Options

Conservative students: A persecuted minority?

2»

Comments

• Options
    redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »
    http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2012/11/26/conservative-students-a-persecuted-minority

Personally I feel that people who choose a political persuasion are neither subject to the same degree of persecution nor deserve the same amount of protection under the law as disabled people, ethnic minorities, members of the LGBT community and other groups which can't help the things for which they're persecuted.

So because people find their ideas abhorrant and have chosen not to hang around with them, they feel like they are a persecuted minority :confused: Anti discrimination law doesn't control social relationships the Conservative society do know that right? I can freely choose not to hang around with gay people because they are gay. I can freely choose not to hang around with muslims because they are muslims. I can freely choose not to hang around with disabled people because they are disabled. . Anti discrimination law only covers the provision of goods, services, employment and not social interactions. Except when those social interactions are then themselves illegal.

All this article proves is that some members of the Oxford Conservative Union have difficulty forming social relationships and that they feel they need to blame others for that. I would suggest that unless you have a disability or learning difficulty. Ones ability to form social relationships is something that the individual is in complete control of. It is not effected by class, standing, money or wealth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    More hated than they were when Thatcher was in power? I find that hard to believe. Boy, were their some vile specimens in the Young Tories during that period. Look how they've turned out too. Those people are now in the coalition that's so badly running the country. If I had a time machine I'd grab a baseball bat on my way back to the 80s...

i just cant stop lol
  • Options
    Barry_JohnsonBarry_Johnson Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    do conservatives take lessons on how to be offensive and insensitive?

this is just one of the most bizarre things i've ever read from anyone ever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can not stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

Politicians spend most of their day making snide comments about the opposition abnd people that dare to questions them, maybe they should just consider this as training for the future.

Me thinks that we have another generation of politicians coming up, that are as damp as a wet squid.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Religion is a choice and that gets special treatment, so logically if we're to say that choices get special treatment then so should political ones.

Or, we say choices don't get special treatment, and remove it for religions too.

Whether you believe or not is not really a choice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that people should be allowed to have whatever political opinions they want. It's got nothing to do with me. If I don't like it I need to debate a need to change not isolate and insult. If I see evidence, examples, etc, I am more likely to change my political views than being forced or bullied.

Imagine if this was the other way around? Labour students are bullied by Conservatives or whatever. OK, not nice. We'll sort that out. Even if, as someone has suggested, these phrases have come from debates that they have lost then the other side were wrong for using them anyway. Ad hominems are the lowest form of debate. Stick to debating not insulting!
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if, as someone has suggested, these phrases have come from debates that they have lost then the other side were wrong for using them anyway. Ad hominems are the lowest form of debate. Stick to debating not insulting!
    You're blaming the conservatives' whining on something that the opposing debating team might have said? Stick to facts, not evidence perhaps?
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Ahhh Oxford University that well known hot bed of Left wingers :D

So they feel "actively isolated, personally attacked and made to feel unwelcome", ha they should try being on benefits in the current climate of hate whipped up by the right wing media, it will no doubt feel pretty familiar.

The solution should be fairly straight forward if you don't want to be treated as utter knobs, don't hold opinions that make you seem like utter knobs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're blaming the conservatives' whining on something that the opposing debating team might have said? Stick to facts, not evidence perhaps?

Good point. I was expanding on something someone had said before suggesting that these phrases were used in the debate as opposed to around. Still, the abuse shouldn't have been used in either setting. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    The solution should be fairly straight forward if you don't want to be treated as utter knobs, don't hold opinions that make you seem like utter knobs.
    Whatever views you hold someone will think you're a knob for holding it.

The trick is to have the courage of your convictions and stand behind your views regardless of who's criticising you.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Whatever views you hold someone will think you're a knob for holding it.

The trick is to have the courage of your convictions and stand behind your views regardless of who's criticising you.

True, if the overwhelming feedback is that you are a knob though, it might be time to consider your views;)

The reality is of course that this is some wanabee student politician thinking she has found a clever way to start a debate about political correctness. So personally I think she is a knob:D
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    It is a bit worrying if they start off rightwing isn't it

I mean, people tend to get more right wing as they get older, so if you can't be a leftie idealist while a student, where do you go from there?

It's these poor souls that end up turning out to be a parent's nightmare e.g John Redwood or Peter Lilley. Imagine the blistering self-abhorrence you'd feel if you were the parent of one of those.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »

I mean, people tend to get more right wing as they get older, so if you can't be a leftie idealist while a student, where do you go from there?

It's these poor souls that end up turning out to be a parent's nightmare e.g John Redwood or Peter Lilley. Imagine the blistering self-abhorrence you'd feel if you were the parent of one of those.

Not so sure about that. I am getting more left the older I get due to life experiences and the ability to be able to view things critically and rationally. Often in your teens you are full of angst and of the opinion you know everything about everything.
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »

I'd imagine their parents are probably right-wing themselves and the main reason the conservative students have the political views that they do.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the point of being in university if you're just going to isolate yourself from people with beliefs you disagree with and verbally abuse them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats the point of being in university if you're just going to isolate yourself from people with beliefs you disagree with and verbally abuse them?
    Practice for later life.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Practice for later life.

You dont need to practice ignorance
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not so sure about that. I am getting more left the older I get due to life experiences and the ability to be able to view things critically and rationally. Often in your teens you are full of angst and of the opinion you know everything about everything.

Same here.

Looking back I cringe at some of the views I used to hold.

In my opinion right-wingers tend to have an "I'm alright Jack" type attitude and oversimplify issues.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being a Tory is a political ideology, not the same as being gay or an ethnic minority.