The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    Absoutely magnificent episode of Doctor Who tonight. Deserves a rating it'd never possibly get and more :(

Best episode in years IMHO, was about plot and characters rather than silly sci-fi.
  • Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Best episode in years IMHO, was about plot and characters rather than silly sci-fi.

Aside from one throwaway line from Clara
    which looks to have cleared up the rumours about whether or not she'll be leaving at the end of the season
    I'd almost say it was flawless. If only they'd saved it another month and scheduled it alongside Strictly rather than in a sandwich of Tumble and Dale Winton :(
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    I didn't dislike series 7, the "Cwying" episode is one of the most mentioned in my experience-but for me series six was its peak. The bar scene, the blow up dolls, Rodneys underage competition win, the jewellery story (brilliant use of all the cast) and the immensely poignant marriage episode all add up to one of the best six episode comedy series ever imo.

Christmas 1988 starting with the special Dates through to Christmas 1989 ending with The Jolly Boys Outing was Only Fools at its finest. Series 6 was magnificent and I think Only Fools had one hand on the Best Comedy BAFTA. The final moments of the wedding episode were very poignant....then Blackadder going over the top in the First World War, producing the most poignant ending ever in sitcom, a few months later in Blackadder Goes Forth stole its thunder.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So much filler in TXF. I think it will be below 8m tonight. They really don't help themselves putting so many adverts and so little singers in these episodes. Its killing itself.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Absoutely magnificent episode of Doctor Who tonight. Deserves the sort of rating it'd never possibly get and more :(

Phenomenal episode, should be a series high, most likely will be a series low. Ratings aren't everything though, the much-lauded Blink is the tenth lowest rated episode, Silence in the Library, another great, is second lowest.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So much filler in TXF. I think it will be below 8m tonight. They really don't help themselves putting so many adverts and so little singers in these episodes. Its killing itself.

4 ad breaks an hour lasting no more than 3m40s, like every other programme on ITV for the last 10-15 years.

People do make a fuss about adverts. I bet we have less ads per hour and less intrusion of ads compared to many other countries. I bet X Factor USA had to go on for hours to get as many acts in as we have per show!
    Forum Member
    Notice they seem to have been clever and given each stage of XF a different hashtag to slightly overcome the 'only new things can trend on twitter' problem. Don't know if it will mean anything, probably not, but just thought it was a bit interesting :p
    Phenomenal episode, should be a series high, most likely will be a series low. Ratings aren't everything though, the much-lauded Blink is the tenth lowest rated episode, Silence in the Library, another great, is second lowest.

True. I just think it deserves a wider audience than the usual 7m. If that kind of episode doesn't have the show heading back towards the kind of 'national treasure' elevation which benefited RTD's era then nothing the show can do will.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    4 ad breaks an hour lasting no more than 3m40s, like every other programme on ITV for the last 10-15 years.

People do make a fuss about adverts. I bet we have less ads per hour and less intrusion of ads compared to many other countries. I bet X Factor USA had to go on for hours to get as many acts in as we have per show!

I don't have a problem with the ads. Its when they have poor acts take up 10 minutes with their 'story' then back to an ad break. It just seems like a waste.

They've got some great singers but them seem intent on showing the poor acts for long periods as well. The good acts should be for longer, the bad quick to get them out of the way. Why they even said yes to some of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd think someone at ITV wold look at those figures and think "Those figures aren't good enough". But no, they seem happy to let both soaps die.

How do you know what discussions are going on behind closed doors. There is only one outcome that would get in the papers, and that would probably be a last resort.

I'd expect as the producer of one of ITV's biggest shows, he is in regular discussions with the top bosses. I expect he keeps telling them that good stuff is coming up.

Ironically Emmerdale is rating worse than under its previous producer. Said previous producer was said to have ruined that soap with bad storylines, such as splitting up Ashley and Laurel, breaking up the Marlon and Paddy friendship etc, yet it rated higher then. Can anyone remember who that previous producer was? :D

My own personal opinion is that Blackburn should go. Something has been lost recently, the comedy has gone from being natural to being shoehorned in badly. The Cricket Match episode was one of the worst I'd seen for years. I also get the feeling he doesn't get Corrie or it's heritage and seems more like it is just a step on the career ladder, and comes across like the sort of loose cannon who would think nothing of axing a Corrie legend just for a quick storyline. I'm surprised he hasn't killed of Audrey or Gail or someone like that.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Christmas 1988 starting with the special Dates through to Christmas 1989 ending with The Jolly Boys Outing was Only Fools at its finest. Series 6 was magnificent and I think Only Fools had one hand on the Best Comedy BAFTA. The final moments of the wedding episode were very poignant....then Blackadder going over the top in the First World War producing the most poignant ending ever in sitcom a few months later in Blackadder Goes Forth stole its thunder.

I cant disagree with that.

Certainly where I was working at the time, OFAH was the tv discussion topic and I think reflected everywhere. I don't think comedy will ever have that kind of impact again sadly.
    The same with Blackadder Goes Forth, the series was excellent but the final episode took that further step into legend.

Sometimes it seems the art of the sitcom was left behind in the last century.
    Forum Member
    I don't have a problem with the ads. Its when they have poor acts take up 10 minutes with their 'story' then back to an ad break. It just seems like a waste.

They've got some great singers but them seem intent on showing the poor acts for long periods as well. The good acts should be for longer, the bad quick to get them out of the way. Why they even said yes to some of them.

They still have poor acts now? But I thought the auditions finished last week? Oh I'm so done with the X Factor hype in this country. Time to move on, world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This channel5 show is pretty decent, it has to be said, great visuals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People always say X Factor will rate poorly then it ends up usually doing well. The ads aren't a problem it's when there's hardly any singing during a programme.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know what discussions are going on behind closed doors. There is only one outcome that would get in the papers, and that would probably be a last resort.

I'd expect as the producer of one of ITV's biggest shows, he is in regular discussions with the top bosses. I expect he keeps telling them that good stuff is coming up.

Ironically Emmerdale is rating worse than under its previous producer. Said previous producer was said to have ruined that soap with bad storylines, such as splitting up Ashley and Laurel, breaking up the Marlon and Paddy friendship etc, yet it rated higher then. Can anyone remember who that previous producer was? :D

My own personal opinion is that Blackburn should go. Something has been lost recently, the comedy has gone from being natural to being shoehorned in badly. The Cricket Match episode was one of the worst I'd seen for years. I also get the feeling he doesn't get Corrie or it's heritage and seems more like it is just a step on the career ladder, and comes across like the sort of loose cannon who would think nothing of axing a Corrie legend just for a quick storyline. I'm surprised he hasn't killed of Audrey or Gail or someone like that.

Sally Lindsay was saying much the same thing in a paper interview today, Corrie ain't what it used to be in her time and she doesn't watch any more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well they are certainly taking their time about it. If they don't get their finger out soon Corrie will be dead before they make an announcement. Look at EastEnders. The poor storylines for 3 years damaged it so much, it now struggles despite a better producer. The viewers have lost faith and will not return full time. Corrie is in danger is loosing many of its loyal viewers that it won't ever get them back. Each year more channels are launched and each year the main 5 channels loose viewers. Corrie is loosing those loyal viewers to other channels for good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    Or perhaps it's a sign that audiences don't want variety, they just want the same shows? There are loads of shows on TV, it's just that very few of them rate highly.

That's a very good point and maybe it is sign of the times. Many watch TV thesedays by flicking through the EPG until they stop on a title they have heard of. Maybe Freeview has been in place long enough now for this situation to start spreading to the main five channels as well.

Regarding the comedies, it isn't as if people have tuned in and then switched off, many don't even switch on at all, but you can guarantee the minute Big School ends and a Mrs Brown repeat turns up, the audience will double!

Another possible explanation is that maybe they should stop running 2 new comedies back to back. ITV did this and also had trouble, There are slots available to just run 1 comedy on its own, if you look hard enough. I suppose the obsession from ALL channels of everything having to be an hour long causes limitations for this, something which didn't occur during the sitcom heyday of the 90s when prime time was made up of many more half hour programmes, so more common junctions.
    Forum Member
    The ads aren't a problem

Indeed. Not least because they're stripped out of the finals. Although in fact didn't some on here speculate that one episode last year might even recieve a boost because of the premiere of the Christmas John Lewis ad? :o:D
  • jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    No problem :) I should start a website or something as I have loads of ratings like that on my laptop doing nothing.

I was astonished at the Antiques Roadshow rating, I didn't realise it was so popular! And at half five in evening too! I love OFAH but series 7 is the weakest series, I don't know what it is but I've just never been able to get into it.

Yeah quite possibly. I know that on Saturday night's in the early 90s, the first half of the evening was won by ITV and the second half by BBC 1. Fascinating stuff!

Funny that because I would definitely say Series 1 is the weakest series of OFAH. But that's understandable, obviously because it was only just starting out then and the people making it weren't to know what a behemoth it would become and how developed the various characters would become
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    I cant disagree with that.

Certainly where I was working at the time, OFAH was the tv discussion topic and I think reflected everywhere. I don't think comedy will ever have that kind of impact again sadly.
    The same with Blackadder Goes Forth, the series was excellent but the final episode took that further step into legend.

Sometimes it seems the art of the sitcom was left behind in the last century.

That scene in the wedding episode where Del is left alone and he takes the groom off the cake is so sad. Perfectly done. It had the studio audience in tears. But the ending to Blackadder Goes Forth was soul destroying. It's rare that any programme has a moment that gives you such an emotional gut kick. It stunned me and no sitcom has had such an emotional moment for me before or since. I think that ending swung the BAFTA vote their way.

Two magnificent studio based sitcoms that wipe the floor with pretty much everything we have now.

It is sad how far sitcom has fallen in terms of popularity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. Not least because they're stripped out of the finals. Although in fact didn't some on here speculate that one episode last year might even recieve a boost because of the premiere of the Christmas John Lewis ad? :o:D

Have ads ever boosted a programme by getting more viewers to watch the show in general before an ad break?
    Forum Member
    Have ads ever boosted a programme by getting more viewers to watch the show in general before an ad break?

I can't imagine so but I'm sure somebody will be along to tell us about the one instance ;-) Maybe the episode of XF on August 31 was actually helped by the Downton trailer rather than hindered :p
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Absoutely magnificent episode of Doctor Who tonight. Deserves the sort of rating it'd never possibly get and more :(

I agree was gobsmacked - an instant classic for me. :)
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Something you dont see very often on here tonight - Andy and HdH arguing about ITV - its like the end of the world. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That scene in the wedding episode where Del is left alone and he takes the groom off the cake is so sad. Perfectly done. It had the studio audience in tears. But the ending to Blackadder Goes Forth was soul destroying. It's rare that any programme has a moment that gives you such an emotional gut kick. It stunned me and no sitcom has had such an emotional moment for me before or since. I think that ending swung the BAFTA vote their way.

Two magnificent studio based sitcoms that wipe the floor with pretty much everything we have now.

It is sad how far sitcom has fallen in terms of popularity.

Tell me about it. The only sitcoms that I can truly watch over and over are: Only Fools, Vicar Of Dibley, Keeping Up Appearances, Blackadder, Some Mothers and Fawlty Towers

I think only MBB has made a similar impact in terms of bringing together so many
    viewers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't imagine so but I'm sure somebody will be along to tell us about the one instance ;-) Maybe the episode of XF on August 31 was actually helped by the Downton trailer rather than hindered :p

Not really caring about x-factor but there were definitely big narratives for ads at one point, the one with Giles from Buffy and plenty others had a big draw, and the new one would be whacked in the middle of Corrie or an huge prog of the time.
This discussion has been closed.