Parking in front of driveways

Comments

• HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    agreed , but ............ , i was sat in the car , how hard would it have beem to ask poitely to move so they could get out :rolleyes:

I see your point, but this sort of thing might have been happening every day for months! In my case, it only happened about once or twice a week, but went on for months. I used to get really angry when I got home from work or from a night out, and had to cruise the streets to find a parking space, when I was already paying for one! Can you imagine how annoying it would be if, every time you wanted leave your own drive, you had to ask someone else to move! I'm not saying she was right to fly off the handle, I'm just saying that sometimes it is understandable.
  • supercoolsupercool Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oulandy wrote: »
    What you did is what is sometimes called taking a liberty. It is bound to enrage the owner of the drive.

If you are likely to be "enraged" at somebody parking in front of your drive then I think you might have anger issues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HollyC wrote: »
    I see your point, but this sort of thing might have been happening every day for months!

If you have a problem with people parking in front of your drive and it annoys you that much then the answer is simple - get your drive dipped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oulandy wrote: »
    I remember once years ago coming out and finding someone who had done something like parking across the drive and it has always stuck with me that the young man concerned said to me "I'm sorry if I have caused you any trouble". That was a truly courteous person. Why can't more people be that amiable when they do something that is likely to wind up someone?

I have a very simple policy - politeness towards me is repaid with politeness in kind. Rudeness towards me is repaid with, well not necessarily rudeness but you are likely to get ignored very quickly.
  • Guru TartGuru Tart Posts: 5,008
    Forum Member
    supercool wrote: »
    Well perhaps you need to revise what you believe. Unless of course you can find the appropriate law and provide a citation to such law in which case fair enough.

Well I'm sure it is because I know near my parents house a taxi driver used to park his car and his van on opposite sides of the road and it was said it was an obstruction. We contacted the police who went to the man's house, gave him a fine and he never did it again.

I am sure it is the law.

Either way though, it is extremely rude and inconsiderate to disallow somebody entrance to their own drive. I would have assumed no individual would want to do this because they would be inhibiting access to somebody's house, so where it is illegal or not, it should not be done, out of courtesy, respect and one's own dignity and integrity.
    Forum Member
    If you are likely to be "enraged" at somebody parking in front of your drive then I think you might have anger issues.

Not necessarily! I think a lot of people can be pushed to their limit if this sort of thing keeps happening over and over again. The OP might have only done it once, but that does not mean that it is the only time it has happened to her. It may be that, because he was there in the car and an available scapegoat, he got the brunt of her anger that has been building up over a period of time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guru Tart wrote: »
    Well I'm sure it is because I know near my parents house a taxi driver used to park his car and his van on opposite sides of the road and it was said it was an obstruction. We contacted the police who went to the man's house, gave him a fine and he never did it again.

I am sure it is the law.

Simply thinking something is "the law" doesn't make it so. Like I said, cite me the relevant law.

The situation describe doesn't sound anything like this situation I wasn't obstructing the highway, just his driveway which as I said, was not dipped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not necessarily! I think a lot of people can be pushed to their limit if this sort of thing keeps happening over and over again. The OP might have only done it once, but that does not mean that it is the only time it has happened to her. It may be that, because he was there in the car and an available scapegoat, he got the brunt of her anger that has been building up over a period of time.

That is still no excuse for losing your temper in such a way over a minor inconvenience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats no excuse for his actions though. From what supercool has described of the situation this man was following him and if he had not pulled over before he reached him, he could have caused an accident due to his anger issues (which is all I can call it really), by possibly forcing him off the road.
    Plenty of things done repeatedly get on my goat but I don't go round threatening and frightening people. Why should this guy be let off or even understood for behaving like that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Either way though, it is extremely rude and inconsiderate to disallow somebody entrance to their own drive. I would have assumed no individual would want to do this because they would be inhibiting access to somebody's house, so where it is illegal or not, it should not be done, out of courtesy, respect and one's own dignity and integrity.

Come off it. Like I said, if the only place I can park is in front of somebody elses house and I can legally do so then I will do. After all, if you are visiting somebody then surely you are going to be parked outside somebody's house whereever you park? You do not have an automatic entitlement to the space outside your house. I pay my road tax and have as much right to park there as anybody else.
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is not about me personally. People generally are annoyed by inconsiderate parking and anti-social behaviour.

It is a matter of social awareness and consideration, so you know to consider the effect on people living there and how they are likely to feel. So you avoid annoying or obstructing people and you avoid aggro for yourself as well.
  • boozer3boozer3 Posts: 2,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a problem with people parking in front of your drive and it annoys you that much then the answer is simple - get your drive dipped.

Unfortunately that doesn't always stop people. The bloke in your case didn't really have an argument as he was parked illegally. Parking where I live until this year was never really a problem but with lots of new residents there seem to be an awful lot more cars and visitors. People will just park across other's drives even though they have dropped kerbs THEY have payed a lot of money for. There are a lot of rude inconsiderate people out there. So I can see how people can get so wound up, but he should have just asked you to move.

I suppose it depends on how neighbourly people are too. people coming to our house will knock at the neibours house and ask if they mind them parking over their drive if there is no space and most say it's fine, they often ask too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlurAlly wrote: »
    Thats no excuse for his actions though. From what supercool has described of the situation this man was following her (sorry or him) and if she/he had not pulled over before he reached her he could have caused an accident due to his anger issues (which is all I can call it really), by possibly forcing her off the road.
    Plenty of things done repeatedly get on my goat but I don't go round threatening and frightening people. Why should this guy be let off or even understood for behaving like that?

I am a he by the way ;)

The way I look at it, the only thing that I have done "wrong" here is cause somebody a temporary, minor inconvenience. If you think that warrants the kind of aggressive/threatening reaction that I got, especially seeing as I had already tried to avoid an unnecessary confrontation by driving away, then perhaps you have issues as well?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a he by the way ;)

Ah sorry! And yes I agree with you. No justification for his actions. I can't understand unnecessary aggression.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boozer3 wrote: »
    Unfortunately that doesn't always stop people.

No, but at least in this case they are most definitely the person in the wrong.
    but he should have just asked you to move.

The thing is, I was leaving anyway and would have been gone quicker if he hadn't insisted on holding onto my window while I tried to shut it.
    I suppose it depends on how neighbourly people are too. people coming to our house will knock at the neibours house and ask if they mind them parking over their drive if there is no space and most say it's fine, they often ask too.

If I'd planned on staying there then I would have done so - in fact I would have tried to find somewhere else to park anyway.
    Forum Member
    That is still no excuse for losing your temper in such a way over a minor inconvenience.

Ever heard of chinese water torture? OK, I'm not likening this to torture, but what I'm saying is that a minor inconvenience, if repeated often enough, can become a major inconvenience. The guy I blocked into my parking space hadn't parked there before (he was visiting someone who had just moved in to the block), but I had had enough of other people parking there, that he was just the last straw.
    You said that politeness towards you is repaid with politeness back - how polite is it to block someone else's driveway just because it is convenient to you, regardless of how inconvenient it is to them?:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You said that politeness towards you is repaid with politeness back - how polite is it to block someone else's driveway just because it is convenient to you, regardless of how inconvenient it is to them?:rolleyes:

The thing is, I don't buy this whole "its impolite" rubbish. Like I said I had as much right to park there as anybody else and because it was the only space available I took it. And if he had been polite then I would have been polite back.

And as I said, your situation is different because it was your paid-for, private space. This was a public highway and I too pay for my right to be there through tax.
  • SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Come off it. Like I said, if the only place I can park is in front of somebody elses house and I can legally do so then I will do. After all, if you are visiting somebody then surely you are going to be parked outside somebody's house whereever you park? You do not have an automatic entitlement to the space outside your house. I pay my road tax and have as much right to park there as anybody else.

I think you said the parking space was marked - so contact the council and say what happened and that they should contact the man and tell him to sort his drive out (get a dropped curb) then they might remove the parking markings for him. Or if he doesn't then tough....people will continue to be able to legally park there and block him, if its not you it will just be someone else.

The bloke may have only concreted over his front garden a few weeks ago though I suppose (although his temper would suggest not!)....adding to the increasing flooding problems in urban areas tut tut.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supercell wrote: »
    I think you said the parking space was marked.

Yes - the roads around my parents are very narrow and there are markings across the whole estate to indicate that you can park up on the pavement to allow cars to pass (the parking bay markings are half on the road and half on the pavement).
  • maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a dropped kerb leading to my driveway and double yellow lines my side of the road and opposite where there is a school. Cars regularly park outside my house to go to the shop 150 yards away, or to drop their kids off in the morning. It drives me nuts..... Sometimes people abandon their cars partially obstructing the drive and blocking me in. It is just plain selfish to do this.
    Some of the parents dropping their kids off give me 'the look' when I am trying to exit my driveway, which as you can imagine kind of annoys me.
    Forum Member

But you are referring to outside the drive, which is different.

Anyway, don't do it. That's my advice. It's rude. Outside the house, yes, outside the drive, no.

What if they have kids, a family, old people, disabled.

Is it ok to park outside the drive or the house?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it ok to park outside the drive or the house?

Both, as long as it is legal to do so (no dipped curb, yellow/red lines etc.). Like I said, there are markings clearly indicating that it is a parking space. So I parked there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if they have kids, a family, old people, disabled.

As I've said several times now, if it is that important for them to have their driveway accessible, then they should get their kerb dipped. As somebody has already pointed out, you are technically breaking the law if you do not have a dipped kerb and drive over the pavement to access your drive.
    Forum Member
    I don't agree but go with what you feel.

It's unfair to park in front of a drive but if they don't mind, fine but if they do, I wouldn't do it and find elsewhere. It's their home, their livelihood, their peace of mind.

I'd hate it if somebody did that to me.
    Forum Member
    Quick question, is it illegal to park in front of somebody's driveway, when they have a car parked on it, even though they don't have a dipped curb and the road markings clearly indicate that it is a legal parking space?

As I said earlier, a guy did it near my parents house and he was fined. Take a look at this:

There is a motor vehicle parked across the access to my driveway ("cross-over"). What can you do about it?

This depends on the particular situation although the council has powers to issue a Penalty Charge Notice to the vehicle if certain criteria are met. Please call our Enforcement Line on (020) 8744 0462 (Monday to Saturday 7.00am to 9.00pm) where your details will be taken and if appropriate an Enforcement Officer (a Parking Attendant) will be sent to investigate and take action where allowed. Please note that we are unable to move the vehicle and if this is necessary you should contact the Metropolitan Police.

http://www.richmond.gov.uk/home/transport_and_streets/motor_vehicles_roads_and_parking/parking/content-parking_frequently_asked_questions/illegal_or_nuisance_parking_questions.htm

also this:

What the law says

Under the highway law, it is illegal to park a vehicle so that it obstructs other people wanting to use a road or path. It is also illegal to obstruct a private entrance.

Police have enforcement powers and can issue fixed penalty tickets, but officers are usually busy attending to other more serious crimes.

Users of a private entrance can take a civil action for nuisance against people causing a persistent obstruction, but this process can be lengthy, expensive and unpleasant.

http://www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/Transport/Motorvehicles/driveway.htm

Make of that what you will but it highlights my experience as illegal. If you like, I know a few people who work in the police and I can contact my lawyers tomorrow as well. As I said earlier, to re-iterate the illegal basis and why.

Say for instance they have an emergency. Somebody is ill, extremely ill, dying and you are blocking access to the house... then what?

It's reason I guess and in this case it's reasonable not to do it. There must be space elsewhere.