Options

Avengers: Age Of Ultron

MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
Forum Member
So it has been announced at Comic Con that the title for Avengers 2 is Avengers: Age Of Ultron and they showed a brief teaser trailer!

Comments

• Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting, have Disney got the rights to Wolverine back? He's a major part of that storyline.

It's a fairly bonkers time travel tale that starts with the world being destroyed and then they have to stop it happening.
  • Options
    Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't mean they'll be using the story, just the title.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Ooh is there not a link for it anywhere?:3
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They have said they are just using the title and it won't be loyal to the arc in the comics!

Although I guess we might see Hank Pym or Antman in this film as he is closely linked to Ultron origin story!
  • Options
    farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's pretty obvious they are just using the name and this will not be an adaption of the recent comic story of the same name which actualy had very little appearances by the Ultron anyway.

That being said I can't help but feel it to be questionable form to name this movie after a story most comic fans decided to skip and those that read it generaly disliked.

Also isn't the Ant Man movie planned for Marvel's Phase 3? That doesn't mean that he can't be in the upcoming movie(s) but wouldn't it be better to set him up properly in his own movie since any story involving Utron is really about him.

I've read on other boards the theory that they'll change the origin and have Tony Stark create Ultron which would solve the above problem although I don't like the idea of even more focus on Stark in the movieverse. Not to mention that there'd be little point of doing an Ant Man movie at all if that's the case?

Also what's the point of teasing Thanos at the end of the Avengers if he's not the villain for the sequel?
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it would be better to introduce Hank Pym in a cameo role in Avengers: Age Of Ultron then do his proper origin story in the stand alone Antman film that follows it!

Joss Whedon confirmed a while back that his plan was to have Thanos as the main villain in Avengers 3 as everything is building up to that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    I think it would be better to introduce Hank Pym in a cameo role in Avengers: Age Of Ultron then do his proper origin story in the stand alone Antman film that follows it!

Surely that's a backwards way of doing things.

It's not just that Ulton was built by Pym but Ultron's oedipal complex and his twisted view of their father/son relationship is the characters main theme

Unless they are turning him into a generic "kill all humans" robot or have it be Stark that creates him I don't see how the character can work.

If that's the case then why bother with Ant Man later on at all? Pym doesn't really have much going for him as character beyond his connection to Ultron...well that and his breakdown story but no way will they ever allow that in a movie.
  • Options
    Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's Scott Lang in the Ant Man movie anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's Scott Lang in the Ant Man movie anyway.

Really? Wow poor Hank can't catch a break in the fictional or real world.

Robbed of his founding status as an Avenger and now potential robbed of his main story and his own movie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Interesting, have Disney got the rights to Wolverine back? He's a major part of that storyline.

It's a fairly bonkers time travel tale that starts with the world being destroyed and then they have to stop it happening.

Probably not, but you are assuming that they are doing a direct copy of the comic version of the story.

Marvel/Fox/Sony etc tend to see the cinematic universe as insular in their own right. That is why they can change origins, alther characters etc.

At Comic Con, Producer/Director of X:Men - Days of Future Past made a big revelation about that ilm. Although Kitty Pryde is in the film, it's not her that travels back in time, it's Wolverine. I have no idea why they did it, possibly because Ellen Page and Kitty Pryde isn't even a blip in the public's radar compared to the level of Hugh Jackman and Wolverine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it has been said that the film version of Ant Man would be different to the comic version so there maybe no link at all to Ultron!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I have just an Marvel interview with Joss Whedon on You Tube where he does state that the Ultron origin story will be different to the comics and that Hank Pym/Antman is not involved in Avengers:Age Of Ultron!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Well I have just an Marvel interview with Joss Whedon on You Tube where he does state that the Ultron origin story will be different to the comics and that Hank Pym/Antman is not involved in Avengers:Age Of Ultron!

IMO that's a good thing and it needs to be stuck too. What you don't need is somewhere down the line for films that are made to start to get related to previous films as it will get really confusing.

I noticed in Iron Man 3 and also the trailer for the new S.H.I.E.L.D. TV series they reference The Avengers film. Great for the fans, but if you haven't seen the film? If that starts to happen a lot it won't take long for it to start to grate and non-comic fans to lose interest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree that could be a problem but I'm sure Marvel will try to find a balance that satisfies both the first time viewers and also the die hard Marvel fans!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So James Spader has been cast as the voice of Ultron!
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    A layman writes:

Age of Ultron?

Was Ultron that thing we saw in the credits of Avengers? I'm confused now.

(Marvel: don't screw it up with fanwank please).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A layman writes:

Age of Ultron?

Was Ultron that thing we saw in the credits of Avengers? I'm confused now.

(Marvel: don't screw it up with fanwank please).

Ahh, no, that was Thanos.

Its all become a bit confusing just recently. I thought Thanos was there as a teaser for Thor 2? But I lost track of that film a while ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it has been said that the film version of Ant Man would be different to the comic version so there maybe no link at all to Ultron!

At this time im not sure there is any way they could make that work, Ant Man has been completely ignored to this point in time. He's not a founder member in the movies.

Ant Man as others have said will be after the second Avengers movie, if its ever made, and any link to the Avengers will likely be tentative. The question is which Ant Man will they use? There have been several.
  • Options
    JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    Ahh, no, that was Thanos.

Its all become a bit confusing just recently. I thought Thanos was there as a teaser for Thor 2? But I lost track of that film a while ago.

Apparently Thanos is the big dawg in the Marvel Movie Universe and is pulling all the strings.

He'll be in Guardians of the Galaxy (not sure how much screen time) but will be the main villian in Avengers 3.

I guess Galactus is tied in with the Fantastic Four as surely him or Apocolypse are the biggest villians in the Marvel Universe?

Actually which company owns Apocolypse? Fox? Marvel?
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JaiJai wrote: »
    Apparently Thanos is the big dawg in the Marvel Movie Universe and is pulling all the strings.

He'll be in Guardians of the Galaxy (not sure how much screen time) but will be the main villian in Avengers 3.

I guess Galactus is tied in with the Fantastic Four as surely him or Apocolypse are the biggest villians in the Marvel Universe?

Actually which company owns Apocolypse? Fox? Marvel?

To hazard a guess I'd say Fox. As he's an X-Men villain.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    Ahh, no, that was Thanos
    Thanks.

Seems Ultron may actually be Iron Man's Jarvis gone kerr-razy or something, according to some sites. But not Paul Bettany, instead James Spader, who hasn't aged well. More confusion. Do Marvel know what they're doing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think they do but it does seem very early to be announcing casting for a film out in 2015 although Affleck has been announced for Batman Vs Superman which is out in 2015

I'm just wondering if we will get a post credit scene with Ultron in maybe Captain America 2?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So Aaron Taylor Johnson has been confirmed as Quicksilver after rumours for a while!
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Seems Ultron may actually be Iron Man's Jarvis gone kerr-razy or something, according to some sites. But not Paul Bettany, instead James Spader, who hasn't aged well. More confusion. Do Marvel know what they're doing?
    I've read that too. Will be interesting. I think they'll do okay. They're doing the films in the same universe, but with their own little twist. That's if the rumors are to be believed.
    I'm just wondering if we will get a post credit scene with Ultron in maybe Captain America 2?
    I wouldn't think so. As far as I know (short of the Avengers) there isn't much that connects Captain America and Ultron. It's more likely the Captain America post credit scene will feature Stark or something.

...be interesting to see what the Thor 2 post-credit scene is too. Bound to involve Loki.