there! The his 'n hers tattoos on the back of their necks:eek::eek:

Those poor kids having to be security checked. You can just hear them telling their teachers and schoolmates all about their exciting day out.

Anyone male or female would rather have the cleavage job, than the cell checking job where one inmate was found to have concealed a small bag of drugs under his foreskin.

cheese.
  • Options
    welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    didnt feel sorry for any of them
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Got to ask whats a Jack and Danny :D

LaineyT
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LaineyT wrote: »
    Got to ask whats a Jack and Danny :D

LaineyT

FANNY, but you really knew that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    preston41 wrote: »
    FANNY

ohhhh triplets :D

Lainey
  • Options
    Nollaig79Nollaig79 Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching it now, its quite a grim and depressing documentary really. I felt sorry for the guy who got sentenced for smuggling drugs, will definitely watch next week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you mean Smithie he wasnt smuggling the daft begger was only driving the van. He did it 3 times and got £500 each time...hardly worth it

LaineyT
  • Options
    JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    where might one be able to see the original strangeways program from the 80s?
  • Options
    redcherryredcherry Posts: 12,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was very interesting and thought provoking.

I felt more sorry for their families.

As the saying goes, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quite a depressing documentary. But I suppose it couldn't have been anything but depressing.

I guess Smithie will be out within 7-8 years. I wonder if he'll serve his sentence at Strangeways, or be transferred to a lower security prison.
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are people feeling sorry for Lee, he decided to commit the crimes he did, no one held a gun to his head. He had a choice, he chose to make the wrong ones. The only people I felt sorry for were Lee's parents and all the children of the inmates featured.

I didn't believe Lee's version of events. Even he thought he would get 8 years. He's got to have been involved longer than he said or his involvement run deeper and he earned a great deal of money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They said what he was involved with was a multi million pound drugs racket and he said he only drove the van and got £500 then said I did that 3 times ! So he got £1500 hardly worth it.

Lainey