Options

My theory on who Missy is

Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
Forum Member
✭✭
After thinking of The Doctor's Wife episode. I think Missy might be a rouge element of the TARDIS, and it's teleporting these people just before they die, into a hidden part of the TARDIS. What makes me think this is Deep Breath, she says "Expect to me of course, because he loves so much", and commenting on his accent.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    August called, it wants it's theory back :cool:
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and it's teleporting these people just before they die

While it may have been possible that was the case with Gretchen in Into the Dalek you can hardly say the same for the Police Officer in The Caretaker.
  • Options
    jason81jason81 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    I think all is not what it seems.

Heaven may well be a cyberman upgrade... Heaven is perfect Cybermen want perfection via upgrades.

She is simply the interface people see when they are being converted.

She called the Doctor her Boyfriend as the Doctor has been responsible for many deaths, and thus feels there is a connection to him
  • Options
    Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »

I case you haven't noticed, I'm not a huge poster here. I did look back and couldn't find anything.
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    While it may have been possible that was the case with Gretchen in Into the Dalek you can hardly say the same for the Police Officer in The Caretaker.

Surely anyone (or anything) who can teleport a person out of danger milliseconds before expiring can also teleport a burnt hand (or even a whole fake corpse) back to replace said person.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    I thought that the kind of theories suggesting Missy and her world were not what they seem would have stopped now that they officially confirmed it was the afterlife and the people going there really were dead in last nights episode.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I thought that the kind of theories suggesting Missy and her world were not what they seem would have stopped now that they officially confirmed it was the afterlife and the people going there really were dead in last nights episode.

They didn't really confirm anything, they just gave some names that people might know their realm as. They didn't give away any clues as to what that realm may be, what was outside the window, or who Missy is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We've seen Data Ghosts of people who have died being stored in a giant computer.

The People were dead but the Data Ghosts were not in the Afterlife.

Just cause a bloke behind a desk tells you it's the Afterlife doesn't make it so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They didn't really confirm anything, they just gave some names that people might know their realm as. They didn't give away any clues as to what that realm may be, what was outside the window, or who Missy is.

it's not just the fact that they named it as the afterlife but also the fact that the police officer said 'I don't know how I got away, and the other guy said 'you didn't'. I personally feel the two together don't leave a lot of room for ambiguity. They always give you a bit more info about the arc as the series goes on and this was the extra bit they decided the series was furth enough along that we could now be told.
    Corwin wrote: »

Just cause a bloke behind a desk tells you it's the Afterlife doesn't make it so.
    If a character in that land/world physically telling you it's the afterlife isn't confirmation I don't know what is.

I almost get the impression that people don't want it to be the case but I think the fact that it's the afterlife is quite interesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If a character in that land/world physically telling you it's the afterlife isn't confirmation I don't know what is.

And Donna believed (and was told by a person in that land/ World) that she was living in the 20th/21st Century and was married with two kids.

Yet in reality she was a series of Ones and Zeros in a 51st Century Computer.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    Surely anyone (or anything) who can teleport a person out of danger milliseconds before expiring can also teleport a burnt hand (or even a whole fake corpse) back to replace said person.

Why would they have needed to? No witnesses, no mention again of the body? There is absolutely no need for that level of complexity in that situation. And it seems quite a gigantic leap of (il)logic to come to that! Occam's razor*...

*obviously, as Occam's razor suggests, the more complex solution might ultimately be correct, but with very few details in place, it seems foolish to go with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member

I almost get the impression that people don't want it to be the case but I think the fact that it's the afterlife is quite interesting.

So, if you woke up in a strange place and a man behind a desk told you that it was the afterlife, you'd just take his word for it?

Note to self: potentially the best April Fools joke ever... :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jon_Jones wrote: »
    So, if you woke up in a strange place and a man behind a desk told you that it was the afterlife, you'd just take his word for it?

Note to self: potentially the best April Fools joke ever... :p
    Completely different. Not saying the policeman would have instantly believed it, but we as the audience know there is something going on with missy related to dead people so if someone blatantly states it's the afterlife then why shouldn't it be.

What I don't get is people wondering why I do believe what we were told, when my question to those people is what is such a good reason to not believe it. I can only guess that it actually being the afterlife is different to what people thought it would turn out to be and that's why people are trying to deny the fact that we were given solid information. Not's everythings a double bluff. Often as the series goes on we are given a little more information about the arc, and obviously they thought that half way through was enough to reveal that it is in fact the afterlife.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    If it's the afterlife, I'll eat my hat.

All we know is that characters who are apparently dead are waking up in a strange place and that some other rather untrustworthy characters are claiming that it's the afterlife. This is what we knew at the end of Deep Breath (I don't think anyone thought 'The Promised Land' meant anything else). Nothing's really changed. I'll be hugely surprised and disappointed if it turns out to be the actual afterlife.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Completely different. Not saying the policeman would have instantly believed it, but we as the audience know there is something going on with missy related to dead people so if someone blatantly states it's the afterlife then why shouldn't it be.
    Because we don't know what they mean by the Afterlife. Is it really a Promised Land? Or a computer backup? Is it Purgatory? Limbo? Valhalla? A parallel universe? A shared hallucination of a dying mind?

In a nutshell, 'afterlife' simply means that someone died, yet they have a continued existence. And that is nothing we didn't already know. What we need to know is, what is the nature of this particular life-after-death? And what's the reason for its existence in the show?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I think I've got it! When the Doctor got a new set of regenerations in "The Time Of The Doctor" he cheated death. He should have ended up dying on Trenzalore and have gone to the Nethersphere to be met by Missy. This didn't happen because the Time Lords helped the Doctor out with a whole new set of regenerations, and so Missy is understandably annoyed that her books don't add up! I guess she's going to come looking for the man who stood her up at the pearly gates - one word Doctor - RUN!
  • Options
    breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that scene in the supposedly afterlife had a distinct Dresden Files Ghost Story vibe.
    Maybe Missy is recruiting an army of people in limbo for some unknown reason.
  • Options
    LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm starting to think it's some sort of Silence In The Library-esque data ghost type thing. Meaning that it's a virtual world that these recently dead people get uploaded to.
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob3 wrote: »
    I think I've got it! When the Doctor got a new set of regenerations in "The Time Of The Doctor" he cheated death. He should have ended up dying on Trenzalore and have gone to the Nethersphere to be met by Missy. This didn't happen because the Time Lords helped the Doctor out with a whole new set of regenerations, and so Missy is understandably annoyed that her books don't add up! I guess she's going to come looking for the man who stood her up at the pearly gates - one word Doctor - RUN!

Lol - this is a fabulous theory :) I hope it isn't this simple, but sound logical theory all the same :)
  • Options
    ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »

Yeah this is from a spoilery private conversation I had with someone in another place back when we still couldn't talk about the first five eps around these parts ...

1. Deep Breath
    We don't see the rest of the conversation that takes place between the Doctor and the Half-Faced Man, there has been some further exchange between them prior to the shot of the hat falling that I think we may see later in the series.

The fact that the “Mariantoinette” is the sister ship of the “Madame Du Pompadour” may be relevant, as may the fact the Doctor's face is one he has seen before.

2. Into The Dalek
    The coffee the Doctor was carrying could serve a similar purpose to the mop in "The Big Bang"?

The Doctor left Clara in Glasgow between the events of episodes 1&2 …. I think he's been doing some investigating there of his own after realising the woman in the shop and the ad in the paper were connected, as well as possibly learning something from that unseen conversation with the Half-Faced Man.

We never see Journey Blue's brother, who has supposedly died, but with what happens to other characters like the Half-Faced Man and the character of Gretchen in this episode leads me to think he may have met the same “fate”.

(Also I have been wondering whether Journey could potentially be the next companion, She asks to go with the Doctor and he says no because she's a soldier, but I think Clara's developing relationship with Danny Pink, a former soldier himself, could be the catalyst that leads the Doctor to have changed his attitude to her, and returning her brother could be what brings them into contact again.)

Then there's the miniaturisation in this episode, something which we will see again with the shrinking TARDIS later in the series as seen in set photos.

...and was what Ross swallowed really just a tracker or did the Doctor save him somehow?

3. Robot Of Sherwood
    Another bunch of Robots searching for the “promised land” …. the question is WHY are they searching for it? …. Have they been programmed to? …... Are they possibly looking for Gallifrey?

4. Listen
    Orson Pink would appear to be Clara and Danny's descendant, But what about whatever's outside?
    It reminded me of “Midnight” and to some extent “Silence In The Library/Forest Of The Dead” whatever it was.
    Again there's action involving the Doctor that we don't see on camera, and again I think we could come back to this toward the end of the series.

5. Time Heist
    The “atomic shredders” that turn out to be teleporters made me wonder whether such a device was the means by which characters were being transported to the “Nethersphere” and they aren't actually dying. Maybe even being miniaturised as well as teleported?

So far I'm thinking something like maybe Missy could not be the Big Bad, but could actually be the TARDIS itself, and the Doctor is saving people, (maybe it's something to do with witnessing the meaningless death of that dinosaur in the first episode so soon after his regeneration?).

Whatever the case, I think there's a lot of dead people in this series who aren't actually dead,
  • Options
    ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But we saw the Half Faced man's body.

Good theory otherwise.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Urgh, Missy is just the typical Moffat dominatrix character. Do we really need a rehash of River/Tasha Lem/Irene Adler? How nice it would be to have a powerful female character that doesn't rely on sex appeal; or defy the stereotype by having a male character that relies on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    Urgh, Missy is just the typical Moffat dominatrix character. Do we really need a rehash of River/Tasha Lem/Irene Adler? How nice it would be to have a powerful female character that doesn't rely on sex appeal; or defy the stereotype by having a male character that relies on it.

Sex appeal? Hmmm... eye of the beholder, I think.

http://cdn1.sciencefiction.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Doctor_Who__Who_is_Missy_.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lady_xanax wrote: »

Not always one to defend Moffat, but in this instance I will say that Kate Stewart is a character he has created who is powerful but not in the same way as any of the above characters. She's not even smug, and talk's like a normal person instead in constant quips and one liners. I have a soft spot for river but I really do like Kate Stewart, she is one of Moffat's more original and believable female characters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    I have no idea. Love these theories, thanks!