Whats the worst Xmas present you have given...

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    stephmcuk wrote: »
    I remember getting a top off my autie when i was 11 aged 6-7 ... it was ugly and useless.

Same here that was also the worst present I have ever received for christmas. My auntie who's quite into fashion got me this murky white and black stripy t-shirt when I was 10, she got the wrong age think it was aged 8-9. It must have been washed a few times because it was very small. She must have been taking the piss somehow because there was no way she'd buy it, even for her daughter (who's a year younger than me). I got the impression it was something that someone else had worn, as she has loads of sisters who have children so it was probably from them. Needless to say, I never wore the top..
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,892
    Forum Member
    I remember receiving a set of coathangers from my mother one Christmas...... WHEN I WAS 8!!!
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst I had was from my (now deceased) sister-in-law. It was a necklace but I am convinced she'd won it from one of those grabbing machines, as the chain was so thin it broke on the first day. She also gave me a small notebook one year, she had left the price on - it was 20p.

The worst present I gave was a battery operated toothbrush to an ex-boyfriend. A friend convinced me it was a good present. He dumped me soon afterwards, I wonder why.
  • ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once received a nose hair trimmer from my eldest sister (who has a few strange ideas at the best of times). I managed to sell it on eBay for a few quid. :cool:

Not totally useless but I did get some blank 90 minute blank cassette tapes as a 'stocking filler'. Thanks, mum. :rolleyes:
  • Moany LizaMoany Liza Posts: 22,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    4711, it's bloody rubbish isn't it!!

Yup!! :p:D
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    lionsof66 wrote: »
    I bought my girlfriend in 6th form a lovely silver bracelet, that cost me about 50-60 quid IIRC.

She bought me the The Rainbow 30th Aniversary DVD :o:confused::D

She wore it all the time, long after we broke up. In fact I bumped into her recently and noticed she had it on (broke up over 7 years ago, so she must have liked it).

The DVD is still in the celophane :o

Should give it to the charity shop or ebay! Mum told me once to wrap up some clothes pegs for a friend of hers. Luckily she saw the funny side :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    My Auntie once gave me one slipper. My sister also got one slipper....... they were both right feet so we couldnt even make a pair and share them!
    Forum Member
    starrs wrote: »
    My Auntie once gave me one slipper. My sister also got one slipper....... they were both right feet so we couldnt even make a pair and share them!

Dunno how she'd manage to do that! Were they even the same size? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    The worst present I have ever gotten was those newspaper DVD's of my grandmother back in 2007 that I previously rejected back in 2004 because I had some of them anyway. Gave them to the charity shop in the end.
  • Kittycat73Kittycat73 Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    <snip>
    Nother time she gave me a pair of tights off the market. They were cheap American Tan ones and when I opened the packet - I kid you not - they had 3 legs.

Lol! I'm sorry but that really made me laugh! :D
    My Mother is a bit "strange", about 15 years ago I had to sign on the dole and it took weeks to process my claim, during which time I had no money, and her birthday came around, so funnily enough I didn't buy her anything. To this day she's never forgiven me for that and never buys me anything for my birthday or Christmas, stating that I've never given her anything.

Lies, it was only that one year I didn't give her anything.

Anyhoos, one Christmas (the rest of my family are religious, even though I'm not) I got her a present. Christmas morning, there's no present for me, she didn't open her present - after all I don't give her a present, so clearly there was nothing for her. When someone else pointed out that there's a present there for you, she opened it and was quite delighted, but had no idea who it was from until my sister in law told her ....

A few hours later I'm clearing up the devastation and something falls out of the piles of paper - a pair of support tights. Which is what my mother hurriedly wrapped in a scrap of used paper to give me as a present. They were a paid she'd bought for herself, but hadn't worn yet :rolleyes:

Worst present I gave someone wasn't a bad present as such, i bought a flying lesson [each] for two of my siblings. Neither of them went. Neither of them told me they weren't/hadn't taken the lesson and the vouchers expired (I could have used them myself), cost me the best part of €400 :mad:

Another time I gave a sister-in-law a €100 voucher for a store (I didn't know her well enough to buy her an actual present see) she just stared at me. Didn't give me anything ...

I buy my siblings and my in-laws something from a charity shop these days, not wasting my money on them ever again!

I'm so sorry to hear your family treated you like that Lobelia. :( That's never called for. I hope you are now surrounded by people you love, and who love you back. :)
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An LP by a group I had never heard of, by my sister who got it free from her work.

Just vying with 2 little bronze guns, which the same sister gave me the following year!...:eek:

After that, I told my family to stop buying me crimbo pressies.
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    My MIL once gave me a box of chocolates as Christmas present that we had previously bought her as an Easter gift .

Basically when anyone gives her a gift she puts it in a cupboard ( which I have seen) and then gives them out as gifts to people that she doesn't really like. I've also been given size 16 knickers ( I was a size 10), and one of those little hand size bean bags that you get in primary school?!?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once got a bottle of wine and a wine glass.... I dont drink!
    Forum Member
    ProgRocker wrote: »
    I once received a nose hair trimmer from my eldest sister (who has a few strange ideas at the best of times). I managed to sell it on eBay for a few quid. :cool:

Not totally useless but I did get some blank 90 minute blank cassette tapes as a 'stocking filler'. Thanks, mum. :rolleyes:

How many years ago was that?
  • lionsof66lionsof66 Posts: 4,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    Jeez, I hope you were the one who intiated the break up. :D

I was, and it wasn't too long after Christmas eithier :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Every year one of my friends gets the joke present.

One of my female friends was upset as, having slept with two blokes within a week when very drunk, neither of whom could keep their mouths shut, she got called a **** at the pub just before Christmas. So I gave her a big pack of condoms and some lube for Christmas.

When another friend was young he once pooed himself in class. Ever since everyone called him "Klinkers" for years. Scroll forward 15 years and we're all having a laugh about it one evening, so I buy him two nice packets of moist toilet tissue for his Christmas.

My brother and his partner went through a phase where they were always arguing, and even came to blows a couple of times. So they got giant blow up boxing gloves that year. They've thankfully split up now.
  • Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kittycat73 wrote: »
    I'm so sorry to hear your family treated you like that Lobelia. :( That's never called for. I hope you are now surrounded by people you love, and who love you back. :)

Thanks, and no, I'm not surrounded by anyone, my family are still there, and still being gits to me ...

Oh and I forgot a former GF of one of my brothers was clearly given money and asked to buy something for me for Christmas, she gave me this item of clothing that I can't even describe, it wasn't a dress and it wasn't a skirt, it was a sort of smock thing like they wear in Little House on the Prairie - I no idea where she got it, I never saw anyone else wearing one, and worse it was about 4 sizes too small ... anyone who knows me knows I wear jeans and t-shirts, so **** knows what she was doing buying me that garment!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My birthday is in April. In November I received a flannel Union Jack steering-wheel cover. I don't know why she bothered! November's closer to my next birthday to the one she missed! :confused:
    Forum Member
    Thanks, and no, I'm not surrounded by anyone, my family are still there, and still being gits to me ...

Oh and I forgot a former GF of one of my brothers was clearly given money and asked to buy something for me for Christmas, she gave me this item of clothing that I can't even describe, it wasn't a dress and it wasn't a skirt, it was a sort of smock thing like they wear in Little House on the Prairie - I no idea where she got it, I never saw anyone else wearing one, and worse it was about 4 sizes too small ... anyone who knows me knows I wear jeans and t-shirts, so **** knows what she was doing buying me that garment!

Not even sure where you get clothes like that! I don't think I'd wear it either, I mostly wear jeans and t-shirts as well. Well maybe for Halloween or a fancy dress party but that's all.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have vivid memories of the Christmas when my dad gave my mother a Jane Fonda workout video and a Weightwatchers cookbook. That was a fun year.
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    I have vivid memories of the Christmas when my dad gave my mother a Jane Fonda workout video and a Weightwatchers cookbook. That was a fun year.

What was your mother's reaction? bet she wasn't amused!
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have several times been given ear rings for pierced ears and my ears aren't pierced.

The first Christmas after I was married, my mother-in-law gave a wonderful present to my husband and I to share between us. It was a big heavy and very old baking tray, she said we might be able to make roast potatoes better in it.

My husband as a little boy of about 8 was given a comb by his aunt, the only problem was that it had some teeth missing and some hair in it!

My son aged 5 was given a book about Father Christmas. Unfortunately there were two big problems, one was that it was inscribed "To my little niece" and it was supposed to have pages in the middle to make a cardboard Father Chrismas and reindeer, but these had been taken out. I imagine it was bought at a jumble sale.

My husband was once given a small blow-up pink panther. It makes you wonder what people are thinking.
  • MagwashMagwash Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was once given by my (then) mother-in-law, a horrible glass birds nest complete with hook. She obviously thought I'd love it, so I feel bad.

My most random present was the mother of said MIL the first xmas my ex were together, was 4 pound coins in a little cardboard box. Like I say, odd, but not meaning to sound ungrateful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    When I was 14 one of my aunts, with whom we are close, gave me one plain die - there was nothing special about it and it wasn't a collectible or anything. It was just a die all wrapped up in Xmas paper. The die also looked oldish as if it had been grabbed from an old board game set. I was never a fan of board games neither :confused::eek: My brother got the Beezer and Dandy annuals. :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    At age 19 I had been seeing this girl for 7-8 months when Christmas came round. I remember not knowing what to get as I didn't want to appear too keen but at the same time didn't want to appear too cold. We'd been together for a while, but we were just 19, students etc. Typical dilemma. Anyway, following advise form a few female friends I went for some jewellery, nothing too expensive nothing too cheap, something which was "right" according to my female friends. Bought her an item which cost me £60-70 - being a student at the time, and considering it is over ten years ago, I think it might have bordered on the expensive considering.

Christmas comes and we exchange gifts,. She had gotten me a novelty mug which had the word STUDENT in bold red across it (she forgot to peel the 99p label off it too). A few weeks after Christmas she broke up with me. She told me she was breaking up to get back with her old boyfriend and she had wanted to wait till after Christmas to tell. At least it explained the Novelty mug I thought!