Chris Evans interviewing Ricky Gervais on The One Show

cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did anyone else think it was totally inappropriate when Chris Evans said to Ricky Gervais: "I think you should have a kid," right out of the blue. :confused: Ricky handled it well, making a joke and (quite rightly) not engaging with this intrusive and out-of-order comment. What was he supposed to say in reply?...Was Chris expecting him to say "Uh, OK, I'll think about it then," or give him an explanation as to why he doesn't have kids?

OK, I know Ricky isn't everyone's cup of tea, but this isn't about the person on the receiving end, it's about a completely inappropriate comment from a presenter who seems to think "interviewing a guest" means "volunteering one's own unsolicited opinion about their private life!" Even Jonathan Ross doesn't go that far!

Comments

• RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    They're probably mates anyway and used to chitchat like this all the time.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did Ricky do that hilarious bit where he pretends to be an arrogant git, and then tell about how succesful he is?
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there's much you could say to someone who makes jokes at the expense of teenage cancer patients that I'd say was 'inappropriate'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gervais is such a delicate flower
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    I don't think there's much you could say to someone who makes jokes at the expense of teenage cancer patients that I'd say was 'inappropriate'.

Link Please?

I think your typing what you think you've heard. Ricky wouldn't do anything like that. People seem to miss his humour by a country mile.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a bit much from Chris, maybe, but this is Gervais we're dealing with here! He deserves any question that gets thrown at him IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Link Please?

I think your typing what you think you've heard. Ricky wouldn't do anything like that. People seem to miss his humour by a country mile.

It was on this DVD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ricky-Gervais-Live-Fame-DVD/dp/B000NQDE0Y

And if so many people 'miss his humour by a country mile' perhaps the problem is with him and the way he expresses himself rather than with everyone who watches or listens to him.
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But this isn't about whether we like Gervais or not (I'm not keen on him myself); it's about whether an interviewer should make such personal and intrusive remarks when they have no idea what someone's personal circumstances are.

Supposing their guest was nursing some secret heartbreak over not being able to have children, and an interviewer went blundering in like Chris did saying "I think you should have a kid" like that. That's why it's not acceptable, and it doesn't become acceptable just because it's someone people don't like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    But this isn't about whether we like Gervais or not (I'm not keen on him myself); it's about whether an interviewer should make such personal and intrusive remarks when they have no idea what someone's personal circumstances are.

Supposing their guest was nursing some secret heartbreak over not being able to have children, and an interviewer went blundering in like Chris did saying "I think you should have a kid" like that. That's why it's not acceptable, and it doesn't become acceptable just because it's someone people don't like.

I understand that, but having seen plenty of Gervais' interviews in the past (with Jonathan Ross for instance) it seems that they are an extension of his schtick/on-stage persona rather than deeply probing into his personal life, motivations or anything like that.

A guest on a show sets their own boundaries generally, and many stand ups use interviews simply as a showcase for their act. If you were to base Ricky's boundaries on his public persona then making him squirm a bit or making a few jokes at his expense wouldn't seem out of line to me. He makes a living out of doing it to others.
  • FlyWhoBuggedMeFlyWhoBuggedMe Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »
    Gervais is such a delicate flower

Is that what his boyfriend says. :D
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    I understand that, but having seen plenty of Gervais' interviews in the past (with Jonathan Ross for instance) it seems that they are an extension of his schtick/on-stage persona rather than deeply probing into his personal life, motivations or anything like that.

A guest on a show sets their own boundaries generally, and many stand ups use interviews simply as a showcase for their act. If you were to base Ricky's boundaries on his public persona then making him squirm a bit or making a few jokes at his expense wouldn't seem out of line to me. He makes a living out of doing it to others.

I know what you mean about the Jonathan Ross/Ricky Gervais banter. But I get the impression RG and JR are very close mates and therefore have free rein to needle each other, in that playful but harmless way that close mates do, without crossing the line (because as close mates they know which lines not to cross.) A bit like the relationship between Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan.

But Chris Evans is a different matter. I got the impression he doesn't know Ricky at all, (they certainly didn't seem to be very friendly) and therefore he isn't in a position to do that personal/intrusive thing in the way he did.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually thought it was one of the better Gervais interviews.. for once he seemed to be normal and seriously talking about the subjects that cropped up in the interview. I liked his point about the Oscars.

Chris Evans has thrown handgrinades like that into a few interviews. I think once the celeb throws one at him he seems to throw a bigger one back, probably because he enjoys testing the limits of the restrictions of the show.

I thought Rickys ribbed condoms comment was hilarious. Love it when they say something like that and you can just hear the producers sharp intake of air as they realise what they just said.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was on this DVD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ricky-Gervais-Live-Fame-DVD/dp/B000NQDE0Y

And if so many people 'miss his humour by a country mile' perhaps the problem is with him and the way he expresses himself rather than with everyone who watches or listens to him.

I 'miss his humour by a country mile' because he is an overrated unfunny talentless idiot. But that is just MHO.

The Yanks are welcome to him.
  • PerkyPerkinsPerkyPerkins Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    I agree that Chris Evans was out of line making such a personal comment.

I loved the part where Alex mentioned that Warwick Davies is a dwarf and Ricky said "Why did you have to bring that up?" :D:D She looked so uncomfortable and immediately tried to blame Chris, before eventually the penny dropped and she realised that Ricky was joking.
  • avidreaderavidreader Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like Chris Evans, but I was surprised when he said that. My husband and I don't have kids (our choice) and it annoys me when people say things like that, or act as if we're weird because we don't want children.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    Is that what his boyfriend says. :D

You mean his wife Jane Fallon?

Gervais is good mates with Jonathan Ross, who is good mates with Chris Evans. As someone else has already said, I can't imagine that Evans and Gervais aren't already mates and have these kind of chats all the time. It's certainly no worse than the kind of things Gervais says to Karl Pilkington.
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,619
    Forum Member
    Link Please?

Hold the phone, Ricky Gervais is supposed to be funny?!:eek:
  • Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Since most get it, I'd say probably not.
  • LysandarLysandar Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I 'miss his humour by a country mile' because he is an overrated unfunny talentless idiot. But that is just MHO.

The Yanks are welcome to him.

Totally agree.
    He is the unfunniest person in the history of comedy.
    I'm just staggered that the foul-mouthed lout has got away with it for so long.
    I can only assume that people who pay to see him are either paid to do so or drunk.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    No of course they shouldn't. But Evans is so immature and egotistical that he's incapable of letting anyone else have the limelight. Any half-decent interviewer knows that they are not the "star" - the person being interviewed is. Their job is to listen and ask interesting questions and draw out the interviewee to make a programme entertaining for the conversation.

Not to make the interview a platform for "Ooooh look at me, I'm interviewing someone."
    Forum Member
    The only thing the presenter needs to do is create a show that entertains the viewer. It's an entertainment show, not a news show - if people are tuning in then the presenter is doing his or her job. There's no rulebook for the job. It's only a problem if you're bored by what's on the screen.

And given how many times Gervais has been interviewed by Jonathan Ross, I'm sure he's used to the interviewer hogging the limelight. I doubt he really cares.
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    marjangles wrote: »
    Hold the phone, Ricky Gervais is supposed to be funny?!:eek:

Tens of millions in the bank says he's doing something right.

Maybe you should have a go?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Did Ricky do that hilarious bit where he pretends to be an arrogant git, and then tell about how succesful he is?

I just watched his new DVD 'Science' & he did this about 20 times *yawn*.

Glad I didn't pay for it. It was utter rubbish.
    Forum Member
    Sorry, his GIRLFRIEND Jane Fallon, not wife.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Link Please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO8X4heJsKI

& not JOKING about cancer

Macmillan Cancer Support :)