Dirtiest/filthiest place you've visited

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    Paris - dog mess, graffiti and urine everywhere I went... Yuck...

I thought it was just me who could always smell stale urine everywhere in the morning, particularly by bus stops. Very odd.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    :eek: Bodies left to rot? In the middle of a capital city?

I was in Cairo a few years ago and we came across what seemed to be a tramp sleeping in a doorway. I was going to take a photo when my friend pointed out all the bugs crawling in and out of his nose and mouth. Then I realised from his gaunt expression and stillness that he was, in fact, dead.
    We pointed this out to a guide we got the next day and she said this was common when there is a road accident, the people will drag a killed person to the side of the road and carry on. The City is supposed to collect RTA bodies, but often they forget.
    Oh, and the place was caked in dust and smelled bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    :eek: Bodies left to rot? In the middle of a capital city?

Lagos isn't the capital of Nigeria- hasn't been for quite a while now! I've been to Lagos countless times and I've never seen bodies rotting. I do concur certain places are absolutely filthy though.

The dirtiest place I've ever been to is Delhi in India.
  • JonyMcBJonyMcB Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Some god forsaken bar in Mahmutular, Turkey. Toilets were filthy and actually disinhinged - if that is a word - from the wall.

The bar wasn't actually opened when we walked by but the owners got talking to us . They were v dodgy but you don't care when you're on holidays and merry. Hubby and me were convinced they drugged us as we had the most severe hangovers we ever had after the next day. They had no other customers but us. We have strong constitutions but were fcuking dying the next day and it takes an awful lot for us to be sick.

Going back to the topic, I couldn't even pee in the place it was so filthy. I had to go outside but I'm no shrinking violet so was able to do so.
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a_c_g_t wrote: »
    UK

Kingston Upon Hull

(stinking rundown S**T hole)

:eek::eek::eek::eek:::mad::mad::cry::cry::cry:

NO IT IS NOT!!! How dare you say such a thing. Born here and still living here 35 years later. Hull is a great place to live :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a man I know who lives 2 doors down from my step-daughter.he is in a private rent house.it has to be seen to be believed.front door falling off and net curtain is black(not slightly brown but black) from stories I have heard from various people who went to his house after the pub,they would not sit on his toilet and inside house is a war zone of dirt and creepy crawlies.I find it hard to believe someone could live like this in this day age.He works as a security guard and looks normal.Like something out of A life of Grime only 10 times worse.:eek:
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Minehead , Butlins in the 70's rats and rubbish everywhere, run down chalets and was in bed from food poisoning for about a week of the fortnight.
  • OK Then!!!OK Then!!! Posts: 4,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    How can a UK supermarket be the filthiest place you have ever visited?

If you go to M&S or Sainsburies you may well think this, if you go to Lidl or Aldi your query would be answered. Filthy flooring, a smell of dirt, damaged products, stuff thrown everywhere, and the staff seem to smell have no regard for their uniforms or personal hygiene. In my experiences.
  • OK Then!!!OK Then!!! Posts: 4,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On top of my lidl and aldi vote, Blackpool. Once had to holiday in Blackpool (not my choice) only to be met by filth in all senses of the word and in various forms. Vile place.
  • hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    HollyG wrote: »
    Glasgow.

Have you actually been out of Glasgow.... Actually travel and see other places and then you'll realise its actually one of the best places on planet earth.
    Glasgow is a lovely city and most definately not dirty or filthy.
  • livingdeadgirllivingdeadgirl Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not so much a generalisation of the city but was on a canal boat going through Birmingham city centre, in all the tunnels and stuff and at one point there was what we believed to be human diarrhoea and all over a wall and the towpath under one of the tunnels.

I feel sick just remembering it :(
  • Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    Have you actually been out of Glasgow.... Actually travel and see other places and then you'll realise its actually one of the best places on planet earth.
    Glasgow is a lovely city and most definately not dirty or filthy.

I agree, Glasgow is a wonderful city, I have a lot of happy memories of living there. I certainly wouldn't call it dirty.
  • Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    OK Then!!! wrote: »
    On top of my lidl and aldi vote, Blackpool. Once had to holiday in Blackpool (not my choice) only to be met by filth in all senses of the word and in various forms. Vile place.

As for Lidl and Aldi, if you find them the dirtiest places you have been to, then you are very lucky not to have been subjected to any real dirt. Lidl is great, some brilliant bargains, and the veggies in ours are wonderful.

Blackpool is a marmite town, you either love it or hate it. Personally I love it, lots of very happy memories. Family holidays when my son was lilttle, and I also got married there. Taken to the RO in a horse drawn carriage and then photos on the beach opposite the central pier. Lovely people and a brilliant town.
  • RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    McDonalds :eek:
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dungeon.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bundoran, very rundown, streets have rubbish all over them
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    If you go to M&S or Sainsburies you may well think this, if you go to Lidl or Aldi your query would be answered. Filthy flooring, a smell of dirt, damaged products, stuff thrown everywhere, and the staff seem to smell have no regard for their uniforms or personal hygiene. In my experiences.

That would be your local Aldi and Lidl then, as mine are nothing like that. In fact, my local council rates them better for hygiene than most of the big supermarkets, Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda etc.
  • Silent-loveSilent-love Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manningham. http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/04_03/BradfordRiotMOS_468x321.jpg
    Same residents,total ghetto, even the police avoid it now :(
    Basically no cars have tax or insurance, drugs are rife, a lot of cruising in the expensive cars seeing how their "commodities" are doing on street corners. It's a different world.
    The Police do nothing for fear of reprisals.
    When you see numerous Subaru's, BMW 5 series, Mercedes S class pull up to sign on, all driven by teenage boys, their is something gone wrong somewhere.

The "strip" in Crete.
    Hell on Earth, a cattle market of the worst Brits abroad.
    Shameful.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    The people on here suggesting places like London are filthy would have an absolute nightmare if they visited a lot of second of third world places. You can argue London is remarkably clean considering the amount of people and businesses using it each day.

Changing the subject slightly, the cleanest place I have ever been to is Japan. You just don't see litter there.
  • marclamarcla Posts: 1,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the south west of York
  • CampcrusaderCampcrusader Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laura:) wrote: »
    I thought it was just me who could always smell stale urine everywhere in the morning, particularly by bus stops. Very odd.

I'm glad it wasn't just me! I was particularly disgusted to smell urine in the grounds of several monuments (such as the grounds of the Sacre-Coeur), and encounter dog mess in the same places! I view London (and other British cities) with a renewed sense of pride since visiting filthy old Paris!!!
  • Silent-loveSilent-love Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think if our ancestors had a sneaky peak into a crystal ball they would have laid their lives down knowing the floodgate of hate which now occupies our nation?

Will this patriotism be rekindled if our way of life is threatened?
  • HermioneHermione Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Handers wrote: »
    Tijuana, Mexico

I have travelled quite a bit and never been in a place that frightened me so much. Filthy, vile town.

Can you please tell more? I have googled the place - the images don't look to bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A B&B in Blackpool and Faliraki in Rhodes.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You seem to have a fixation about Aldi and Lidl, if it is truely that bad why do you keep shopping there.

One simple solution, stop shopping threre.

Stick to M&S if Lidl and Aldi upset you that much.