Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    The BBC are geniuses. They've recently seen that the topic of cute animals has rated well and dramas with cute animals have done well in the past. So they developed this drama.

Well then ITV must be as well seeing as they commissioned Wild At Heart.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    johnnymc wrote: »
    It should have been held back until January if Sundays didn't suit it in the autumn I feel. Launching it on "Boxing Day" through to February would have been equally beneficial.
    Cant air on Sundays in January because of Call The Midwife.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should have been held back until January if Sundays didn't suit it in the autumn I feel. Launching it on "Boxing Day" through to February would have been equally beneficial.

Yes Boxing Day would have been perfect. It could of got at lest 9m+ in a BD slot.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Good post. ITV are fabulous at making drama series'. It's part of their heritage. Long running drama series' isn't ITV's priority right now. They have a different agenda for Sundays especially compared to the late 90's through to 2009. Their 3 parters generally rate well and are always well made.

Whilst I thought Our Zoo was fabulous, I am eagerly waiting for The Great Fire because hopefully that will be superb too.

I know I keep banging on about this but the Great Fire is bizarrely scheduled, it should be on this Week since the fire happened from 2-5 september, why they would show it later is stupid.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    It could be a huge hit in 8pm slot. Very warm, cosy drama, and being about animals its my kind of drama.

Dont worry H. - POGDOGS is back tonight so you will be in heaven for a few weeks. :)
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes and as we don't know what ITV plan to put up against CtM next series, Our Zoo may not have been noticed. They could do Our Zoo at 8pm and CtM at 9pm but if ITV show Stars in their Eyes on Sundays at 8pm, then Our Zoo would not do well at all. Mind you, we don't actually know if it'll do well anyway. It might have flopped last night for all we know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Michelle Osborn ‏@michellosborn 23s
    Last night's #BakeOff peaked at 9.1 million viewers on #BBC1

Half a million up from last week's equivalent peak :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle Osborn ‏@michellosborn 23s
    Last night's #BakeOff peaked at 9.1 million viewers on #BBC1

So probably around 8m average then.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Could have been held back to take the CTM slot in the spring though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Michelle Osborn ‏@michellosborn now
    New original British drama #OurZoo launches with 5.1 million viewers on #BBC1

It beat the target 5m - becoming the UK's highest rating new Wednesday night drama in more than half a decade on any channel - and will most likely continue to grow from now on as the GBBO lead-in increases over the Autumn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It beat the target 5m and will continue to grow from now on.

Actually that's really disappointing. Expected much more.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    "Our Zoo" launches with 5.07! Mmm with a 8 million lead in? Perhaps needs episode one to get started. I thought 7 million for its launch!
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member

It beat the target 5m - becoming the UK's highest rating new Wednesday drama in more than half a decade on any channel - and will continue to grow from now on.

That's slightly disappointing, I hope the good worth of mouth leads to a great timeshift- IT was a great show- We were all getting a bit carried away with 6m+ though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Last year Scott and Bailey launched its series with 5.8m in that slot. But this year due to the reduced interest in that show and poor lead-in it has, it will probably be down to about 4.5m. So Our Zoo doesnt have much to worry about, it will remain steady or grow.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Itv are showing every England football game between now and 2016.So Im not sure what you mean :confused:? They cant physically air anymore England games!

Must have messed it up with the other games but I would have got rid of England ones. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last year Scott and Bailey launched its series with 5.8m in that slot. But this year due to the reduced interest in that show and poor lead-in it has, it will probably be down to about 4.5m. So Our Zoo doesnt have much to worry about, it will remain steady or grow.

I hope you're right Samuel. I sometimes feel a bit baffled by what viewers choose to watch these days. You always hear "there's never anything worth watching on telly" and then when there is, nobody watches it!
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member

I think Midwife launches in February usually. Perhaps "Our Zoo" is not right for Wednesday at 9pm after all.:)
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our Zoo would have been perfect for Sunday nights at 8. Really enjoyable drama but it is in the wrong slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe40 wrote: »
    Twitter: Loose Women ‏@loosewomen
    Were THRILLED to announce four new additions to the #LooseWomen family: @MrsSOsbourne @judyfinnigan, Penny Lancaster and Gloria Hunniford!

Loose mostly old age pensioners.
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    I think 5.1 is a very good rating for a drama at the moment. It's not much below overnights for established hits like New Tricks or DW. Lee Ingleby is one of the best actors in the country but he's not an established star and he's not an obvious leading man. It's a bit harsh to see it as a disappointment for a non-crime drama, imo. I hope it can keep most of that audience.
  • Options
    centauri72centauri72 Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Our Zoo rating is definitely on the low side. Most dramas see ratings fall after the first week, and ITV have much stronger competition next week, so we could see an overnight in the 4s next week.

With the exception of GBBO and XFactor ep 1 almost everything this autumn is down (and even that effect did not last for TXF for more than 24 hours, with the Sunday ep underperforming).

I think we have to accept that there has been another lurch down in the benchmark for average ratings, in line with the long-term trends since the 80s. Yes, ratings will no doubt rise as the winter nights draw in, but it currently seems unlikely that we will see soaps and dramas hitting 10m week after week even in January.

I can't help adding that this once again shows how comparatively resilient Doctor Who is, despite the criticism of its ratings on this thread in the last couple of weeks. It averages a final figure above 7m, season after season for nine years, and (albeit after only 2 eps of 12) is still doing so. There is literally no other drama which is so reliable - not even New Tricks which until this season was its closest rival in that respect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Our Zoo rating is a little underwhelming but anything over 5m is ok. Now we need to know will it grow and timeshift well as people hear about it? Next Wednesday clash is going to be fascinating.

Maybe there were more mugs watching the football than we expected.
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Scott and Bailey didn't have a 9m lead in though, they had to make do with mega flop Food Glorious Food barley scraping 2m before. Dissapointing for Our Zoo at barley over 5, not much room to drop with the added drama competition next week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Our Zoo" launches with 5.07! Mmm with a 8 million lead in? Perhaps needs episode one to get started. I thought 7 million for its launch!

Yes well reading the last few pages I thought everyone was wildly overpredicting Our Zoo it will be 3.9m next week against Scott And Bailey.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Midwife launches in February usually. Perhaps "Our Zoo" is not right for Wednesday at 9pm after all.:)

Midwife has launched the 3rd or 4th Sunday of January every year since it began
This discussion has been closed.