Options

Your thoughts on the commentators and presenters so far?

124»

Comments

• Options
    floppydogfloppydog Posts: 1,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mallaha wrote: »

I want to like Ade Adepitan, but he needs to do some voice training. At the moment, he is a bit too CBBC.

Totally agree, I also hate the southern accent 'Norf and Sarf' but he can't help that.
  • Options
    Suitcase BeraoSuitcase Berao Posts: 6,078
    Forum Member
    Bristol12 wrote: »
    Arthur Williams is instantly unlikeable, arrogant and not the brightest:forever getting names wrong and other significant mistakes.

Four years later and he is still as bad and still getting names wrong! Of the main disabled presenters I would say that Ade is the best of the bad bunch, just in front of Sophie, JJ and then the dreadful Arthur.

Marc Woods who does the swimming with Clare Balding has been superb and Liz Johnson has been much better than I expected. Iwan Roberts is a fairly safe pair of hands for the athletics and Stef Reid is a vast improvement on Sophia Warner who they initially had. Not a fan of Danny Crates though. Elsewhere Lee McKenzie was great at the Cycling (although I really rate her as a presenter and hopefully will get a higher profile for the Beeb come Rio) and Sonja has been okay at the Athletics asking the questions.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the afternoon team the most awkward in their presenting style, there's a touch of 70s Why Don't you about them.

Love the swimming team and the Last Leg are excellent, as always.
  • Options
    abannieabannie Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Four years later and he is still as bad and still getting names wrong! Of the main disabled presenters I would say that Ade is the best of the bad bunch, just in front of Sophie, JJ and then the dreadful Arthur.

Marc Woods who does the swimming with Clare Balding has been superb and Liz Johnson has been much better than I expected. Iwan Roberts is a fairly safe pair of hands for the athletics and Stef Reid is a vast improvement on Sophia Warner who they initially had. Not a fan of Danny Crates though. Elsewhere Lee McKenzie was great at the Cycling (although I really rate her as a presenter and hopefully will get a higher profile for the Beeb come Rio) and Sonja has been okay at the Athletics asking the questions.

I'd agree with all of the above.
  • Options
    AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,877
    Forum Member
    I'm so pleased this thread has been revived as I need an outlet for my frustration about a couple of commentators:

Paul Noble in the swimming - that bloody annoying growl thing he does when the swimmers are coming up to finish. I cannot bear it.

Katharine Merry in the athletics - what is that accent?!! She doesn't annoy me as much as Noble and she probably can't help an accent but I find it really distracting the way she says "chee-airm-pee-yun" and "air-thletes".

I'm ok with the studio presenters really. They're not as good as the BBC's for the Olympics (Clare B rules!) but don't get on my wick. Ade is in a class of his own though - it's called Reception.
  • Options
    owen10owen10 Posts: 128,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find Clare Balding at these Paralympics a bit lost to be honest. It is like she does not know a lot about Paralympic sports and she has to rely on the experts to get her through the show

She constantly has to ask people, Who is that athlete. What was her background. Is she any good.

It would have been a lot better if she researched each athlete. especially in the swimming, so she does not have to ask so many questions

Because her presenting style at these Paralympics is becoming a little forced and not natural. She should relax a bit more and dont try too hard
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    owen10 wrote: »
    I find Clare Balding at these Paralympics a bit lost to be honest. It is like she does not know a lot about Paralympic sports and she has to rely on the experts to get her through the show

She constantly has to ask people, Who is that athlete. What was her background. Is she any good.

It would have been a lot better if she researched each athlete. especially in the swimming, so she does not have to ask so many questions

Because her presenting style at these Paralympics is becoming a little forced and not natural. She should relax a bit more and dont try too hard

I don't think it's that she has done no research but she is asking the questions as she knows that large sections of the audience won't know about the competitors. Letting the experts explain things will be better as they will ultimately have more knowledge, otherwise why employ them? Clare's job is to know enough to ask the right questions.
  • Options
    GavitarGavitar Posts: 2,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katharine Merry ... loved her as a runner but can someone explain to me why she gets so much commentary & in-stadium announcing work? It's mystifying to me.

Her intonation drives me up the wall and she's just so inane - "she ran the bend" (yeah, thanks Katharine, I did notice the athlete wasn't walking) and a myriad of other comments that add very little. She was no better commentating the field events on last year's IAAF live streams at the World Champs, so it's not an issue of any lack of knowledge of para athletics.

Thankfully, to rescue the situation, they have an otherwise solid team including the always excellent Rob Walker.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stef Reid has rather grown on me.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My girlfriend's mate has been there commentating occasionally and in the studio.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    i was thinking the exact opposite. Latham is so bad at interviewing it's cringe worthy. Hasn't got the 'voice', experience or professionalism required to be the main interviewer for the Paralympic swimming programme. Not saying Davies was any good, but she's better than Latham

All she does is ask the same questions over and over, getting no interesting response whatsoever from the swimmers

Fit? Yes. Presenter? No

Both are poor. I watched most of the coverage on RAI sport as I was abroad and the Italian poolside interviewer was much better even when speaking in a second language.
  • Options
    danprodanpro Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    owen10 wrote: »

Totally disagree. I think CB is very well informed but asks all the right questions to prompt the experts into the explanations they are there for. Para sport is less well know and understood than able bodied sport so more explanation is needed. There's been a bit more chat than I would ideally have liked but generally I think they've done a decent job. Swimming team has definitely been the best.
  • Options
    floppydogfloppydog Posts: 1,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ade Adepitan introduces a piece about a Black Belt Judo star who has Downs Syndrome, he introduces him as the President !! After an ad break he looks rather sheepish and says that should have been 'resident'.

Then he introduces Dame Sarah Storey in the studio and says ' Welcome Dame'.
    The best laugh of the games this chap.

I just wish he and his mate would stop interrupting studio guests with totally inane comments.
  • Options
    GavitarGavitar Posts: 2,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I'll ever understand the love/plaudits for Clare Balding's presenting but there you go ...

The two stars of the coverage have, for me, been:

R J Mitte - lovely lad, very humble, very thoughtful & erudite. Clearly loved every minute of the experience.
    Liz Johnson - very knowledgeable and fluent. Interesting to listen to and a natural broadcaster.

Those 2 are definite keepers and C4 should do everything they can to employ them in Tokyo.
  • Options
    David_Flett1David_Flett1 Posts: 9,309
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Stef Reid has rather grown on me.

I would put Stef Reid in the top three contributors along with Mark Wood and Liz Johnson. All knew so much about not only our team but other competitors.
  • Options
    JauntyMontyJauntyMonty Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    I would put Stef Reid in the top three contributors along with Mark Wood and Liz Johnson. All knew so much about not only our team but other competitors.

I agree 100%

There were a couple of times this week where I saw Ade Adepitan answering questions rather than asking them and it was clear that he is much better as a pundit than as a presenter.