in-ear headphones

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,375
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I love my new ipod but can't get on with the earphones at all.

I've been thinking about getting some in-ear headphones and am prepared to spend up to £70. So far I've identified the Shure E2c as a possibility...can anyone recommend these, or any others?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Can't go far wrong with Shure ones from what I know of them ....
  • dugqdugq Posts: 4,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never tried the e2c but I've got a pair of e3c and I wasn't overyly impressed. Despite having good bass and warm mids, they were completely lacking in highs. They're good for rock music but anything that requires a clear high-range, jazz for example, wasn't worth listening to. I also found that there was a definite resonance in the mid-range which badly effected female vocals (although thats common for in-ear phones apparently).

In the end I shelled out a bit more cash and went for the etymotic e4p and I absolutely love them, the sound across the whole frequency spectrum is lush. My only fault would be with the design which isn't as convenient as the Shures.

In your price range the etymotic equivalent is the er-6i. I've never used them, although from what I've heard their very similar to the er4p in terms of frequency response. However I've heard the bass response isn't quite as good

One word of warning, for in ear phones to work well, both Shure and the Etys, you need to get a good fit so the phones need to be right in the ear, this can be uncomfortable, although I've gotten used to it. Don't be surprised if when you first try them you wonder what the fuss is about. Until you've gotten the fit right, and that does take practice, they won't sound much cop.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dugq wrote:
    I've never tried the e2c but I've got a pair of e3c and I wasn't overyly impressed. Despite having good bass and warm mids, they were completely lacking in highs. They're good for rock music but anything that requires a clear high-range, jazz for example, wasn't worth listening to. I also found that there was a definite resonance in the mid-range which badly effected female vocals (although thats common for in-ear phones apparently).

In the end I shelled out a bit more cash and went for the etymotic e4p and I absolutely love them, the sound across the whole frequency spectrum is lush. My only fault would be with the design which isn't as convenient as the Shures.

In your price range the etymotic equivalent is the er-6i. I've never used them, although from what I've heard their very similar to the er4p in terms of frequency response. However I've heard the bass response isn't quite as good

One word of warning, for in ear phones to work well, both Shure and the Etys, you need to get a good fit so the phones need to be right in the ear, this can be uncomfortable, although I've gotten used to it. Don't be surprised if when you first try them you wonder what the fuss is about. Until you've gotten the fit right, and that does take practice, they won't sound much cop.

Thanks for that...I was actually pretty set on the E3c as Amazon have reduced them in price, so in a way I'm a bit disappointed that you weren't altogether happy with them, particularly as I listen to a lot of female vocals. The Shure came out on top in the review I read (the E2c got 5 stars) though I can't recall the Etys model...I guess to a large extent it's a personal thing.

Ultimately, I'll just have to take the plunge and maybe upgrade at some point later on.

Cheers again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hiya I have a pair of Sennheiser cx300s which are in ear headphones, had them for 3 months and they work a dream. They cost £40 on Apple store but only around £20 on amazon. hth. (Shure are probably more better but if you want to save some money this may be a good bet).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the suggestion coolgirl...there's too much choice out there but I'll make a decision soon :)
  • RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glad the OP made this thread, as i've got the same problem with ipod earplugs. the left one is great & stays in my ear but the right one keeps coming out & although it doesn't fall out of the ear, it moves & sounds garbage as a result.

my ears must be different shapes :D
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've got some e2c's and love them. take a bit of getting used to getting them in, but once you're used to them they're fantastic. i should have looked around and gotten some e3cs, but just picked them up in the high street.

quick look on amazon, and even full price the e3c's are now £90 when they used to be £140 odd. so if you can pick them up on amazon for £70 i'd say it's a bargain.

Iain
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't get on with those in-ear things at all. All the ones I've tried fall out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read that before you put them in it's a good idea to pull your ears upwards and outwards in order to straighten out the ear canal!
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had some Sennheisers which were OK sonically but were actually too efficient in that I couldn't hear the outside world at all, which is a bit dangerous. However, my brother gave me a pair of Bose in ear phones for Xmas, and those are much better in both respects, although they are prone to falling out.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi there,

I've got the Shure E2C's and I love them.

If you want something better I've heard that it's not worth moving upto the E3C's (as there is not much diffrence between those and the E2C's), but just go straight for the E4C's as these are a lot better.

Also it's important to use the foam buds with the headphones (they come with some rubber ones that are not too good) + make sure you have got a air tight seal as that bass will not be too good if not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    One way of 'improving' the standard iPod earphones is to use Griffin EarJams.

The sound has more bass and is louder.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/earjams/index.php

They clip on to the earphones and turn them into an in-ear design. They come with different sized ear buds. I have friends who swear by them.
  • Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One way of 'improving' the standard iPod earphones is to use Griffin EarJams.

The sound has more bass and is louder.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/earjams/index.php

They clip on to the earphones and turn them into an in-ear design. They come with different sized ear buds. I have friends who swear by them.

Just got all excited then and thought I'd found a solution to my own iPod earphones falling out constantly. Found Griffin Earjams on Amazon at a great price and although only two reviews both were bad. One reviewer mentions that they won't fit the Nano's headphones - different sizes.

Griffin Earjams and Amazon
  • CookieCookie Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't get on with in ear earphones at all. Tried all kinds and they are ok for half an hour or so but really hurt my ears if I use them for a long train journey etc.

Can anyone recommend any good quality, small, lightweight earphones that go on the outside of the ear that are good with an ipod?
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cookie wrote:
    I can't get on with in ear earphones at all. Tried all kinds and they are ok for half an hour or so but really hurt my ears if I use them for a long train journey etc.

Can anyone recommend any good quality, small, lightweight earphones that go on the outside of the ear that are good with an ipod?

It depends how big you want them + how much you want to spend.

I had a go with the Sennheiser HD25 headphones, but decided against them and went for the Shure E2c's in the end, but the HD25's sounded realy good.

They are about £100'ish though, but are great headphone, well built and not too big compaired to the other over ear headphones.
  • dreamfishdreamfish Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sennheiser are the best - i got a pair of ear-buds off ebay for cheaper than in the shops - a lot cheaper to be precise! they come with 3 different size buds so you can change to suit your ear!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    I had Etymonic (ER6 I think) for about 2 years and found them very good. However, one channel stopped working. The wires were very delicate and I suspect there was an internal break.

I now have Shure E4Cs which seem more substantial. The noise isolation was better on the Etymonic but my ears tended to overheat ! The Shure are more comfortable but don't cut out noise quite as much in my view but that could be down to the type of bud I'm using. I haven't yet experimented with the different types supplied.

Sound quality is good on both.
  • Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm using Sony's EX71 earbuds which cost about £20-£25, the sound is very good, bass is fantastic and they stay in my ears which is why I bought a spare pair. Sennheiser are pretty good, had a pair that came with my Freecom Beatman II but sennheiser cost a lot more than Sony.