Options

England vs Peru

12346»

Comments

• Options
    richparrrichparr Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Few defensive blips that fortunately didn't cost us but a 3-0 win against decent opposition is a nice send-off.

Decent opposition?????????????????????????????????
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Rooney really - so he's not match. Not playing for man u for the last 3, then Portugal to bend him. Dodgy pick

I've read this several times now and still can't understand it.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,038
    Forum Member
    Peru did get behind the defence a few times but generally a solid enough performance.

Nice goal from Sturridge.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    richparr wrote: »

Yes. They took points off Argentina and Chile in arguably the most competitive qualifying system. It's hardly Andorra.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't impressed with our performance against the "pan-pipers and alpaca herders."

It's the same old problem.
    Dither about until the opposition have got eleven men behind the ball. It's this, "Nelson tradition of thinking we have to triumph over overwhelming odds," so two or three are trying to get through a packed defence every time.

So slow lateral passes until the poor ball control means someone gives it away and there's never enough movement off the ball.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They would have been, playing at full strength in Lima. I thought they had some decent young players who looked comfortable on the ball. No real threat up front though.

I quite enjoyed the game, fabulous strike by Sturridge and some attractive football here and there. I don't think it's much of an indication of our chances in Brazil though.
  • Options
    Eye ItchEye Itch Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're gonna win the cup.
  • Options
    simonl87simonl87 Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a general rule people who think Rooney is useless and shouldn't play for England know nothing about football.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonl87 wrote: »
    As a general rule people who think Rooney is useless and shouldn't play for England know nothing about football.

If they say he's useless, they certainly don't know much about football. But strictly on his England form, they might have had a point occasionally. If England were a club side, he would have been pulled off a few times..but the top club sides would have better alternatives on the bench than England.
  • Options
    simonl87simonl87 Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they say he's useless, they certainly don't know much about football. But strictly on his England form, they might have had a point occasionally. If England were a club side, he would have been pulled off a few times..but the top club sides would have better alternatives on the bench than England.

He was very good in qualifying though yet gets more stick then anyone else. I'm not sure what Barkley and Oxlade Chamberlin have done either this season or in an England shirt to play ahead of Rooney. I also don't think his performances in a world cup four or eight years ago is particullay relevant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was very good in qualifying though yet gets more stick then anyone else. I'm not sure what Barkley and Oxlade Chamberlin have done either this season or in an England shirt to play ahead of Rooney. I also don't think his performances in a world cup four or eight years ago is particullay relevant.

Oh I agree, he would still be one of the first names on my team sheet. But in the past, he could have justifiably been substituted or dropped on performance. That doesn't make him a poor player, even the best can't expect to be selected every time on reputation.
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is the UN Premier league.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkie70 wrote: »
    That is the UN Premier league.:D

Never thought of that. If it was a tournament based on leagues we'd probably be favourites ? But realistically there would only be three teams in it. Eat your heart out Brazil. :)
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't believe many say he's uaeless generally. It is undeniable, however, that as his youthful impudence and fearlessness dissapated with age, he's been often a frustrating presence in the England team, especially on those occasions when he's been seen as our go to player in terms of goals or creating something.

His lack of positional discipline also doesn't help as it's harder to force yourself on game in that way at international level. He needs to get the ball in dangerous areas, not in his own half.

Whether his desire to do well adds the tension that sees his touch desert him (he was caught in possession or gave the ball away a lot last night) I don't know but it seems the England spotlight has blinded him as the expectation has grown. It happens to so many players as they lose that carefree arrogance of youth.

United fans are rightly defensive of Rooney but it's no escaping Wayne Rooney's contribution at major tournaments since he exploded on to the international scene have been disappointibg even when you factor in the injuries. That's not to say others haven't replicated their club form, as it's almost inevitable, but in Rooney's case the difference has been marked when the tournaments come around.

I suspect if England play well as a team and therefore take some of the pressure off him, Rooney will play well. An early goal in the World Cup will help, of course, so let's hope it happens.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No wins in 23 away games - only a deluded England fan can say thats 'decent'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a shot in both ways.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    No wins in 23 away games - only a deluded England fan can say thats 'decent'

Where did you pull that stat from? In their last 23 away games they've beaten Colombia, Costa Rica and Panama. Not to mention the draws against Uruguay, Honduras and others.

I do hope the football forum won't be plagued by this for the entirety of the WC.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooney clearly wasn't fully fit last night, which is understandable. You can always tell when he's not right because his first touch is absolutely horrific, as it was last night. By all means use these friendlies to try and get him up to speed, but if by the time we play Italy he still doesn't look fully fit and on form, then Hodgson should have no qualms about leaving him on the bench.

Same goes for any other "star names" who haven't shown enough to merit starting.
  • Options
    zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Where did you pull that stat from? In their last 23 away games they've beaten Colombia, Costa Rica and Panama. Not to mention the draws against Uruguay, Honduras and others.

I do hope the football forum won't be plagued by this for the entirety of the WC.

No. It will be even worse than this during the actual world cup.
  • Options
    axlgodaxlgod Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Rooney clearly wasn't fully fit last night, which is understandable. You can always tell when he's not right because his first touch is absolutely horrific, as it was last night. By all means use these friendlies to try and get him up to speed, but if by the time we play Italy he still doesn't look fully fit and on form, then Hodgson should have no qualms about leaving him on the bench.

Same goes for any other "star names" who haven't shown enough to merit starting.

If Hodgson leaves Rooney on the bench in the World Cup, I'll eat elephant shit.
    Hodgson hasn't got the balls to drop him, even though we play better as a team without him.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    It is tedious watching him lumbering around between the halfway line and the penalty box occasionally getting involved in the build up by causing it to break down with yet another mis-kick. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love how many people think that renowned football manager Roy Hodgson lacks 'balls' for not doing what they think he should.
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »

Rooney, Gerrard and some others are only included because certain product manufacturers have paid a hell of a lot of money in sponsoring fees and they consequently want a return.