Big Bang Theory Season 7 US pace

Comments

• Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good episode, I liked Sheldon discovering an element by mistake.

Didn't enjoy the song, way too mushy and sentimental for me. I don't the show's romantic elements and the girl characters, but there are moments it's too serious and cheesy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    The whole of last night's episode seemed to be to get the song played as the central theme, it had a slightly Monty Python ring to it (with the lyrics)

However, overall it was another poor episode. The Penny/Leonard plot was lazy, unfunny and pointless (so Penny gave him a book, whoop whoop). You'd have thought the writers might have been a bit more imaginative.

Raj seems to do less and less each episode (Sheldon seems to be the only one of them that actually does any work these days, is Raj still supposed to be working FOR him?).

I just think the writers have gotten lazy, they're also trying to change Sheldon far too much for my liking.

I'd give it 4/10 and that is being generous. In fact the only episode I'd give a decent score to was the opener and that was just because most of it involved Penny and Sheldon.

I really don't like the way the show's gone I'm afraid.

I think that the pay off for their story was that Penny was trying desperately to think of ways to be romantic and failed again because even 'though she remembered that Leonard had wanted the book, she had forgotten that he bought it at the time.

The real truth was that by keeping all of his romantic gifts, she actually demonstrated that she was being sentimental and romantic all along.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    BenRielly wrote: »
    I think that the pay off for their story was that Penny was trying desperately to think of ways to be romantic and failed again because even 'though she remembered that Leonard had wanted the book, she had forgotten that he bought it at the time.

The real truth was that by keeping all of his romantic gifts, she actually demonstrated that she was being sentimental and romantic all along.

Thing is we knew that as they did an episode if you remember where she was in bed with Leonard and she'd kept his inhaler.

I just thought that part was badly written in the episode, it was lazy.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe how much whinging people are doing about this episode... I thought it was great. So what if the whole thing existed just for Howard to do that song, it was a very witty and moving song anyway, so what's the problem??

As for Sheldon's story...I feel we are leading to him making a genuinely huge discovery, maybe towards the end of this season?
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is we knew that as they did an episode if you remember where she was in bed with Leonard and she'd kept his inhaler.

I just thought that part was badly written in the episode, it was lazy.

Can you just do us all a favour and stop watching it as your constant bitching got boring a long time ago
  • User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the last episode was alright (5/10), I liked Howard’s song, the Sheldon storyline was alright, I didn’t so much get on with the Lenny one though (as it was obvious it was going to be a backhanded way to show she was ‘romantic’). It seems from comments around that many thought Bernie was going to die in the hospital, didn’t quite twig that myself but glad she didn’t. There’s a reason I’ve given it a 5….the ‘tease’ of Sheldon and Amy again, I said to my OH as soon as they started that scene it would all be a daydream, and yup it was! They don’t want to wear that joke out and it’s been done a few times already.

A few bits I noted:

The song was written by Kate Micucci, which was the lady playing Raj’s girlfriend last season
    The diagram Sheldon was working on showed the electronic configurations of various elements, ie how many electrons in the outer subshells.
    The Cello reference was a throwback to days when Leonard was with Leslie

No new episode this week iirc
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    I thought the last episode was alright (5/10), I liked Howard’s song, the Sheldon storyline was alright, I didn’t so much get on with the Lenny one though (as it was obvious it was going to be a backhanded way to show she was ‘romantic’). It seems from comments around that many thought Bernie was going to die in the hospital, didn’t quite twig that myself but glad she didn’t. There’s a reason I’ve given it a 5….the ‘tease’ of Sheldon and Amy again, I said to my OH as soon as they started that scene it would all be a daydream, and yup it was! They don’t want to wear that joke out and it’s been done a few times already.

A few bits I noted:

The song was written by Kate Micucci, which was the lady playing Raj’s girlfriend last season The diagram Sheldon was working on showed the electronic configurations of various elements, ie how many electrons in the outer subshells.
    The Cello reference was a throwback to days when Leonard was with Leslie

No new episode this week iirc

She funny little songs in Raising Hope as well - I wonder if its her party piece.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    She funny little songs in Raising Hope as well - I wonder if its her party piece.

It's also what she did in Scrubs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    She and the girl from the cooper/nowitzki? episode
    are a duo that does funny songs. You can YouTube them. I think they're called Garfunkel and Oates. Pretty hilarious.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite simply the worst episode ever. Bar the belt buckle light sabre bit, not even a smile was cracked.
    Clearly the humour and notoriety of Newhart is lost on me.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kayley was phoning it in this episode.
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member

Well, be fair, the writers gave her hardly anything to do.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Agreed, didn't find Newhart funny, poor writing again and they've turned Raj into a miserable ****.
  • fabulistfabulist Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why they would bring back Bob Newhart. He delivers every like like hes a corpse, it's painful to watch
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Newhart was the highlight of the episode! He's fantastic and still has killer comedic timing.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really poor episode. I've found this season ok so far, but this last episode just didn't have anything to commend it at all - lots of rehashed jokes and stuff so boring and repetitive that not even Jim Parsons and Mayim Bialik could make it funny.

She had nothing to do, just like most of this season so far apart from the Sheldon and Penny stuff in episode 1. I thought she was fine - pretty much none of them had any decent material to work with at all this episode, in fact I didn't even think Jim Parsons was funny, which says a lot about the quality of the episode...
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Bob Newhart was the highlight of the episode! He's fantastic and still has killer comedic timing.

None of those gags required any semblance of killer comic timing, they were about as obvious as they come. I still found him extremely unfunny.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing Newhart's status in US TV got him that Emmy nomination. As fine as he was in his previous episode for what that character required, I still can't for the life of me work out why he was nominated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob Newhart and Bill Nye are lost on me I'm afraid, I get that they're popular in America, I just saw two random blokes walk into that episode, from the reviews around though the US audiences love them.

I think for non US audiences these types of episode are bit lost, felt it to me at least.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just when you think it can't get any more unfunny, episode 8 comes along:cry::(
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just when you think it can't get any more unfunny, episode 8 comes along:cry::(

It was a million miles better than last week, though that's not saying much. I don't like Lucy, and have never found her funny, so some of the episode was a bit of a waste for me, but I thought Johnny Galecki, Kaley Cuoco and Mayim Bialik did well with the material they had.

Ok, the plot was ridiculous (but TBBT is often ridiculous), and I think this was far from Jim Parsons' finest hour - Sheldon was just irritating rather than remotely funny - but it was definitely more watchable than episode 7 - at least I laughed this week!
  • MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't laugh once during that episode, the Raj bits were especially bad. I think Raj needs more stewert episodes as the ones that have him with Howard usually also include Bernadette and are usually unfunny nowadays.

Episodes like this weeks feel more like Seinfeld than Tbbt, hopefully next weeks will be better.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am wondering if Mrs Sheldon splits up with him because of what he did to Leonard. I mean there's a difference between just doing something mean and being mean on the inside, which is where I think this whole 7 year DVD plan came from. But I'm guessing everything will be reset by next weeks ep and everyone'll've forgotten all about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought there'd be more comments on the last episode....

I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for the Penny and Raj, they're not really being given much in the way of material, I'm sure Cuckoo could play Penny with her eyes shut at the moment.

I don't want to whine, so will leave my thoughts about the episode there. It was easy enough way to pass 20 mins irrespective of it all...

For those interested, here's a scene with the laugh track taken out....awkward!!
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a weak, disjointed episode. Also the Leonard wearing itchy clothing gag has already been done before and much better in Season 2 ("The Vartabedian Conundrum").
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those interested, here's a scene with the laugh track taken out....awkward!!

Eh?

Of course it is because the show is built around the audience they perform in front of. The audience reaction informs their performances and they insert small pauses here and there where appropriate.

If it was filmed without an audience it wouldn't have those "awkward" moments.

It's like taking the special effects out of Doctor Who and using it as an example of how crap or "awkward" it is. When it is part and parcel of the show.