US Copyright Office approves phone jailbreaking

2»

Comments

• kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Yes the update usually overwrote the existing firmware, but that didn't stop you reverting or modifying the new upgrade.
    If you want to be stuck with what your are given, then Ok. But we have rather different ideas about devices and user control.

But Samsung (or any other provider) will do the same as Apple:confused:

You seem to be implying that jailbreaking on Android was different to jailbreaking on iOS. I'm not sure it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you buy the hardware, its yours. Why shouldn't you be allowed to put your own software on it? Like many PVRs, NASs or PCs?

Its only Apple who are tossers about this.

I'm really confused:confused: My understanding was you can jailbreak an iphone like you can an Android phone, why is it different.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I'm really confused:confused: My understanding was you can jailbreak an iphone like you can an Android phone, why is it different.

As previously stated apples approach to those who jailbreak is appalling far beyond just removing the warranty. However android manufacturers actively provided support for the development community, whilst apple place contracts on them and do all they can to break such communities.

That's the difference
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    You'll have to ask swordman or anyone else who has 'jailbreaked'.
    "Rooting is another level beyond jailbreaking though not really comparable, jailbreaking on the whole just gives you control over your device that is already available on a droid."

I'm thinking of putting ubuntu on an old xp laptop, but would you think that is ok?
    Forum Member
    for the sake of this thread they are the same thing but the phone manufacturers response to the activity is completely different.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as I understand it (and I'm not overly familiar with either)

jailbreaking: allows you to install apps from somewhere other than the official store (and therefore not required for Android)
    rooting: allows the user administrator access to more low level functions of the phone's OS, usually unavailable.

the former term is generally used for iOS and the latter for Android - I have never heard of 'jailbreaking Android' outside this thread, and I've read up enough to have tried a custom ROM or two (which doesn't require rooting)

At a guess, jailbreaking an iphone also allows access to some adminstrator level functions not normally allowed, but the most common use is to let you install non-app store apps so swordman is not far off the mark.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    back on topic, a slightly more worrying aspect of the decision is that it only applies to phones. Jailbreaking tablets will still be considered illegal.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/27/jailbreaking-tablets-illegal_n_2024754.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl18%7Csec3_lnk1%26pLid%3D226595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2012-26308.pdf
    page 15

the documentation talks specifically of circumventing access controls preventing the use of "non-vendor-approved software";
    Specifically, [the EFF] noted that Apple, whose devices “refuse to run any unapproved third-party software,” has strict rules about the type of programs approved for sale through its “App Store,” the only authorized source of iPhone and iPad applications. EFF further asserted that although Android-based devices are generally less restricted than Apple devices, most still employ technological measures to block functionality and prevent the installation of certain types of software.

I can only think that the restrictions it means for Android are those that prevent me installing apps directly from the Google store if they are flagged as unavailable for the UK or my particular phone/tablet model. These can be circumvented by sideloading; no root is needed, so not sure if it makes any difference wrt Android.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume the term jailbreaking was invented to describe breaking out of the closed ecosystem, so only needed on apple devices.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    back on topic, a slightly more worrying aspect of the decision is that it only applies to phones. Jailbreaking tablets will still be considered illegal.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/27/jailbreaking-tablets-illegal_n_2024754.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl18%7Csec3_lnk1%26pLid%3D226595

Only in the states though. I doubt it was ever illegal in the uk.
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    as I understand it (and I'm not overly familiar with either)

jailbreaking: allows you to install apps from somewhere other than the official store (and therefore not required for Android)
    rooting: allows the user administrator access to more low level functions of the phone's OS, usually unavailable.

Rooting and jailbreak are exactly the same thing, They give Administrator/supervisor/root rights to allow users to work around OS imposed limitations.

Jailbreak in the term the apple community have coined for rooting iOS.

So much mis-information in this thread.
    Forum Member
    corf wrote: »
    Rooting and jailbreak are exactly the same thing, They give Administrator/supervisor/root rights to allow users to work around OS imposed limitations.

Jailbreak in the term the apple community have coined for rooting iOS.

So much mis-information in this thread.

This is getting off topic slightly but yes both give superuser permission however that is where it ends with ios android has another level of custom ROMs beyond this.

In addition the oses are like chalk and cheese so will not do the same thing, on top of that apple actively discourage this practice and seek to undo any jail broken phones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    This is getting off topic slightly but yes both give superuser permission however that is where it ends with ios android has another level of custom ROMs beyond this.

In addition the oses are like chalk and cheese so will not do the same thing, on top of that apple actively discourage this practice and seek to undo any jail broken phones.

Sorry to add to this confusion but I think I got wrong info on another thread.

If I remove touchwiz from my phone, is that considered rooting (jailbreaking) and if so, I assume my warranty would be effected? Is that true?
    Forum Member
    yes if you mod the phone it will invalidate the warranty you can always return to stock though