Three 4G Rollout | Free 4G for ALL!

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    If it's only 2mb, still on legacy backhaul. Especially if it is showing as upgraded. These are to be done (at least here) starting last week hopefully completed in q1 2014

Started this week over here. There are a number being done this month. I just found out there is one in my area being done before Christmas. Seen a number of others being done nearby as well.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's only 2mb, still on legacy backhaul. Especially if it is showing as upgraded. These are to be done (at least here) starting last week hopefully completed in q1 2014
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Started this week over here. There are a number being done this month. I just found out there is one in my area being done before Christmas. Seen a number of others being done nearby as well.

Thanks for that I will make sure to check on that mast soon. I know it not a problem getting backhaul to it as the next mast over has had DC-HSDPA for months now and regularly gets 8-12 MB. Had worried at first they would turn the mast of as it would cause quite a black spot in coverage specially indoors. They just seem to have forgotten about that one hoping as they upgrade masts to 4G in that area over next 1-2 months that mast gets upgraded to DC-HSDPA pretty sure it hasn't been upgraded since it was built. As never to my knowledge I have ever seen anything above HSPA 3.6 MB from it normally shows UMTS though.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it hasn't been upgraded since it was built it'd still be doing 384Kbps...
  • unouno Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a MBNL/ Orange mast near my office in Market Harborough which never offers speeds over 2mb but think it has been upgraded kit as now broadcasts EDGE 2G signal so hopefully that will be getting new backhaul soon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    If it hasn't been upgraded since it was built it'd still be doing 384Kbps...

That's not quite true I think it is one of the old basic HSPA masts that were built around a decade ago. You can tell it was designed as a fill in mast as well because hardly anything is in that area lot of old empty buildings nothing really there apart from offices I visit occasionally and part of a college.
  • InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    I know tethering isn't allowed on payg but if you do it and they ban you do they ban the SIM or the actual phone from working somehow?

Also is there any way to change a payg SIM to a Pay Monthly one on The One Plan or can you only do it online because of credit checks etc?

Also does the iPhone 5 work on 3's 4g?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    That's not quite true I think it is one of the old basic HSPA masts that were built around a decade ago. You can tell it was designed as a fill in mast as well because hardly anything is in that area lot of old empty buildings nothing really there apart from offices I visit occasionally and part of a college.

Ah, well yes if it wasn't originally a standard 3G and was instead built as HSDPA, yeah.

HSPA wasn't around a decade ago btw. HSDPA on its own became widespread about 2005-2006 and HSPA took a couple years after that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, well yes if it wasn't originally a standard 3G and was instead built as HSDPA, yeah.

HSPA wasn't around a decade ago btw. HSDPA on its own became widespread about 2005-2006 and HSPA took a couple years after that.

Okay well 2005 is nearly a decade ago now really but I get what you mean and yeah I mean basic HSDPA 3.6 would be an upgrade if it was even HSDPA 7.2 lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what the latency is like on that mast.

A lot of things have improved over the last six years, not just the headline speeds. I recall having 1.8Mbps download in 2007, that was the best 3 did then and my area was one of the earlier ones to be upgraded. But I also remember trying to play online FPS games over that and getting typical pings of about 120-160ms to London servers, which was only just borderline tolerable.

Nowadays a similar mast nearby might only do 2Mbps too but the latency being closer to a third of what it was before, makes everything so much faster regardless.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    You can tell if it's an Orange mast either by looking at the mast or the network code on your phone - it'll display 234-33 for Orangutang powered masts.

Doesn't seem to be the case here. All the 4G enabled MBNL masts (single speed - 10mhz area) transmit both 234-33 and 234-30 network codes. I assume when we get double speed / 20mhz (if ever) that this will be resolved into the one EE code.

My old 2G only Nokia still shows Orange and T-Mobile network names in the search, but EE when you select either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's specifically talking about non-MBNL masts. There are no Orange 4G masts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what the latency is like on that mast.

A lot of things have improved over the last six years, not just the headline speeds. I recall having 1.8Mbps download in 2007, that was the best 3 did then and my area was one of the earlier ones to be upgraded. But I also remember trying to play online FPS games over that and getting typical pings of about 120-160ms to London servers, which was only just borderline tolerable.

Nowadays a similar mast nearby might only do 2Mbps too but the latency being closer to a third of what it was before, makes everything so much faster regardless.

Hmm I just checked my speed test results log it seems from tests I done to be between 80-105ms. Streaming does not work on it I have tried in the past also you don't seem to get all your emails either I know that sounds odd. But on a regular basis I can walk out of the buildings and down the road towards car park it switches to the other mast and suddenly phone vibrates a ton and receive about 5-7 emails.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    He's specifically talking about non-MBNL masts

Ok, I think all the non MBNL ones here were turned off in the summer. Only one affects a housing area I know of, which also has no decent 3, or O2 or Voda signal. 2mins walk outside and glorious 4G. Odd blackspot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, multiple people have already said they are quite rare but still exist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @jabbamk

They've now taken my remaining 26Mbps 😞

Don't know if it's their maintainence or if I've knocked something when replacing my iPhone battery.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    He's specifically talking about non-MBNL masts. There are no Orange 4G masts.

Source on that please... ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Source on that please... ;)
    Scroll up:
    enapace wrote: »
    True it isn't but pretty sure it is an old Orange mast as it doesn't show the H logo on my phone just the 3G one only mast I seen in a while that does that,
    You yourself said it was mostly old Orange masts stuck on the legacy backhaul that delivered slow speeds
    Forum Member
    Scroll up:

You yourself said it was mostly old Orange masts stuck on the legacy backhaul that delivered slow speeds

I think Lucan wanted you to explain why you said there were no Orange 4G masts.
  • reclusive46reclusive46 Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bizarrely I have an old Orange decommissioned mast right outside my house (Has been for almost a year now) but last week they seemed to be fibering it. So I have no idea what they are doing with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everybody knows Orange never did 4G, there's nothing to explain. All 4G rollout was done under EE/MBNL.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can we go back on topic ?.Are there any three 4g users on the forum that can tell us how the customer trial is going?.

Or jabbamk1 any other info leaked etc when more areas are going to be enabled?.
    Forum Member
    Everybody knows Orange never did 4G, there's nothing to explain. All 4G rollout was done under EE/MBNL.

There are Orange sites which are not yet MBNL'd... which are 4G EE.
    Forum Member
    Can we go back on topic ?.Are there any three 4g users on the forum that can tell us how the customer trial is going?.

Or jabbamk1 any other info leaked etc when more areas are going to be enabled?.

Last i heard there were a few issues with the trial in getting folk actually onto the 4G network.. expected EE had similar issues. However speeds are quite all over the place but there have been improvements in the reliability/speed of switching down from 4G to 3G when voice calls happen.. which is one the key objectives of the trial. Nothing major to report as the sites and staff are used to dealing with 4G. EE/MBNL/Three all in on the Trial.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are Orange sites which are not yet MBNL'd... which are 4G EE.

Yes, exactly. 4G EE. Not Orange 4G.
    Last i heard there were a few issues with the trial in getting folk actually onto the 4G network.. expected EE had similar issues.
    There are EE users on 3's trial?!
    Forum Member
    Yes, exactly. 4G EE. Not Orange 4G.

Bloody hell, Is today take everything literally day or something? It's quite clear an Orange 4G mast is also an EE 4G mast.
    There are EE users on 3's trial?!

He's talking about the EE trial last year.
This discussion has been closed.