Banning sexy adverts near schools

Packup PetePackup Pete Posts: 2,394
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15237198

Provocative billboard ads could be banned over fears over the sexualisation of children, reports the Sunday Telegraph. It says "the most explicit advertising hoardings will be banned from public display altogether, while any put up within 100 yards of schools will have to pass a strict new code designed to remove sexualised imagery from billboards."

What do you think? Good idea? Or just a pointless drop in the ocean?

It seems a little silly to me when any kid could turn on a music channel and see a lot worse.

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    kid sees woman in her grundies shocker.

sexualisation of kids is one thing but a woman in her bra and pants is quite another. one thing i've learned about kids is that teaching them that they shouldn't be interested in something has quite the opposite effect.

i have no interest in teaching kids that the human body is something taboo that should be covered up.

and kids have the internet. i'm pretty confident they've all seen a video of a #### ####ing a #### in the #### with a #### and a ####, whilst #### potato #### in ###### like #### and Winnie the Pooh
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the whole idea is stupid. How many kids have seen their parents in swimming costumes or even their underwear? Lots. So why is it a problem seeing a picture of a model wearing a bra?

My 5 year old grand-daughter sees page 3 of the sun and never makes comment about seeing bare breasts. My nephew of similar age completely ignores them too.

Those in charge need to learn that discrimination is taught.... Children simply accept what they see and accept it as the norm - e.g. people with disabilities, people of different colours, people of different religions, people of different social backgrounds - kids couldn't care less - its the parents and adults who inject THEIR dislikes into the kids.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I was more annoyed by the fact, according to some thing I caught the end of on TV this morning, the call for a ban was instigated and is supported by one of those bloody Mum's groups, similar to Mumsnet.
    Forum Member
    I was more annoyed by the fact, according to some thing I caught the end of on TV this morning, the call for a ban was instigated and is supported by one of those bloody Mum's groups, similar to Mumsnet.

mumsnet are like the frikin taliban.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see nothing wrong with this. What many of these advertisements do is give children a false impression of reality and then they unwittingly allow that to craft their world view because they don't have the wherewithall at that age to be able to critically analyse what they're seeing.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Mother's Union not Mumsnet, and it's a Christian charity.

I can't see the point. While there is a problem with sexualisaiton of teenagers, it's not nearly as prevalent in other countries where their media is much more explicit than our own, so it's pretty obvious the media isn't to blame so this won't have any effect whatsoever.
  • DanCleggDanClegg Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I understand, women in bikinis would be fine. It's sexually provocative ads where a woman has her legs wide open or touching herself inappropriately. If this is the case, I really don't see the problem with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because kids never venture further than 100 yards away from school. FACT. ;)

It's a dumb idea. If these adverts are so bad for society, they should be banned everywhere. I mean, won't somebody please think of the children who walk more than 100 yards away from their school? If they're not that bad, why are we banning them at all? How does "cleaning up" a small area around a school really help?

It's a silly little compromise invented to appease a fringe group.
    Forum Member
    DanClegg wrote: »
    As I understand, women in bikinis would be fine. It's sexually provocative ads where a woman has her legs wide open or touching herself inappropriately. If this is the case, I really don't see the problem with it.

i have never seen a picture of a woman fudding herself on a billboard?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »

I can't see the point. While there is a problem with sexualisaiton of teenagers, it's not nearly as prevalent in other countries where their media is much more explicit than our own, so it's pretty obvious the media isn't to blame so this won't have any effect whatsoever.

Don't you think it's slightly different in these other countries though because they haven't got that subconscious puritanical mindset that still exists in the UK?

In this country, teenage rebellion involves hyper-sexual expression. In these other countries, sexual expression is more of a social norm, and therefore not a tool of rebellion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Provocative billboard ads could be banned over fears over the sexualisation of children, reports the Sunday Telegraph. It says "the most explicit advertising hoardings will be banned from public display altogether, while any put up within 100 yards of schools will have to pass a strict new code designed to remove sexualised imagery from billboards."...............
    What do you think?

According to the Daily Mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2046952/Joanne-Salley-Harrow-School-teacher-topless-photos-row.html the young lads at Harrow have it good ;)

Odd, isn't it, that (I, at least) one OKs the negligibly-dressed art teacheress, if they are pleasing to the eye, for one's sons but would we be quite so happy about pics of thonged male art teachers for our daughters? I probably wouldn't be very comfortable with that.

Maurice Chevalier would be locked-up these days for "Thank Heavens for Little Girls".

It's a funny old world but part of the problem is the attempt to control peoples' innate feelings that have come about from millennia of genetic and behavioural programming.

Could it be that the behaviour of a tiny minority of real sickos has been legislated against and is now controlling what most decent people would consider 'acceptable' or 'normal'?
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Advertising hoardings are everywhere. Kids make journeys with there parents to many other places besides schools.
    Forum Member
    Don't you think it's slightly different in these other countries though because they haven't got that subconscious puritanical mindset that still exists in the UK?

In this country, teenage rebellion involves hyper-sexual expression. In these other countries, sexual expression is more of a social norm, and therefore not a tool of rebellion.

i think that is the point that is being made. that the puritanical mindset is damaging and is the product of campaigns like this by the fascist Mothers' Union - 'Christian care for families.'
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right, because the only place kids go outside is within 100 yards of a school.
  • Packup PetePackup Pete Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What makes the Brits have these ethics of moral behaviour?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    i think that is the point that is being made. that the puritanical mindset is damaging and is the product of campaigns like this by the fascist Mothers' Union - 'Christian care for families.'

Yes, it is kind of paradoxical, but necessary, because......
    What makes the Brits have these ethics of moral behaviour?

We still have the Protestant work ethic permeating our society which creates a far less socially relaxed culture than in other countries.

For example:

A 16 year old having a baby in Spain would be tut-tutted at, but the arrival would be welcomed and the family would pitch in.

A 16 year old having a baby in the UK is decried as a fiscal drain and one of the elements that prevents us from having the perfect economy - another ideal which can never be achieved.

Or:

An office worker in Italy has a nap after lunch because they know it increases afternoon productivity, so he can go home when his work is done.

An office worker in the UK misses lunch in order to meet a deadline. Once the deadline's met, more work is thrown on his desk so he goes home thinking about all the new work he has to do tomorrow.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member

I've seen a flashing neon sign of it, but it was in Soho:o
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm always interested how we complete desensitise children to violence, but the human form sparks complete outrage.

I think it's just our (adult) own reservations and embarrassment about such things which is the issue here rather than the need to 'protect' children.

How about protecting them from the carbonated poison that gets marketed directly towards them by multi-billion pound entities?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because kids never venture further than 100 yards away from school. FACT. ;)

It's a dumb idea. If these adverts are so bad for society, they should be banned everywhere. I mean, won't somebody please think of the children who walk more than 100 yards away from their school? If they're not that bad, why are we banning them at all? How does "cleaning up" a small area around a school really help?

It's a silly little compromise invented to appease a fringe group.

So you don't think it would be at all inappropriate to have a huge billboard outside a school with a sexually provocative image on it? I get your point about children being able to move 100 yards but something this blatant I really have no problem with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it is kind of paradoxical, but necessary, because......

We still have the Protestant work ethic permeating our society which creates a far less socially relaxed culture than in other countries.

For example:

A 16 year old having a baby in Spain would be tut-tutted at, but the arrival would be welcomed and the family would pitch in.

A 16 year old having a baby in the UK is decried as a fiscal drain and one of the elements that prevents us from having the perfect economy - another ideal which can never be achieved.

Or:

An office worker in Italy has a nap after lunch because they know it increases afternoon productivity, so he can go home when his work is done.

An office worker in the UK misses lunch in order to meet a deadline. Once the deadline's met, more work is thrown on his desk so he goes home thinking about all the new work he has to do tomorrow.

Basically we're too uptight!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you don't think there's an in between?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    I'm always interested how we complete desensitise children to violence, but the human form sparks complete outrage.

I think it's just our (adult) own reservations and embarrassment about such things which is the issue here rather than the need to 'protect' children.

How about protecting them from the carbonated poison that gets marketed directly towards them by multi-billion pound entities?

Very true, surely violence and murder are worse then procreation or the naked human body, yet many parents let their kids play unsuitable video games or watch unsuitable Film/TV.
  • EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems a little silly to me when any kid could turn on a music channel and see a lot worse.
    spkx wrote: »
    Right, because the only place kids go outside is within 100 yards of a school.

^^ These

This whole thing fails so hard.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »

I recall the head of this group was the one that was appointed by the government to look into the sexualisation of children and society.

I said it then and I'll say it now surely appointing such a figure to look into the issue is slightly biased. A bit like asking the Temperance Movement to look into the drinking habits of the public.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Empirical wrote: »
    ^^ These

This whole thing fails so hard.

It's the inch though, soon comes the mile.
    BomoLad wrote: »

It is my belief that these groups feel that adults are too "sexualised" these days but they can't crackdown on that without being laughed at, so they identify what they don't like and then link it with corrupting children to get it banned or restricted.