To upgrade or not?

n1guyn1guy Posts: 1,173
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am entitled to an upgrade at the moment but can't decide if its wise or to just cancel my contract.

I have an SGS2 on Vodafone @ £31 per month, that gets me 300 mins unlimited texts and 500mb data, I use at most 30 mins per month, send about 30 texts use about 400 - 500 mb data so a contract at £30 per month is not much use to me and I want the handset for free.

I could get a budget to mid range phone free on contract but would any of these beat the SGS2 spec wise?

Comments

• CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vodafone, in short are rip off merchants. I pay 3 £36 and get unlimited everything.

As for phone wise, the SGS2 with 4.1.1 is about as good as it gets in the midrange category. However, a £31pm contract will get you the brand new SGS4 next month...
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there is no reason to stay on that contract if it's up. I'm coming the end of a contract S2 too (though on Three), the options as I see it are;

Buy a Nexus 4, get a sim only deal from Three for 10-15 a month.
    Wait for the next Nexus (or similarly priced phone), keep my S2 until then & get a sim only deal in the meantime.

Can't decide myself right now, but that Vodafone deal looks kind of poor compared to Three's offerings. I'd probably go the Nexus 4 route and a £10 a month sim if I were you, you can still get over £100 for your old S2 to go the cost of the new Nexus.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Op, I agree with what the others have said. However if the Vodafone signal is good for you check out what deals Talk Mobile have as they use Vodas signal and are very cheap.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    You say that you want the handset 'for free'. Nothing's free; on a contract, you still pay for the handset. That said, your existing contract sounds crap. Personally, I'd buy a handset and shop around for best SIM only deal. I've just bought a Huawei G300 for £85 and I'm going to drop in an Ovivo SIM at a cost of, er, nothing per month.
  • n1guyn1guy Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only have signal on Vodafone or O2 so thats my 2 choices or any of the other operators that run on their networks. Yep my contracts crap now, but back 2 years ago when the SGS2 came out that was pretty decent. For the minutes etc I use i'd be looking around a £15-£20 tarriff and I don't think any of the free handsets in that range could beat the SGS2
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I missing something here? surely you should get a SIM only deal and keep the phone that you seem to be happy with.... probably get a decent SIM only deal for over half the price you're currently paying....Tesco SIM only (uses O2) at £10 a month
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hell, I've still got my trusty Galaxy S and have moved to Orange's £7/month SIM only contract (150 minutes, 500 texts, 250MB data). I only watch video or stream audio whilst on Wi-Fi and things are working out just fine. Orange's coverage is great since they merged with T-Mobile's network infrastructure.

The Nexus 4 can be bought outright for £239 (8GB) and £279 (16GB) with no SD slot being the only real downside.

If you really must have a contract, look at the S3 (especially once the S4 has been out a while from the end of April) - it's been advertised on £21/month contracts already and would be a natural step up from your S2 (with a better screen and much more poke) plus save you a tenner a month maybe - what's not to like?