If you knew someone was lying about having cancer would you tell them?

1235»

Comments

• Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say nothing, partly on the off-chance that it was true, and because jobs are not easy to find especially in this recession, so if I had one I'd be being very careful not to get involved in any aggro at work just incase the managers were looking to reduce their staff.
    :)
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point would be is she faking it, or does she believe she has cancer

I assume I have a heart problem, slow heart, but nothing has ever been found, but I believe I have a problem
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You believe the woman to be a liar. So far she has said she's had a hysterectomy, evidence says otherwise, can't have children, then miraculously says she has a son, who then turns out to be her cousin. Now she says she has cancer of the stomach and you believe she is lying about this too.

I'd stay away from the woman, I wouldn't have anything to do with her. Look at the appalling lies she has told, she could be capable of somehow dragging you into her deceit and causing you problems if you chose to confront her over the cancer. She's told one of the ultimate lies, people who do this don't care what they lie about as long as they gain attention.

I'd take some comfort in at least you are wise to her and can choose whether or not to listen and give her an audience.

Me, I'd keep quiet but keep away from her, I wouldn't even bother looking at the woman. Let your work deal with her, she will get found out eventually, she can only get away with the lying for so long.

I'm just going to say that I agree with this post and that avoiding her seems like the best option OP. Failing that I would go with another poster suggested and make subtle hints that you don't believe her story, rather than be blunt about it, she'll soon pick up on it.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I'd call her on it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,134
    Forum Member
    Hello:)

I know lying about cancer is wrong but what would drive a person to do that- drop the C bomb?

Aren't they suffering anyway- from some other 'other'

Should they not receive sympathy anyway?
  • katinthehatkatinthehat Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I knew someone who lied to gain attention for herself. With her it was her 'Boyfriends' who developed cancer or met a tragic end. It was very weird because her stories seemed to get more unbelievable each time and she actually thought we would believe them.
    I know she had big problems and needed professional help but I just thought of her as a total freak and couldn't find sympathy within me to understand her.
    Ps. Turned out the boyfriends were never real either. Sad!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,658
    Forum Member
    On a slightly related note...what if you suspected (well, pretty much knew) that someone on here had invented a whole fictional life for themselves? Do you call them on it (and would that in some way breach the T&C) or just let them get on with it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,134
    Forum Member
    squidsin wrote: »
    On a slightly related note...what if you suspected (well, pretty much knew) that someone on here had invented a whole fictional life for themselves? Do you call them on it (and would that in some way breach the T&C) or just let them get on with it?

Hello:)

I say- let them have their small pleasures.

And who is to say a regular li8fe is not full of lies anyway- about importance, significance and relevance.

The most righteous life, has fiction- exaggeration and misconception.
  • ebjeebeebjeebe Posts: 7,810
    Forum Member
    I'm interested to know if there is an outcome to this thread. Have been reading through the thread with my mouth like this > :eek:

For what it's worth OP, I would NOT be approaching this woman. If she is that unhinged that she would make something like this up, what is stopping her from dragging you into the lies. Let her tie herself in knots but don't let her drag you down with her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,449
    Forum Member
    My ex told me he had a brain tumour. Its one of the reasons he is now an ex.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    Health issues of WORK colleagues are not your issue? Idem ethnicity, sexuality, random promiscuity, nerdy hobbies... whatever. They do the WORK, they get PAID. Why doesn't "Britain" start working, instead of worrying what everyone else is doing/getting. Who knows, we might get out of recession... :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    ebjeebe wrote: »
    I'm interested to know if there is an outcome to this thread. Have been reading through the thread with my mouth like this > :eek:

For what it's worth OP, I would NOT be approaching this woman. If she is that unhinged that she would make something like this up, what is stopping her from dragging you into the lies. Let her tie herself in knots but don't let her drag you down with her.

I'll give you all an update either next saturday or sunday because I go on holiday for a week tonight and I wont see her until then. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    nitpick wrote: »
    Health issues of WORK colleagues are not your issue? Idem ethnicity, sexuality, random promiscuity, nerdy hobbies... whatever. They do the WORK, they get PAID. Why doesn't "Britain" start working, instead of worrying what everyone else is doing/getting. Who knows, we might get out of recession... :p

It became an issue when she wouldn't leave me alone and kept talking to me about it. :)
  • rufnek2k6rufnek2k6 Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy them wigs,
    Get them loads of marketing material from life insurance, will making, funeral arrangements etc.

Sooner or later, they will 'fess up
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only if I was totally certain of my facts:)
  • BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell her you want to organise a charity event for sufferers of stomach cancer and tell her you want her to present a cheque to her oncologist. You could say she could invite all her family, fellow patients and press along to support it. If she's really lying, she wouldn't be too happy that the lie could be exposed by something like that and if she isn't - then her local hospital still benefits.
  • spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrsOggy wrote: »
    My ex told me he had a brain tumour. Its one of the reasons he is now an ex.

Why because he is dead? :)

Is this woman 'fibbing' to her family as well? If the op knows any on them it might be a way of finding out the truth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This bings back memories. My OH´s mate turned up a few years ago after he had not seem him for 5years, and at my house then told us he has cancer. As he was a hard drinker of whisky since he was 16 (15 years later) we thought he would have cirosis of the liver by now so this was still woah! My OH went under and had a hard time accepting it. I gave this mate a lift home and he dragged me in and then told his Mum and Step Dad in front of me and made me say yes, this is true.

His family weren´t sure whether to believe him as he is a compulsive liar and they hav had enough of his lies over the years but this one topped everything. He had me calling the local cancer hospital getting a fund raising pack.

We found out it was all lies and my OH told him that if he ever saw him again he would knock him out after what he put him through, all the upset.

We recently found him on Facebook and added him just to se what other narcasistic crap he was spouting to who and where he was living. He acted like nothing happened and said he was doing good for a dead man, haha, (WTF??) He was aking why we weren´t saying a proper hello, just ribbing him. ARGHHHHH Told him as long as he never turns up on our door step we just want to see what bull he is living and laugh from afar.

I also temped in a childrens hospital and there was a girl in and there was currenly an investigtion by Social Services as her Mother has munhousens by proxy (spelling?) as the girl was already disabled, she was being put through all sorts by her mother claiming she was sick and the mother was actually giving the girl tablets to make her so, very sad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,449
    Forum Member
    spoty wrote: »
    Why because he is dead? :)

Is this woman 'fibbing' to her family as well? If the op knows any on them it might be a way of finding out the truth.

he is alive and perfectly well. maybe not his mental health but his physical health.