Options

Channel 4 new Freeview space

Just seen this on BBC website:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6114476.stm

What do we think it will be? If Channel 4 say it won't be More4+1, will it be a totally new channel? I wonder because if they did launch a new channel, what would it be? They have channels for pretty much everything!

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bump bump...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    film 4 +1 is a possibility, wouldnt mind that as i often find myself missing the begining of the 9pm films
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to mediaguardian the options given were: a comedy channel, a T4 channel or a US channel. Andy Duncan didnt like them so asked for more ideas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Weren't they considering making E4 music 24 hours on one of their new channels.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    Does anybody know if this new channel which, apparently, is an exciting addition to Freeview, will be exclusive to Freeview?
  • Options
    alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Does anybody know if this new channel which, apparently, is an exciting addition to Freeview, will be exclusive to Freeview?

I would be very surprised. It would alienate a lot of potential viewers and freeview bandwidth is by far the dearest out of freeview/sat/cable (hence why freeview loses a lot of the +1 channels).

The only advantage to a freeview exclusive channel is to boost freeview sales - something that has no benefit to C4.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread should be in the Terrest forums
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member

Supposedly, due to the popularity of E4 Music since it started. But the problem is, if they launch a standalone version they will have another 8 hours of E4 to fill, and that was the whole point of it in the first place - to fill the gap in the schedule left by BB!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CRIM NO1 wrote:
    This thread should be in the Terrest forums

There's threads on this littered everywhere - including Terrestrial and Broadcasting.

Maybe a merge is in order? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,259
    Forum Member
    I really hope it's not a T4 channel.
    The presenters have to be some of the most annoying people I've ever seen.

Besides, T4 just shows Channel4/E4 stuff anyway.
  • Options
    pgogbornpgogborn Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the short term it seems as if it will be Film4+1
    Digital terrestrial viewers will have access to Film4+1, the timeshifted version of Film4, from November 16th on Freeview channel 32 (previously Quiz Call). >
    http://community.channel4.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3696002921/m/1950058466
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    pgogborn wrote:
    In the short term it seems as if it will be Film4+1

Quite disappointed to find out this is correct. Was hoping for something new on Freeview. Aah well, Film4 +1 might come in handy I guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quite disappointed to find out this is correct. Was hoping for something new on Freeview. Aah well, Film4 +1 might come in handy I guess.

Like the above poster said, make no mistake - this is only a short term solution.

I imagine they'll launch a proper new channel sometime next year and probably ITV too if recent reports are anything to go by.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I just noticed Film 4+1 on my box (scans automatically)
  • Options
    POLO 1POLO 1 Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    Would've been nice to have something with a sporting theme, I think :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    POLO 1 wrote:
    Would've been nice to have something with a sporting theme, I think :(

As has been mentioned elsewhere, Film4+1 is almost certainly only temporarily filling the slot until C4 prepares and launches a new channel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    yeah.. Ch4 + 1 :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    glad to see one o the dreadful quiz chanels go of course from free view -
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I really don't think Channel 4 should be trying to think of another channel to spread their content over.

I would prefer it if they rented out the space to another channle, such as Paramount, Hallmark, LivingTV, but I guess they are competitors, so that will never happen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Yes, its Film4+1. Personally I think these +1 channels are a waste of bandwidth!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alternate wrote:
    I would be very surprised. It would alienate a lot of potential viewers and freeview bandwidth is by far the dearest out of freeview/sat/cable (hence why freeview loses a lot of the +1 channels).

The only advantage to a freeview exclusive channel is to boost freeview sales - something that has no benefit to C4.

What do you mean 'No benefit'? C4 are the major player on Freeview (with the BBC). Freeview has a far more limited (though generally the cream of the crop) selection of channels, so C4 in particular will get better viewing figures from Freeviewers who have no other digital source than they do from Sly or NTHell. Surely more viewers is a benefit for C4? I can't see why it wouldn't be.

C4 have more space than they know what to do with. F4 has loads of wasted time. E4+1 has been a placeholder for ages. F4+1 is the most useful of the +1s, due to the low coverage of F4, but it does mean there's duplicated wasted space from F4. What does More4 do in the daytime? If that has wasted space too, then there's another lump.

C4 need to think about a whole load of extra content. Time to get creative, chaps. To fund it, perhaps the government could channel a fraction of the cash being wasted on tragically shooting Arabs into something useful?
  • Options
    Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Realistically C4 is only using ~50% of its slots on Freeview for original programming. I think they should save money and get rid of their Mux C and D slots and use the cash to improve programming on the others.

Unless they are holding onto the slots to stop them falling into the hands of their competitiors? A bit like BSkyB's investment in ITV?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Realistically C4 is only using ~50% of its slots on Freeview for original programming. I think they should save money and get rid of their Mux C and D slots and use the cash to improve programming on the others.

Unless they are holding onto the slots to stop them falling into the hands of their competitiors? A bit like BSkyB's investment in ITV?

Could be a new entry in the dictionary there :-)

doing a 'BSkyB': undermining potential competition by purchasing a stake in it.

;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    It's a shame they don't rent their downtime out to other channels that aren't competition, e.g the community channel/Teachers TV/other news networks etc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I really miss Men & Motors, and hope it comes back to Freeview at some point in the future. Either that or a channel very much like it (bloke channel!).