Options

Gammon Steaks

swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Heads up for Danish Sizzlers Smoked Gammon Steaks, currently on offer at sainbury at £2 for a pack of two

Delicious..............:D

I haven't had gammon steaks for years and I've got it in my mind that i didn't like them very much

But I'm trying to eat recognisable pieces of meat and fish after the recent scandals so thought I'd try them as they were on special offer and looked like proper slices of meat rather than re-constituted meat shapes

Georgeous...............they taste like what I remember bacon used to taste like in the olden days when there used to be butchers shops...........:eek:...............and bacon consisted of atual thick slices off a pig rather than tissue thin processed meat shapes with injected water and salt

Gammon steaks will definately be on my menu from now on !

Comments

• Options
    SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget a Pineapple ring on top when cooking them! :D In the 1970's Gammon steaks were a real treat for us.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Don't forget a Fried Egg on top when cooking them! :D In the 1970's Gammon steaks were a real treat for us.

There we go, I noticed you'd made a disgusting mistake and felt an overwhelming urge to correct it. :D
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fried egg *and* pineapple - the best of both worlds!
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    havent had gammon steak and pineapple for years used to love it, think that,ll be for dinner next week now :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As it happens I have half a fresh pineapple in the fridge but I never thought of having some with my gammon steak

But now that you mention it, I do remember fried pineapple being a bit of a craze in the 70s

.............and i still have pineapple when make a stir fry...........:D
  • Options
    n1guyn1guy Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Gammon steaks, we have them at least once a month, I love parsley sauce on top :)
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I'm not keen on them for some reason.

I think they're just too salty. Bacon is fine because that's just a few rashers, but gammon steak is a big piece of saltiness.
  • Options
    Ramit BaudeepRamit Baudeep Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I'm not keen on them for some reason.

I think they're just too salty. Bacon is fine because that's just a few rashers, but gammon steak is a big piece of saltiness.

Yeah quite shocking the amount of salt in them. It puts me off buying them.

Havent seen any ones with reduced salt
  • Options
    fatsifatsi Posts: 10,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Fried egg *and* pineapple - the best of both worlds!

I had gammon for my tea last night and had both :) along with mushrooms, chips and peas :D

Also didn't find them too salty at all, got them from Tesco, big chunky ones that were half price.
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    with injected water and salt

I hate to burst your bubble, but I guarantee that the gammon you had was injected with brine for the curing process;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They might be a little bit of a throw back to the 70's but I have always loved them.
    Chips, pineapple, fried egg, mushrooms, peas, grilled tomato and ketchup.
    Sounds like this week's midweek dinner sorted. :)
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah quite shocking the amount of salt in them. It puts me off buying them.

Havent seen any ones with reduced salt

If you cook fresh having gammon once in a while is perfectly healthy and you wont OD on salt.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from a really, really, good piece of sirloin, gammon is is my favourite steak. You really cannot beat it as part of a mixed grill.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once had gammon and chips at a gastro pub about 13 or so years ago and it was the best gammon I ever tasted. Nothing since has been close.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gammon-flaps are nice too. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the preferred way to cook a Gammon steak? Griddle/frying pan, oven?
  • Options
    Ramit BaudeepRamit Baudeep Posts: 442
    Forum Member

Usually the griddle pan on the rare occasion i have gammon steak
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Frying pan for a few minutes on each side then under the grill to crisp it up..............that's how i did it, same as i do with bacon
  • Options
    amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,848
    Forum Member
    Is there a way of cooking gammon to lessen the salt? I'm thinking - gentle poaching? Then maybe using some of the liquor to make a creamy parsley sauce. Would the gammon toughen if poached?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother used to put the gammon steaks into a pyrex dish with lid on, 2 or 3 pineapple rings on top of the steaks, the juice kind of poached/broiled them. Very sweet too, reckon i'll use the griddle pan tomorrow, prefer savoury to sweet. Thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amyawake wrote: »
    Is there a way of cooking gammon to lessen the salt? I'm thinking - gentle poaching? Then maybe using some of the liquor to make a creamy parsley sauce. Would the gammon toughen if poached?

You could soak them for a while before cooking them. I don't see the point in poaching them and then using the liquor to make a sauce - any salt removed from the gammon would just be in the sauce instead.
  • Options
    amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,848
    Forum Member
    orangebird wrote: »
    You could soak them for a while before cooking them. I don't see the point in poaching them and then using the liquor to make a sauce - any salt removed from the gammon would just be in the sauce instead.
    I would just use some of the liquor and top up with milk and cream.

Soaking is an idea. ;)
  • Options
    marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rinse them in cold water and then soak for a few hours, pat them dry,cut slashes in the fat and grill them on high for a few miutes each side..